Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

95 v 98 Tune

F1Aussie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 COMMODORE
What I do is a desk top recconasince first

Then visit the shop and see what they have going on, if it is full of street cars I walk away

BUT, if there's a mix of nice new and old street, drag and circuit cars, all in varying states of building, modifying and tuning I will dig a bit deeper, like do they build engines and do engineering and other high end stuff

If so, I'll get them to do a basic service and check on my car, to get a feel for their work and how they price it all up, then, and only then, do I throw coin at them for important stuff

Being in Sydney makes this easy though as there are a few "high end" shops around, so travelling to and from isn't really a issue

I also am willing to pay top dollar for top work

As for travelling, when I was living in QLD I still took my WRX STI to Pulse Racing in Menai NSW because they are experts in all things STI, as well as EVO

There's way to many monkeys out there to risk it

Since the initial purchase my VX it has been going to Autotech Engineering at Clyde NSW for anything mechanical, I have had nothing but good experiences with them and they stand by their work

For my transmission I use Craigs Transmissions at Chipping Norton NSW, again, nothing but good experiences and they stand by their work

Opinions may vary
Wow that is a serious process you have going on there been burnt in the past?

Last edited:

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Wow that is a serious process you have going on there been burnt in the pest?
Yeah, years ago when I had a Ford Bronco with a 351 in it, it went in to remove a LPG tank to run it on straight petrol, he had to fit up the original fuel tank, replace the carby and tune it

Took it to a local "dynotuning" workshop

Ended up doing that, sort of, plus a heap of stuff that I never asked for

When it was ready it was running really bad, he said he serviced the whole car, including the drivetrain, replaced the starter motor and a heap of other stuff, the bill was large, I never asked for the additional work and he never contacted me about it, he said it must have a big cam in it because the thing ran horrible unless you were up it

I was dumd because I never actually ask for a quote, it was all verbal, he said to me "you said fix everything", which I didn't

After leaving I asked around a bit more, turns out the guy couldn't be trusted and charged for work not actually done

Took it to another joint who sorted out the tune and it ran sweet after that

Lesson learnt

Reactions: Lex

18vDrill_SkinOnly

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE SV6 Comm / 22 Ford Mustang 5.0l
Have you made any progress on it? Have been away from the forums for a few days immersing myself in news and updates for my favourite hobby, sim racing.

That's great to hear your has been ironed out and he's put a bit of overlap back into it. You're happy enough cost-wise after this?

With the sim-racing, you mean like i-racing or something? I don't get down for computers much despite doing post-grad in cyber security - a HECS debt I never needed but, you know... YOLO. I play a bit of the latest NASCAR 5 sim. Next year around birthday time am going to fly over to the US and watch some races, Daytona, Talladega, Charlotte. Love circle racing and drag racing.. never got into the others much. Were money no object, I'd have a Mustang Funny Car.. who doesn't want 500km/h in 3.5 seconds...

With mine... fk me is all I can say. This is killing me now. The misfires are coming back with more regularity the more I drive it, today took it for a 70km round trip, and now it's back to misfiring every 10 mins and sometimes every 2 minutes or so. I can put another video up on You Tube of the check engine light doing its balls, that's what Rev High did for my 7k investment with them. That's after they sent a remote tuning file to write in.. fixed things for about a week and then it's slowly going back to **** again.

I think the oil burning smell is just leaking oil hitting the headers when I'm driving at 100km/h or so, around town doing 50 it's all fine. "Just" leaking oil hitting the headers and burning off, this is how desensitized I am to this horseshit now.

Driving home tonight, 100km/h on cruise control - feels like a weird surging or some other type of feeling. Best way I can describe it, it's like being in a small aircraft getting buffeted about by cross winds. It's going forward but it's really working for it.

Something's wrong with it, even making power is pathetic now so it feels.

Next week I'll take it to the local tuner, it's not gonna be cheap... he has to remove the timing chain cover and reseal it again and that's pretty labour intensive, then it'll get re-tuned and dyno'd again which is fine I guess.. I mean, it's a 13 year old engine with some basic go faster mods going onto it's second dyno in 4 weeks so that's clearly not a waste of money.

But so this doesn't sound like just blatant whinging, I have had some small aesthetic wins this week. Got a bob tail and front lip splitter from Mr Bodykits, they fit up really well - basically OEM spec and give it a bit of a different profile. Got a stubby antenna too which looks neater. Need to rethink on my coilovers, went to fit the cheapies I had laying around and they don't strike me as being well... safe. I'll grab something better later on after I've finished hemorrhaging cash on the current issues.

Jeda

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V
That's great to hear your has been ironed out and he's put a bit of overlap back into it. You're happy enough cost-wise after this?

With the sim-racing, you mean like i-racing or something? I don't get down for computers much despite doing post-grad in cyber security - a HECS debt I never needed but, you know... YOLO. I play a bit of the latest NASCAR 5 sim. Next year around birthday time am going to fly over to the US and watch some races, Daytona, Talladega, Charlotte. Love circle racing and drag racing.. never got into the others much. Were money no object, I'd have a Mustang Funny Car.. who doesn't want 500km/h in 3.5 seconds...

With mine... fk me is all I can say. This is killing me now. The misfires are coming back with more regularity the more I drive it, today took it for a 70km round trip, and now it's back to misfiring every 10 mins and sometimes every 2 minutes or so. I can put another video up on You Tube of the check engine light doing its balls, that's what Rev High did for my 7k investment with them. That's after they sent a remote tuning file to write in.. fixed things for about a week and then it's slowly going back to **** again.

I think the oil burning smell is just leaking oil hitting the headers when I'm driving at 100km/h or so, around town doing 50 it's all fine. "Just" leaking oil hitting the headers and burning off, this is how desensitized I am to this horseshit now.

Driving home tonight, 100km/h on cruise control - feels like a weird surging or some other type of feeling. Best way I can describe it, it's like being in a small aircraft getting buffeted about by cross winds. It's going forward but it's really working for it.

Next week I'll take it to the local tuner, it's not gonna be cheap... he has to remove the timing chain cover and reseal it again and that's pretty labour intensive, then it'll get re-tuned and dyno'd again which is fine I guess.. I mean, it's a 13 year old engine with some basic go faster mods going onto it's second dyno in 4 weeks so that's clearly not a waste of money.

But so this doesn't sound like just blatant whinging, I have had some small aesthetic wins this week. Got a bob tail and front lip splitter from Mr Bodykits, they fit up really well - basically OEM spec and give it a bit of a different profile. Got a stubby antenna too which looks neater. Need to rethink on my coilovers, went to fit the cheapies I had laying around and they don't strike me as being well... safe. I'll grab something better later on after I've finished hemorrhaging cash on the current issues.

What have revhigh said following the retune?
Have they said they'd pay for the car to get back to them so they can sort the mechanical issues?
Did the car have any problems prior to taking it to them?

The misfires and lack of power sound like a timing issue.

F1Aussie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 COMMODORE
Yeah, years ago when I had a Ford Bronco with a 351 in it, it went in to remove a LPG tank to run it on straight petrol, he had to fit up the original fuel tank, replace the carby and tune it

Took it to a local "dynotuning" workshop

Ended up doing that, sort of, plus a heap of stuff that I never asked for

When it was ready it was running really bad, he said he serviced the whole car, including the drivetrain, replaced the starter motor and a heap of other stuff, the bill was large, I never asked for the additional work and he never contacted me about it, he said it must have a big cam in it because the thing ran horrible unless you were up it

I was dumd because I never actually ask for a quote, it was all verbal, he said to me "you said fix everything", which I didn't

After leaving I asked around a bit more, turns out the guy couldn't be trusted and charged for work not actually done

Took it to another joint who sorted out the tune and it ran sweet after that

Lesson learnt
Ah the good old clevo's. I had four of them over the years. It does not sound like the industry is closely regulated like many others are. There is so much variation in quality of work and honesty of those working in it, doesn't give the industry a good name.

F1Aussie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 COMMODORE

Cost me just under 700 bucks to get the tune sorted out, the guy spent a full 7 hours on it and he is a fricken genius. The deadspot down low was a fuel trim issue apparently and the surging bunnyhopping was apparently the cam trying to lope while cruising along. I think he said he took some of the exhaust timing out of it to fix it. Fuel usage seems better too now.

He did say that a lot of the fuel trims were out by up to 25% and that there were a lot of things changed in the tune that did not need changing and that some things had been adjusted as if it was an LS engine. He wasn't overly impressed by what had been done to it previously. He mentioned that it should make more torque in the low range now with the fixups done and it does seem slightly better on the throttle in that respect.

So overall very happy with the job he did, he even called me this morning to see how it was going and if I was happy with it. Restored my faith in the industry, its just a shame it cost extra to get it fixed but I don't believe $400 trips to Melbourne for half hour touchups would ever have fixed it. My last contact from Revhigh was that they didn't think they could tune out the light throttle deadspot. I did not bother replying to it. It's a shame cos they are nice people and seem pretty transparent.

Have been sim racing for about 15 years now, have a 20k setup, don't race online due to time zone differences and the odd hours I get to do it. I am pretty active on a number of sim racing forums, the whole thing is pretty addictive.

Wow sounds like you travel a bit, Thailand for training, the US for racing, you will be on space X next, lol.

It almost sounds like Revhigh should have to pay to put your car on a flatbed to get it down there to fix it at their own cost. Have they tried to make contact with you to enquire about how it is going now?

Last edited:

18vDrill_SkinOnly

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE SV6 Comm / 22 Ford Mustang 5.0l
What have revhigh said following the retune?
Have they said they'd pay for the car to get back to them so they can sort the mechanical issues?
Did the car have any problems prior to taking it to them?

The misfires and lack of power sound like a timing issue.

Hi, I've been observing/noting these things over the past fortnight and haven't gone back to them with any update on what's happening. But I'm also pretty burnt from dealing with them (despite they are genuinely good people) so I doubt I'll get back in touch to keep going back and forth. I live 7.5 hours away from them too so just dropping it in isn't really an option.

With the mechanical issues, re: leaking/unsealed timing chain cover, they will rectify the work under warranty if I take it back. They're not shying away from it, but how much would you be inclined to trust someone after this? Mistakes happen, I'm not here to crucify anyone but at the same time I have to think about the implications of the job not being done properly again, and potentially again after that. I care more about the engine not seizing on me on a rural highway between towns more than anybody's reputation though.

The only actual issue was needing a timing chain replacement.

I asked for the sump to be dropped and cleaned as there was some sludge built up in the engine too. There was a bit, but nothing which caused them much concern. I'd assume if the engine was flogged then it wouldn't make sense to install performance parts into it and they probably would have advised me of that.

I had the other mods installed on the basis that if the timing chains were being replaced it made sense from a labour cost perspective to have the other mods done at the same time.

Ignition timing or cam timing though?

Cost me just under 700 bucks to get the tune sorted out, the guy spent a full 7 hours on it and he is a fricken genius. The deadspot down low was a fuel trim issue apparently and the surging bunnyhopping was apparently the cam trying to lope while cruising along. I think he said he took some of the exhaust timing out of it to fix it. Fuel usage seems better too now.

He did say that a lot of the fuel trims were out by up to 25% and that there were a lot of things changed in the tune that did not need changing and that some things had been adjusted as if it was an LS engine. He wasn't overly impressed by what had been done to it previously. He mentioned that it should make more torque in the low range now with the fixups done and it does seem slightly better on the throttle in that respect.

So overall very happy with the job he did, he even called me this morning to see how it was going and if I was happy with it. Restored my faith in the industry, its just a shame it cost extra to get it fixed but I don't believe $400 trips to Melbourne for half hour touchups would ever have fixed it. My last contact from Revhigh wS that they didn't think they could tune out the light throttle deadset. I did not bother replying to it. It's a shame cos they are nice people and seem pretty transparent.

Have been sim racing for about 15 years now, have a 20k setup, don't race online due to time zone differences and the odd hours I get to do it. I am pretty active on a number of sim racing forums, the whole thing is pretty addictive.

Wow sounds like you travel a bit, Thailand for training, the US for racing, you will be on space X next, lol.

It almost sounds like Revhigh should have to pay to put your car on a flatbed to get it down there to fix it at their own cost. Have they tried to make contact with you to enquire about how it is going now?

Wow, that sounds like a pog of a tune lol, good on him for taking the day to work through it though, sounds like 700 well spent - albeit shouldn't have been required in the first place. Will be interested to hear how it gets on over the next few weeks. Why would he have tuned parts of it like an LS though... I guess based on their capability that's what they'd so though - can't tune out the deadspot, but there are clearly others out there who can to an extent.. as some of the other guys have been saying, it seems the capability amongst them varies wildly.. which seems pretty logical.

How good is that, he actually gave you a buzz to see how it's tracking, mate it sounds like you've found a tuner from here out with that customer service and ability to fix a shoddy tune.

Haha, probably not on space X - divorced in 2013 and never looked back, can travel and just dick about now, wouldn't entertain it again this lifetime unless she was 100% what I was looking for.

Nah, they haven't really been in touch unless I get in touch with them first and I don't really get heaps out of them, one or two lines and that;s about it. I've given up contacting them as it's just not really all that fruitful. Haha, you know what, I'd just as sooner they pay for the rectifications made locally, I'd also have to get down to them and pick up the car again - I'll ask the local bloke to take some photos of the work done so I have a record of the issues. I think this is going to be a case of taking it on the chin, paying what's necessary and just moving on with life.

Something in the back of my mind says there is even more of a shitfight than what's immediately obvious here.

F1Aussie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 COMMODORE
Hi, I've been observing/noting these things over the past fortnight and haven't gone back to them with any update on what's happening. But I'm also pretty burnt from dealing with them (despite they are genuinely good people) so I doubt I'll get back in touch to keep going back and forth. I live 7.5 hours away from them too so just dropping it in isn't really an option.

With the mechanical issues, re: leaking/unsealed timing chain cover, they will rectify the work under warranty if I take it back. They're not shying away from it, but how much would you be inclined to trust someone after this? Mistakes happen, I'm not here to crucify anyone but at the same time I have to think about the implications of the job not being done properly again, and potentially again after that. I care more about the engine not seizing on me on a rural highway between towns more than anybody's reputation though.

The only actual issue was needing a timing chain replacement.

I asked for the sump to be dropped and cleaned as there was some sludge built up in the engine too. There was a bit, but nothing which caused them much concern. I'd assume if the engine was flogged then it wouldn't make sense to install performance parts into it and they probably would have advised me of that.

I had the other mods installed on the basis that if the timing chains were being replaced it made sense from a labour cost perspective to have the other mods done at the same time.

Ignition timing or cam timing though?

Wow, that sounds like a pog of a tune lol, good on him for taking the day to work through it though, sounds like 700 well spent - albeit shouldn't have been required in the first place. Will be interested to hear how it gets on over the next few weeks. Why would he have tuned parts of it like an LS though... I guess based on their capability that's what they'd so though - can't tune out the deadspot, but there are clearly others out there who can to an extent.. as some of the other guys have been saying, it seems the capability amongst them varies wildly.. which seems pretty logical.

How good is that, he actually gave you a buzz to see how it's tracking, mate it sounds like you've found a tuner from here out with that customer service and ability to fix a shoddy tune.

Haha, probably not on space X - divorced in 2013 and never looked back, can travel and just dick about now, wouldn't entertain it again this lifetime unless she was 100% what I was looking for.

Nah, they haven't really been in touch unless I get in touch with them first and I don't really get heaps out of them, one or two lines and that;s about it. I've given up contacting them as it's just not really all that fruitful. Haha, you know what, I'd just as sooner they pay for the rectifications made locally, I'd also have to get down to them and pick up the car again - I'll ask the local bloke to take some photos of the work done so I have a record of the issues. I think this is going to be a case of taking it on the chin, paying what's necessary and just moving on with life.

Something in the back of my mind says there is even more of a shitfight than what's immediately obvious here.
Cam timing is what he dialled back on the exhaust side. Yeah the tune was pretty nasty in spots, was well spent to get it running the way it should be.

The irony in all this is that he has only ever tuned a couple of alloytecs as he is usually working on LSs. The alloytec expert we both went to hasn't turned out to be too expert.

Yeah I know where I will be taking my car in the future. Probably should have gone to them first as they do engine work and restorations. And I know now they have a good reputation locally. I had not heard of them early enough though. They are called San Mateo Performance Systems.

It is a shame that after their cock-ups they have not been more proactive in rectifying it for you. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if it was me.

I am curious to hear how it all pans out for you.

Reactions: Lex

F1Aussie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 COMMODORE
Iracing? what series do you run?
Not iracing I don't like their business model of making you pay a fortune for individual tracks and cars and then not being able to access them unless you pay a monthly subscription on top of it. They can go and get fu@#ed with that idea.

I now mainly play AMS2 got more hours on that than any other sim.