Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

95 v 98 Tune

18vDrill_SkinOnly

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE SV6 Comm / 22 Ford Mustang 5.0l
Cam timing is what he dialled back on the exhaust side. Yeah the tune was pretty nasty in spots, was well spent to get it running the way it should be.

The irony in all this is that he has only ever tuned a couple of alloytecs as he is usually working on LSs. The alloytec expert we both went to hasn't turned out to be too expert.

Yeah I know where I will be taking my car in the future. Probably should have gone to them first as they do engine work and restorations. And I know now they have a good reputation locally. I had not heard of them early enough though. They are called San Mateo Performance Systems.

It is a shame that after their cock-ups they have not been more proactive in rectifying it for you. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if it was me.

I am curious to hear how it all pans out for you.

Haha, isn't always the way... I guess its more of an attitude thing, your local bloke might not have done many alloytecs, but he's got the nouse and experience to make the connections and do something right. We're spoiled for choice when it comes to LS here, in retrospect I should have just spent the cash on an LS conversion, would be infinitely easier to do literally everything.

Here's a couple of the earlier vids of misfiring which as I mentioned is steadily increasing again.

I mean the thing which pisses me the most is his work wheels is a supercharged LY7 - basically the very thing I have minus the blower... yeah same, I'd be doing whatever I could to work this out if this was my workmanship on display. I think it might be a generational thing, like they won't even actually pick up the phone and call, it's all done by email and instagram texting.

Goes in next Tuesday, hopefully that will be the end of my sooking.

F1Aussie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 COMMODORE
Haha, isn't always the way... I guess its more of an attitude thing, your local bloke might not have done many alloytecs, but he's got the nouse and experience to make the connections and do something right. We're spoiled for choice when it comes to LS here, in retrospect I should have just spent the cash on an LS conversion, would be infinitely easier to do literally everything.

Here's a couple of the earlier vids of misfiring which as I mentioned is steadily increasing again.

I mean the thing which pisses me the most is his work wheels is a supercharged LY7 - basically the very thing I have minus the blower... yeah same, I'd be doing whatever I could to work this out if this was my workmanship on display. I think it might be a generational thing, like they won't even actually pick up the phone and call, it's all done by email and instagram texting.

Goes in next Tuesday, hopefully that will be the end of my sooking.
Yeah, I guess if you have the skill and knowledge you should be able to tune different engines, I would imagine there is a bit of similarity between all of them. With the luck you are having atm, an LS conversion may get messed up too.

Interesting videos, sounds a bit like a tractor in the first one. In the second video does it do that only at idle or all the time or is it random?

I did not realise his ute was SC. So his works no prob but not the customers, interesting...... I wonder if there are multiple mechs that do the engine work for them and it is just pot luck if you get a good one and one that doesn't know the difference between a spanner and a screwdriver.

Hope it gets sorted then, at least you should only be a few days away from getting it sorted and having a nice drive.

Reactions: Lex

18vDrill_SkinOnly

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah, I guess if you have the skill and knowledge you should be able to tune different engines, I would imagine there is a bit of similarity between all of them. With the luck you are having atm, an LS conversion may get messed up too.

Interesting videos, sounds a bit like a tractor in the first one. In the second video does it do that only at idle or all the time or is it random?

I did not realise his ute was SC. So his works no prob but not the customers, interesting...... I wonder if there are multiple mechs that do the engine work for them and it is just pot luck if you get a good one and one that doesn't know the difference between a spanner and a screwdriver.

Hope it gets sorted then, at least you should only be a few days away from getting it sorted and having a nice drive.
Haha, would probably come back with a 161 red motor and bits from a 308 hanging off it..

In the second vid, that's pretty much whenever it feels like. With the retune it has dropped doing that at idle, but with longer drives (45 mins or more) I'm finding it's gone from zero, to one, to now one every few minutes.

It brings me back to wondering if there is a mechanical thing they've borked like valve seals or something which was exacerbated by the overlap initially, but after tuning that out it slowed down the number of misfires, but didn't completely get rid of them as there's still a mechanical issue. Don't know.

Yeah, on the side it says LY7-SC, we chatted about it a bit. There are multiple local mechs that do the work depending on how busy it gets. Mine went to one on the Monday I dropped it off, sat there for two days, got moved and it all went downhill from there.

F1Aussie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 COMMODORE
Haha, would probably come back with a 161 red motor and bits from a 308 hanging off it..

In the second vid, that's pretty much whenever it feels like. With the retune it has dropped doing that at idle, but with longer drives (45 mins or more) I'm finding it's gone from zero, to one, to now one every few minutes.

It brings me back to wondering if there is a mechanical thing they've borked like valve seals or something which was exacerbated by the overlap initially, but after tuning that out it slowed down the number of misfires, but didn't completely get rid of them as there's still a mechanical issue. Don't know.

Yeah, on the side it says LY7-SC, we chatted about it a bit. There are multiple local mechs that do the work depending on how busy it gets. Mine went to one on the Monday I dropped it off, sat there for two days, got moved and it all went downhill from there.
Or maybe a prius engine in it, lol. Could well be a combo or mech and tune. Interesting multiple mechs, there may well be a difference in ability or care taken in the work. If it was my business I would be making sure I only use reputable ones as it is your name on the line.

If you look at reviews they review well, that is one of the reasons why I went there. And people are commenting about great work and tuning. There are a couple of horror stories of course, there always is.

18vDrill_SkinOnly

Reaction score
Members Ride
Or maybe a prius engine in it, lol. Could well be a combo or mech and tune. Interesting multiple mechs, there may well be a difference in ability or care taken in the work. If it was my business I would be making sure I only use reputable ones as it is your name on the line.

If you look at reviews they review well, that is one of the reasons why I went there. And people are commenting about great work and tuning. There are a couple of horror stories of course, there always is.

haha, it reminds me of a trip to Indonesia in 1997, i saw an old HQ with a 4 pot fitted to it - over there they have/or had some weird engine policies and as you could imagine it barely moved under its own weight with only 4 cylinders. I took some pics, but back then it was all wet film which I know you'll remember, where those pics are now is anyone's guess. Can you believe they actually swapped out the 202 for a 4 cylinder???

Despite what's happened in my case, the guy who did the work to mine is pretty decent at what he does (he also checked my brakes because of a sound it was making - had nothing to do with his work, but just being thorough), he's been around a while.

Mine is/was more like a combination of factors which led to where I'm at now. Mostly related to the timing cover crack being located late on Friday and I was supposed to pick it up on Saturday. The gasket sealant never really had a chance to settle because the guy had to work like the clappers to get it ready for collection. If I lived locally all of this would have been taken care of weeks ago so I don't want to give an impression I think they're a bunch of turds for what's happened. I mean it just so happened to the guy that lives 700km away.

Having worked in emergency services and served in the military it gives a guy some perspective on how bigger issue this really is.. it's a pain in the arse to be sure, but i'm still breathing and have a roof over my head so how bad is it really.. however, if i ended up with a Prius engine, you better believe i would raise hell lol.

Had I said, I'll get it on Monday arvo I have a feeling the situation might be different as far as the leak goes - just having to dick about with tuning is okay, I wouldn't be too cut up about that.

Hey, so have you taken yours out for a bit of a thrash yet? How's it handling now? Any future works you're thinking about?

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
haha, it reminds me of a trip to Indonesia in 1997, i saw an old HQ with a 4 pot fitted to it - over there they have/or had some weird engine policies and as you could imagine it barely moved under its own weight with only 4 cylinders. I took some pics, but back then it was all wet film which I know you'll remember, where those pics are now is anyone's guess. Can you believe they actually swapped out the 202 for a 4 cylinder???

Despite what's happened in my case, the guy who did the work to mine is pretty decent at what he does (he also checked my brakes because of a sound it was making - had nothing to do with his work, but just being thorough), he's been around a while.

Mine is/was more like a combination of factors which led to where I'm at now. Mostly related to the timing cover crack being located late on Friday and I was supposed to pick it up on Saturday. The gasket sealant never really had a chance to settle because the guy had to work like the clappers to get it ready for collection. If I lived locally all of this would have been taken care of weeks ago so I don't want to give an impression I think they're a bunch of turds for what's happened. I mean it just so happened to the guy that lives 700km away.

Having worked in emergency services and served in the military it gives a guy some perspective on how bigger issue this really is.. it's a pain in the arse to be sure, but i'm still breathing and have a roof over my head so how bad is it really.. however, if i ended up with a Prius engine, you better believe i would raise hell lol.

Had I said, I'll get it on Monday arvo I have a feeling the situation might be different as far as the leak goes - just having to dick about with tuning is okay, I wouldn't be too cut up about that.

Hey, so have you taken yours out for a bit of a thrash yet? How's it handling now? Any future works you're thinking about?
FYSA

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_Roadpacer_AP

F1Aussie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 COMMODORE

Wow, wouldn't pull the skin off a pudding I imagine. Did you meet the guy who did your work? I see so needed more curing time. I am surprised they left it so late, especially if they knew when it had to be ready by.

What did you do in military and how long were you in it for?

So I guess today is the big day for you, it goes in for its fixups?

Gave it its first bit of stick on the weekend, it went hard, was happy about that. I need to put a timer on it to get a 0-100 time now. I have a Bluetooth scanner and app that plugs into the obd port and it has some timing functionality on it.

At this point in time just looking at some braided brake lines and a couple of new rims to replace a couple with some scrapes and marks on them and might do the pcv mod and buy a few bits and pieces for spare parts.

Reactions: Lex

18vDrill_SkinOnly

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wow, wouldn't pull the skin off a pudding I imagine. Did you meet the guy who did your work? I see so needed more curing time. I am surprised they left it so late, especially if they knew when it had to be ready by.

What did you do in military and how long were you in it for?

So I guess today is the big day for you, it goes in for its fixups?

Gave it its first bit of stick on the weekend, it went hard, was happy about that. I need to put a timer on it to get a 0-100 time now. I have a Bluetooth scanner and app that plugs into the obd port and it has some timing functionality on it.

At this point in time just looking at some braided brake lines and a couple of new rims to replace a couple with some scrapes and marks on them and might do the pcv mod and buy a few bits and pieces for spare parts.

Yeah, I met him a couple of times. He's a good guy, nothing bad to say about him, just this **** happened.. he was trying to do the right thing by me with replacing the timing chain cover but the seals were no good.

Joined up when I was 17 and 9 months and went through both Navy and Army, did a bit over 7 years all up. Worked in an intel role with Navy and then into a combat role with Army - usually people go the other way around after their body breaks. Knees or back more often than not.

Speaking of broken body, i have a chronic injury from my time in the green machine (which most will). Mine causes cracking migraines without much warning.. which happened yesterday morning so I didn't take it in. Have to rebook but am busy af atm so finding the time is a bit of a challenge.

Al sent me another tune file to try which I wrote in this evening. Hard to say if it's good to go though - the last one he sent did fix everything, but it seemed to detune itself over a few weeks. It's started to get to the point where the old Italian tune up doesn't clear the misfires and I have to pull over and shut it off and restart. Now that **** is embarrassing when you've overtaken a few cars on the highway and then they're tootling past while I'm parked off the highway trying to clear misfires lol.....

The PCV mod is an absolute beauty - easy to do too. Can you get the rims fixed up, they're the alloy series 2 ones, right? I always liked them better than the series 1 alloys on the SV6. I put on a set of rims which I bought at Ozzy Tyres. Flex by Hussla I think they're called. Shitty name, but they look good - all the younger hoons around town comment on them lol.

F1Aussie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 COMMODORE
Yeah, I met him a couple of times. He's a good guy, nothing bad to say about him, just this **** happened.. he was trying to do the right thing by me with replacing the timing chain cover but the seals were no good.

Joined up when I was 17 and 9 months and went through both Navy and Army, did a bit over 7 years all up. Worked in an intel role with Navy and then into a combat role with Army - usually people go the other way around after their body breaks. Knees or back more often than not.

Speaking of broken body, i have a chronic injury from my time in the green machine (which most will). Mine causes cracking migraines without much warning.. which happened yesterday morning so I didn't take it in. Have to rebook but am busy af atm so finding the time is a bit of a challenge.

Al sent me another tune file to try which I wrote in this evening. Hard to say if it's good to go though - the last one he sent did fix everything, but it seemed to detune itself over a few weeks. It's started to get to the point where the old Italian tune up doesn't clear the misfires and I have to pull over and shut it off and restart. Now that **** is embarrassing when you've overtaken a few cars on the highway and then they're tootling past while I'm parked off the highway trying to clear misfires lol.....

The PCV mod is an absolute beauty - easy to do too. Can you get the rims fixed up, they're the alloy series 2 ones, right? I always liked them better than the series 1 alloys on the SV6. I put on a set of rims which I bought at Ozzy Tyres. Flex by Hussla I think they're called. Shitty name, but they look good - all the younger hoons around town comment on them lol.
Your story is a little like one of my mates, he joined up straight out of high school and was an apc driver. He then got out grew his hair long and became a stoner, then cleaned his act back up and went in as a medic second time round. He now works for the AFP.

I wonder how it managed to detune itself, did not know they could do that. I hope I don't have to go that type of embarrassment, have had some hilarious stuff happen over the years including flinging a bonnet into the bush off the side of a highway.

I think the gouging on two of the rims is too deep to polished out. I did buy one new online and the spare is perfect so when get new tyres will use those two and then should be good. Yes they are the series 2 ones. Haven't heard of those rims before what do they look like?