Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

95 v 98 Tune

18vDrill_SkinOnly

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE SV6 Comm / 22 Ford Mustang 5.0l
So some good news so far - the team at RevHigh did a great job fixing on the leaks and whatnot. There were a few seals which were replaced and now it's a sealed unit again.

The purge solenoid was replaced and it looks like that one way valve had worn out as it's very much a two way valve now. Props to them, they replaced it at no cost.

I've got to drop past tomorrow or Sat to have them touch up on the tune once more - it's fine, but I need all the lump written out, the engine can't take it. I drove for about 30mins and it was purring before it started going nuts again. P0300, 301, 303, 305 codes started back up, plus the power loss, the shuddering, the changed/muffled exhaust note etc. needing a bootful to clear it until it starts again a few minutes later.

It's obv a slightly more involved issue with my engine specifically.. working out what/if anything can be done to set it right is where I'm at now. It seems to start happening when I'm sitting on 100km/h or more for a period of time, e.g. highway driving. After about 30 mins usually.

Literally every time the problem initiates itself after a cold start, it's always when I'm driving on the highway - just cruising around town is fine. Once you're back in town after the problems have started out on the highway it just keeps playing up until you shut it down and the engine cools down again.

Engines are a bit like people I guess, you could have two which are ostensibly very similar, but can react differently to the same stimulus. F1 and I had very similar work done, slightly different engines, but pretty much the same - two quite different outcomes.

What I will say though notwithstanding the misfires, they have done a really good job in following this one up and trying to get it solved so far. It's a shitty problem which requires some more perseverance but I will have a final answer to what the resolution is/was... I've been looking around online for info and lots of people talk about misfires after installing bigger cams, but I'm yet to see anything which categorically discusses tuning/mechanical issues etc or any steps taken to resolve.

If nothing else, when it's sorted I can make a thread for anyone else with an LY7 which goes through similar things so they can get it fixed quickly... so about <0.000000000000001% of people out there. It's good to be useful lol

F1Aussie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 COMMODORE
So some good news so far - the team at RevHigh did a great job fixing on the leaks and whatnot. There were a few seals which were replaced and now it's a sealed unit again.

The purge solenoid was replaced and it looks like that one way valve had worn out as it's very much a two way valve now. Props to them, they replaced it at no cost.

I've got to drop past tomorrow or Sat to have them touch up on the tune once more - it's fine, but I need all the lump written out, the engine can't take it. I drove for about 30mins and it was purring before it started going nuts again. P0300, 301, 303, 305 codes started back up, plus the power loss, the shuddering, the changed/muffled exhaust note etc. needing a bootful to clear it until it starts again a few minutes later.

It's obv a slightly more involved issue with my engine specifically.. working out what/if anything can be done to set it right is where I'm at now. It seems to start happening when I'm sitting on 100km/h or more for a period of time, e.g. highway driving. After about 30 mins usually.

Literally every time the problem initiates itself after a cold start, it's always when I'm driving on the highway - just cruising around town is fine. Once you're back in town after the problems have started out on the highway it just keeps playing up until you shut it down and the engine cools down again.

Engines are a bit like people I guess, you could have two which are ostensibly very similar, but can react differently to the same stimulus. F1 and I had very similar work done, slightly different engines, but pretty much the same - two quite different outcomes.

What I will say though notwithstanding the misfires, they have done a really good job in following this one up and trying to get it solved so far. It's a shitty problem which requires some more perseverance but I will have a final answer to what the resolution is/was... I've been looking around online for info and lots of people talk about misfires after installing bigger cams, but I'm yet to see anything which categorically discusses tuning/mechanical issues etc or any steps taken to resolve.

If nothing else, when it's sorted I can make a thread for anyone else with an LY7 which goes through similar things so they can get it fixed quickly... so about <0.000000000000001% of people out there. It's good to be useful lol
That's quite the update there, sounds like things are on the way to being sorted. Surprising that the seals were only an issue after the initial work was done.

I am a bit surprised about the tuning though. I have been frequenting an alloyec fb page and there are a number of posts on there of guys having their engine cammed and not had tuning issues. Might be worth checking it out.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
need to see if its actual misfires or just the ecu thinking its misfires, the misfires should be disabled with a camshaft, as u have seen there is no way to tune a camshaft around it as its designed for a factory cam timing, either the misfire tables need to be increased to suit the new time of the camshaft or maxed out and disabled then u wont ever see it trigger again, if u still get actual misfires after that then its a mechanical issue, if they use hptuners and cant disable those because of the new updates just get the file and send it to me i have old versions and can turn off/disable all that stuff

18vDrill_SkinOnly

Reaction score
Members Ride
That's quite the update there, sounds like things are on the way to being sorted. Surprising that the seals were only an issue after the initial work was done.

I am a bit surprised about the tuning though. I have been frequenting an alloyec fb page and there are a number of posts on there of guys having their engine cammed and not had tuning issues. Might be worth checking it out.
Do you have a link for that? Would be interested to have a look. Went back today for a touch up and drove back to where I’m staying without any issues. Fingers crossed it’ll be up for the long drive back tomorrow.

need to see if its actual misfires or just the ecu thinking its misfires, the misfires should be disabled with a camshaft, as u have seen there is no way to tune a camshaft around it as its designed for a factory cam timing, either the misfire tables need to be increased to suit the new time of the camshaft or maxed out and disabled then u wont ever see it trigger again, if u still get actual misfires after that then its a mechanical issue, if they use hptuners and cant disable those because of the new updates just get the file and send it to me i have old versions and can turn off/disable all that stuff
Thanks mate - I’ll keep that in mind. It’s been a very big learning experience for sure. I’ve read up as much as I can find on the problem and the one which made most sense was cam sensor not happy as it expects smoother lope, and starts triggering misfires because of it. So the misfire tables need to be maxed out. But mostly from reading it seems like the solution is as individual as the engine.

What all of this has done though is made me more interested in learning how to tune.

F1Aussie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 COMMODORE
Do you have a link for that? Would be interested to have a look. Went back today for a touch up and drove back to where I’m staying without any issues. Fingers crossed it’ll be up for the long drive back tomorrow.

Thanks mate - I’ll keep that in mind. It’s been a very big learning experience for sure. I’ve read up as much as I can find on the problem and the one which made most sense was cam sensor not happy as it expects smoother lope, and starts triggering misfires because of it. So the misfire tables need to be maxed out. But mostly from reading it seems like the solution is as individual as the engine.

What all of this has done though is made me more interested in learning how to tune.
It is a private group so you will have to join, you might need to look back a bit at some of the older posts about cams, I asked a guy a question at one stage too. https://m.facebook.com/groups/2578999902421363/

18vDrill_SkinOnly

Reaction score
Members Ride
It is a private group so you will have to join, you might need to look back a bit at some of the older posts about cams, I asked a guy a question at one stage too. https://m.facebook.com/groups/2578999902421363/

Thanks, I'll have to make a Fb account to get at it, but might be worth a read.

Interesting drive back today - way less issues actually was a pretty peaceful drive back, but also got more clarity on what seems to be the problem.

It's fuel related I think - or air related (e.g. vacuum leak). I don't think it's a vacuum leak though because the vacuum pressure on my scanner is telling me there is about 17-20 mmhg.

I've been able to narrow it down to the following (relative to this tune):

- When it goes downhill and the DFCO kicks in it causes an event.. shuddering, power loss, change in exhaust note (sounds like it's only running on 3 cylinders).. going downhill with it in a higher rpm range prevents this usually.
- If I'm driving in manual mode and give it a bootful in 5th gear it causes an event. Went to overtake, forgot I was in M5 and caused it to error out.

In both scenarios it appears to me that it's a lack of fuel which is causing the problems which leads to too much air being in the mix. Or way too much air which needs me to rev the **** out of it to clear it and the shuddering etc.

By the time I got back to a 50 zone it was playing up pretty frequently - it's like the longer it spent doing 120km/h it was fine, the moment there was less fuel getting through via acceleration etc. it was just hectic. Deceleration / DFCO seems to be a pretty big culprit. It's really weird how it drives great for a day then just starts to **** itself though over longer drives.

I'm thinking the first place to start is fuel delivery system.. maybe the injectors have had it, the lines might be clogged, the pump might be clapping out.. who knows.

F1Aussie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 COMMODORE
Thanks, I'll have to make a Fb account to get at it, but might be worth a read.

Interesting drive back today - way less issues actually was a pretty peaceful drive back, but also got more clarity on what seems to be the problem.

It's fuel related I think - or air related (e.g. vacuum leak). I don't think it's a vacuum leak though because the vacuum pressure on my scanner is telling me there is about 17-20 mmhg.

I've been able to narrow it down to the following (relative to this tune):

- When it goes downhill and the DFCO kicks in it causes an event.. shuddering, power loss, change in exhaust note (sounds like it's only running on 3 cylinders).. going downhill with it in a higher rpm range prevents this usually.
- If I'm driving in manual mode and give it a bootful in 5th gear it causes an event. Went to overtake, forgot I was in M5 and caused it to error out.

In both scenarios it appears to me that it's a lack of fuel which is causing the problems which leads to too much air being in the mix. Or way too much air which needs me to rev the **** out of it to clear it and the shuddering etc.

By the time I got back to a 50 zone it was playing up pretty frequently - it's like the longer it spent doing 120km/h it was fine, the moment there was less fuel getting through via acceleration etc. it was just hectic. Deceleration / DFCO seems to be a pretty big culprit. It's really weird how it drives great for a day then just starts to **** itself though over longer drives.

I'm thinking the first place to start is fuel delivery system.. maybe the injectors have had it, the lines might be clogged, the pump might be clapping out.. who knows.
The drivability issues I had were mainly fuel related. Revhigh adjusted the fuel trims and the local guy said they were all out of whack. He said a lot of the settings were changed and did not need to be as the cams are quite mild. He spent around 7 hours playing with the tuning but a majority of what he did was fixing the fuel settings and that pretty much sorted everything out.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
DFCO is a fuel cut when u are decelerating so is normal to feel like it's not running right because it's just an air pump then no fuel is being injected, maby the settings to enable/disable DFCO with the new cam need adjusting

F1Aussie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 COMMODORE
DFCO is a fuel cut when u are decelerating so is normal to feel like it's not running right because it's just an air pump then no fuel is being injected, maby the settings to enable/disable DFCO with the new cam need adjusting
That is until you are almost at a stop right? Like it injects fuel in to stop stalling? If I roll off the throttle eventually the instant fuel shows it coasting along and using 0 fuel but then as I am almost at a stop it shows up to about 13 litres on instant fuel until I come to a full stop where it sits on the idle fuel of about 2.5 litres

Last edited: