Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

96 VS Senator #690

spud_22

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS-V Wagon, VS UTE, 96 VS Senator
Lim leak? I have sprayed the whole top of the engine lol. Going to look at the vacuum ball thing when I get time and make sure all the lines are right from that. I'm also going to put the old TB back on just to see if it is that.

H

harrop.senator

Lowering intake manifold. Gasket may be slightly not sealing somewhere.

spud_22

Reaction score
Members Ride
So today I did the old blow cigar smoke into one of the vacuum lines and look for where it leaks out. Replaced a few lines that looked as if they were leaking or just old. Still getting error 36 vacuum leak. not happy lol.

I have been thinking maybe its the TB, because the new TB has been bored out the butterfly now closes more. Iv noticed on the old TB when the butterfly is closed it sits half on the lager side vacuum line inlet. Now on the new one because it closes more it doesn't sit on that inlet, could this be a problem?
Sorry I should have cleaned it so its easier to see. this is the standard TB.
IMG_4553.JPG_zps9wtbboak.jpeg

IMG_4554.JPG_zpsbnvuzmvz.jpeg

IMG_4554.JPG_zpsbnvuzmvz.jpeg

IMG_4555.JPG_zpsycxz6qk1.jpeg

Also got new engine cover badges.
IMG_4552.JPG_zpsttymy08t.jpeg

spud_22

Reaction score
Members Ride
Put the old TB back on today, no more vacuum leak code. AHHHHHHH not happy. Inspected the 70mm TB and compared to the stock one the butterfly was a lot more ajar. Could this cause error 36 (vacuum leak)? Anyway fiddled with the screw,got a lot nicer idle but still have the code. Might just bin it and cut my loses.

spud_22

Reaction score
Members Ride
So 70mm TB has been introduced to the bin and the stock one is on. Now my TPS has packed up lol it didn't like being taken off and on. New one on the way. Buying a sandblaster this weekend and getting the engine covers and wheels ready for paint.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
That sucks. To fix that issue with the hole in the ported TB fill the holes with some steel putty (or something similar). When it's set smooth off and then drill through via the vacuum fittings to the original size.

spud_22

Reaction score
Members Ride
That sucks. To fix that issue with the hole in the ported TB fill the holes with some steel putty (or something similar). When it's set smooth off and then drill through via the vacuum fittings to the original size.
It has already had that done to it. I picked it up pretty cheap so just going to cut my losses. Doesn't worry me that much, I'm just keen to be able to drive it around once the new TPS gets here. Done less than 50km in 4 weeks.

spud_22

Reaction score
Members Ride
Trying to keep busy with this and the crappy weather. Working on the wheels ATM trying to get them ready for the RE003s. Only working on 2 right now as I don't want to over commit. Hopefully paint and clear sometime this week.

Before
IMG_4624.JPG_zpsm04j1u7z.jpeg

IMG_4623.JPG_zpsxtemhu3h.jpeg

Sanded/Sandblasted
IMG_4629.JPG_zpsjpgscsix.jpeg

Filled
IMG_4630.JPG_zps3mor8oov.jpeg

Primed
IMG_4632.JPG_zpsyjmmkskd.jpeg

spud_22

Reaction score
Members Ride
Decided that I could have done a better job rubbing the rims back, so started all over again and got them perfect.
Panit is on
IMG_4646.JPG_zpskkge5bcy.jpeg

and clear
IMG_4645.JPG_zpsrs5chbq5.jpeg

Going to do the inside of the rim tomorrow after the clear has had time to harden.