Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

'97 Caprice SHYGMH

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
Why on earth did they do that??

alot of performance engine shop ground the numbers (so ive been told) i have no idea why tho??

If he blew out cats then they were obviously blocked to begin with. No way in hell a stock 165 kw 5.0 litre will do anything to a set of steel 3" cats.
I suppose if you get emission tested you will be happy to pay the upward 100k fine and 2 year jail time? Hardly worth the $600 you would pay for 2 very good cats.
As for the cut springs....put Airbags in for the love of god. I do not really want to hear about a statesman hitting a tree at 100 km/h because a rear spring shattered due to dodgy workmanship.

Car is looking good though, you just need to unhitch that invisible caravan your towing.

ive been waiting for you mr. minux. lol.
no point sayin 'this and that' cause your right at the end of the day. id love to put air bags in. but the car is over 10 yo, and not worth anythin. no point on wasting money like that. ive built the engine so if i do get sick of the stato i can buy a VL upwards and drop it into that. south geelong exaust fitted the cats, and when my mate took it back they remember the car. when my mate asked he said they were 'faulty cats', but 2 faulty cats that blow at the same time?

Isn't that illegal in a road registered car lol?

yeap. went n saw jonny dyno. its illegal to re-print the same numbers again. gotta go see vicroads and get new numbers.

But i gotta say, the invisible caravan look on the good ol' VS style stato's makes the rear end's look tough. They look awesome sitting low. Give them a mean stance. Mister plod in my area doesn't seem to like them though i tell ya.

hahaha will agree with ya there. but shes raised up in the ass. sits like this now.

Last edited:

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
jeez... thats tough! takes some pics of it at normal angles so we can actually see how it sits :)

you dont wanna see how it looks now. its sittin on standard springs, black VE 16" ceptors, inch of dust n dirt. gotta get a roady an soon as i get it runnin, then get some insurance on it.

RVN 355

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN SS 355
Hot Stato Man A Credit Too You!

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
thanks RVN. your VN is one of only few i like.

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
been awhile since i posted anythin bout her.

me n the boys got the engine in on a friday night but she wouldnt kick over. she'd start for a split second then die. for 3 days we were rattling our brains out trying to figure out what was wrong. dizzy not in the right spot, leads not on in order, AFM, BCM, wiring. then we focused towards the fuel tank. you could hear the fuel pump prime the system but shut off after you try to kick it over. so we got a long bit of wire and connect it straight to the battery. bypassed all connections and draw constant power and she kicked right over.

held the revs at 2500 for 20 mins to run in the cam. the extractors were glowing red, so we quickly set up a couple industrial size fans to keep it from meltin the paint lol.

took her out on her first drive and it was the biggest boat. had no go what so ever. felt like the auto was slippin, converter was ***t. just a night mare. after a few drives it really pick'd up and had more go in it. but still very governed from the running in chip which wouldnt alow the car to rev over 4k rpm. i had to run the engine in for 1500k's then take it back up to electronic automotive (great guys to talk/ work with) to get the final tune complete. durning the 1500 it drove alright, stall'd a few times but gotta expect it.

got the exhaust done too, wasnt happy with what he did but his work is spot on.

starts off at
- Pacemaker Extractors into
- Twin cats
- twin 2 1/2" pipes
- Cross-Over section
- Short, Straight thru mufflers
- twin 2 1/2" pipes
- Into Twin Rear Resonators
- and Dumpies.

all up $1400. but it had a real bad flutter to it, asif un-even flow. so i took it back up and told him i wasnt happy with it and he put a balance pipe just after the X pipe. its a tuff solid note but i was after a deeper note. maybe change the mufflers to offset one day.

took it back to electronic auto last saturday to get the final tune. it was there longer then it should'a been cause the extractors melted the knock sensor, harness, and wiring. so $180 bucks later they moved it and fixed it.

DSC00576.jpg

DSC00641.jpg

DSC000541.jpg

DSC000542.jpg

Last edited:

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
pic of it with VY V8 badges, and WK indicators.

SHYGMH215i2.jpg

Last edited:

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
Godammit!!!!! So tough!!! The sigs and mint white paint just look so good together with the tough shape of the VS stato.

Awesome. Honestly my favourite VS stato!!

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
looks sexy as.. height before was nice, maybe reset the springs to a height u like and dont cut them. thats what i have done

im sick of changing springs. been through too many. im happy where it sits and really cbf changing them unless i get another canary. dont really see any difference between cut and reset springs. most police officers dont know the difference, they see a lowered car they defect it.

Godammit!!!!! So tough!!! The sigs and mint white paint just look so good together with the tough shape of the VS stato.

Awesome. Honestly my favourite VS stato!!

haha thanks cobez. shes come along way from a teachers v6 family car at a uni up in W.A. to a reckless teenager thats turned it into an animal. lol

had some fun with her on the w.e. 1st 2nd 3rd off the brake just skating. couldnt get over how well she moves with the standard manifold. cant wait to see when i put yella terra rockers and a new manifold on her.