Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

'97 Caprice SHYGMH

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
"kicKdown box" is just the non ecu controlled t700s found in the vn and vps. it uses a kickdown cable hooked to the throttle plate

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
Ahhh... Main benefits? sorry it's late at night lol

Verynice

Band
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice 5L
ima take a stab and guess that it doesnt use the computer to automatically change into next gear when then revs are held too high? so when you do burnouts you can hold gears at high RPM without the computer going into "idiot mode"

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
Problem with auto's is, (I'll use mine for an example) You rev it up to the stall limit, then pop the brake and dump the accellerator to get them spinning, but then it will just keep popping off the limiter and won't shift up, so you lose all your momentum and there goes your hope of a fat skid.

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
benefit for havin a kickdown cable auto is because like hak said its not ECU controlled. when you're on the breaks tourchin it you can hold it in 2nd and let go of the break and throw it into a loop without the car going 1st-2nd-3rd on the spot. back a few months ago i was goin to go fully manualised, but i drove a car with one and i didnt rate it. just saw more down sides then pluses. more work when driving, feels like a ford toploader when shiftin down gears.

i picked up the auto last night and also managed to score some yella terra hi ratio roller rockers along with VN rocker covers (VN covers look more bulky so will fill the bay) ill be getting them chromed. fk gettin anythin polished again, way too much to maintain them.

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
Haha, nice. Sounds like the goods.

Stage II isn't too bad, but problem is it's never really in the right gear, but I think it all just needs to be tuned...

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
ok this a shout out to the guys with air bag suspension. pretty much i need to get all these mods done before the end of april as shy'a will be used as a wedding car. cars goin to be used to carry the bride and the bridesmaid but it scrubs with just one person in it, so its gunna struggle with 5 people in it. so now im considerin throwin air bag's in the ass but i dont know anythin about them or where to get them or how hard they are to fit, so hit me up.

mazzstein

Yeahhh Karrnntt.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nitrous 355 Stato
Airride in bayswater.

do you want drop in bags?
ive got slam specials 7" (you gotta cut both bump stops out) with 1/2 lines so it goes up/down fairly quickly.
pretty easy too install man weekend job

what do you need to know exactly bro?

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Airride in bayswater.

do you want drop in bags?
ive got slam specials 7" (you gotta cut both bump stops out) with 1/2 lines so it goes up/down fairly quickly.
pretty easy too install man weekend job

what do you need to know exactly bro?

how much am i lookin for the lot, ive seen some airbag'd statos and they are around the same height as mine. id wanna go lower again when the bags are drop'd. you got pics of your bag set up?

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
how much am i lookin for the lot, ive seen some airbag'd statos and they are around the same height as mine. id wanna go lower again when the bags are drop'd. you got pics of your bag set up?

If you want to go lower than you already are, then definately don't go 'drop in' bags, with the mounts they have on them it makes it like 1/2" to an inch higher than bolt in jobbies.

I'm guessing with out getting 'funky' - with some custom control arms, you won't be getting much lower than the spring out, sitting on the metal hump (bit that the rubber bumpstops to sit over). Even though you cut them out, with the bag inplace it'd be similar height? (Maybe a lil lower?)

Although, you could recess them into the control arm a bit, but I'm not sure on the legalites with chopping them up...? Or even recess them into the floor a bit! :eek: If you know an engineer, pick his brains!

Not sure with where you are, but engineering bags can be pretty crap. Gotta still have 100mm ground clearance, with bumpstops in. Self-leveling in drive? To a programmed height? Not being able to 'use them while driving? Etc... Accuair, Dakota digital... Or If you're just going to run them til you get picked up on them, then go for it :p

Speak to DW Customs for some info, they'll be able to help you with all the legal side of it too. Theres a few other companies doing them, but I'd steer clear of cheap crap.

And, a bit off the topic of bags, is this manifold you're getting similar/the same one you showed me in c/b? If so, ####in sweet as!! Gunna be even moaarrr of a beast ;) :D