Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

97 vs, acceleration issue

Davygravy186

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 Vs commodore
Hey guys, recently purchased a vs commodore and I've been having some issues for the past few weeks, on heavy acceleration from a complete stop the car stutters and takes a while to build up speed, have just changed the fuel pump and filter which has fixed part of the issue while taking off at higher speeds, but now it seems to only do it from a full stop, previous owner who was an older gentleman informed me that he had already changed the sparks and coils, car took off like a rocket when I first purchased, any suggestions would be much appreciated, thanks!

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Usually plugs leads coils or dfi on a VS. If it develops a massive jerky hesitation it would be the TPS.
But if yours has developed suddenly in the last few weeks it might just be a loose lead or he used junk parts that have failed already. Check all the leads for abrasion marks and melted boots at the plug end.

Davygravy186

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 Vs commodore
Yes it is a V6, just changed the filter today with no luck, will look into the others, thanks!

Davygravy186

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 Vs commodore
Hmmm I noticed it started happening after filling up a full tank so I figured I must've got some crappy fuel and it blocked the filter etc, did notice symptoms of fuel pump failure before that although I never had the jerkyness on take off, will have a look at the leads tomorrow thanks!

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Any warning lights glowing on the dash?

Davygravy186

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 Vs commodore
No warning lights so I'm on a bit of a goose chase

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
How about the charcoal canister? Could be fuel vapour effecting idle.

maybe not helping but throwing ideas as you've done most of what I would have done

Davygravy186

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 Vs commodore
Bit of an update, I've taken a closer look at the leads/coils etc and I've noticed a bit of oil over one of the spark plug covers, so I'm thinking maybe the oils flooded the spark plug and not allowing it to spark. Oil leak is coming from the rocker cover so I will be replacing the gasket asap.

Also decided to change all the leads, coils and plugs so we'll see how that turns out, any good brands you guys can recommend? Or am I going a bit over kill and should just change the single spark plug and see how it goes?

As for the charcoal canister I might have to look into it if none of the above fixes the issue, fingers crossed tho
Thanks again guys!

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Nothing you can do about the charcoal cannister. They are obsolete.