Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

98 Octane Fuel

Crabito

Reaction score
Website
s4.invisionfree.com
Members Ride
VE SS 2009 V8
I have a SS 09 VE 6.0 Litre
I have tried 3 brands of Fuel and I only run 98 Octane
and I fill up to the top when its getting close to empty before the low fuel warning

Caltex (Woolworths) 98
Shell (Coles Express) 98
BP Ultimate 98

I have noticed using Caltex 98 (Woolworths) my SS seem to rev but lacks power and seems to eat it more. The car dosent seem happy.
Shell 98 The SS performs alot better more torque when you accelerate fuel economy isn't bad either
I like BP Ultimate the best the car goes really well the power is there and the fuel seems to last

Has anybody noticed?

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Well documented and been covered many times that BP Ultimate is the better of the 98 octane fuels. Does depend on the car though some cars react differently.

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
read the MSDS sheets for each fuel and you'l find BP98 & United 98 is the cleanest and is pretty much 100% gasoline, the others tend to use less gasoline and load it full of crap to get the rating up.

PRAVX II S

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
This is using BP ultimate.

Attachments

• cLUSTER.jpg
    cLUSTER.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 709

Crabito

Reaction score
Website
s4.invisionfree.com
Members Ride
VE SS 2009 V8
Soon as I use up this Caltex fuel. Ill only be using BP Ultimate. Its a 20KM to get there but its worth it

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
read the MSDS sheets for each fuel and you'l find BP98 & United 98 is the cleanest and is pretty much 100% gasoline, the others tend to use less gasoline and load it full of crap to get the rating up.

Where exactly did yo get this info from? It's wrong.. Fact is, most of them use the exact same base 98RON fuel then put their own friction modifying and cleaning additives in on top at the time that it is loaded into the truck for delivery. All brands are as clean as each other contaminate wise, but as stated, different cars perform differently to each other on different fuels. None of them use an octane booster as an ingredient, but all fuel looses octane potency with age, essentially it goes off if not stored properly over long periods of time, there is a thread dedicated to this also, so if interested, search it.

HTH.

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
Quality of the fuel will have more to do with the service station tank it is stored in than who it is produced by. Also depends on their turnover and how long it stays in the tank.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
I`m going to run 2 tanks of BP98 just to see.

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
Where exactly did yo get this info from? It's wrong..

The MSDS sheets as i mentioned earlier. Required by Workplace Health and Safety, it shows the ingredients of the item and it's properties, As i said earlier they (BP, United) are the cleanest being no additives making it 99-100% pure Gasoline, if you think they are wrong then it's not only me you need to convince with lab tests. Here ive linked them all below.

here is united's Premium 98 (Petrol 86290-81-5 99-100%)
Premium 98

here is BP's Ultimate 98 (Petrol 8006-61-9 100%)
BP Ultimate unleaded | Products & services | BP Australia

here is Caltex's Vortex 98 (Gasoline 8006-61-9 90-100% Benzene 71-43-2 0.1% - 1%) doesn't add upto 100% though they quote the balance is "Ingredients determined to be non-hazardous". Sounds like water to me? lol
Caltex Australia: Home

Try and find shell's MSDS sheets for there VPower on there website, you wont, it's still public but you need to spend an hour finding it.
If you goto the shell website Shell in Australia - Australia then Click TGP under tools down the bottom, click contact viva energy australia - opens new window, window comes up for royal dutch click continue, click services, safety datasheets, click Download an SDS for Shell Fuel products, enter the viva website and search for v power.

Gasoline 86290- ​81- ​5 90- ​100 ​%
BENZENE 71- ​43- ​2 <=1 ​%
Complex ​mixture ​of ​hydrocarbons ​consisting ​of ​paraffins,​ ​cycloparaffins,​ ​aromatic ​and ​olefinic ​hydrocarbons ​(including ​benzene ​at ​1.​0%v/v ​maximum),​ ​with ​carbon ​numbers ​predominantly ​in ​the ​C4 ​to ​C12 ​range.​ ​May ​also ​contain ​several ​additives ​at ​<0.​1% ​v/v ​each.​
Contains ​Benzene,​ ​CAS ​# ​71-​43-​2.​ ​Contains ​Toluene,​ ​CAS ​# ​108-​88-​3.​ ​Contains ​Ethylbenzene,​ ​CAS ​# ​100-​41-​4.​ ​Contains ​n-​Hexane,​ ​CAS ​# ​110-​54-​3.​ ​Contains ​Xylene ​(Mixed ​Isomers),​ ​CAS ​# ​1330-​20-​7.​ ​Contains ​Naphthalene,​ ​CAS ​# ​91-​20-​3.​ Contains ​Cyclo-​hexane,​ ​CAS# ​110-​82-​7.​ Contains ​Tri-​methyl-​benzene ​(all ​isomers),​ ​CAS# ​25551-​13-​7.​

Crabito

Reaction score
Website
s4.invisionfree.com
Members Ride
VE SS 2009 V8
Copied from WIKI Page

Component of gasoline

As a gasoline (petrol) additive, benzene increases the octane rating and reduces knocking. As a consequence, gasoline often contained several percent benzene before the 1950s, when tetraethyl lead replaced it as the most widely used antiknock additive. With the global phaseout of leaded gasoline, benzene has made a comeback as a gasoline additive in some nations. In the United States, concern over its negative health effects and the possibility of benzene's entering the groundwater have led to stringent regulation of gasoline's benzene content, with limits typically around 1%.[48] European petrol specifications now contain the same 1% limit on benzene content. The United States Environmental Protection Agency introduced new regulations in 2011 that lowered the benzene content in gasoline to 0.62%.[49]

From WIKI

Very interesting