Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

98 Octane - In a Country Town

DUK13Y

When in doubt, slide it out
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VEII SSV, VYII Berlina, '97 Lancer
ah ok then. You work for BP? :p Well with the fuel prices the way they are at the moment, I'm not sure if its worth running a stock ecotec on premium. Good to know the difference at last though.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I will only use 98 octane in my VS V6, it runs a lot better on the 98 octane fuel.I mainly use shell V power.The BP ultimate around here,up in the bush,must go off fast,Ive tried it a few times,over a few months and it always runs crappy on it,so i just use the shell fuel.I also sometimes use caltex vortex 98.Its not too bad either.I get better running and better fuel economy with the 98 octane fuel as it uses less of it.Ive done a tune now and it takes further advantage of the higher octane fuel as the ignition timing can be wound up more before pinging/detonation occurs.And all unleaded fuels will burn black at the exhaust pipe,not like it was a few years ago when running on super fuels, leaded fuel would run a light grey colour at the exhaust pipe if it was running right.It even mentions in the back of the VN handbook about how unleaded cars will run black at the exhaust,not grey like the older cars did .Years ago when running super fuel ,if the exhaust was black,it meant it was it was poorly tuned,not these days though.

dirt drifter

white trash hillbillie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5L M6 VS 6L M6
brett_jjj. u didn't get the dodgy bp ultimate from the bp right at the southern end of town on the new england hwy did ya? i only ask cos i've filled up there many a time and never had a drama.

however in saying that i've only got a standard compression 5L and afaik its not tuned for hi-octane only

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
brett_jjj. u didn't get the dodgy bp ultimate from the bp right at the southern end of town on the new england hwy did ya? i only ask cos i've filled up there many a time and never had a drama.

however in saying that i've only got a standard compression 5L and afaik its not tuned for hi-octane only

Yeah,Ive tried the ultimate fuel from there a few times, and Ive also tried the ultimate from the other BP servo over town,both servos are owned by the same people, and it always seems to be the same,it doesnt seem to run as good as the shell or caltex 98 fuels for some reason.It seems to run more like the normal 91 octane fuels.