Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

A Basic Backyarders Guide to Spraypainting.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
.025 lol.. once you have enough of it on, it feels like coral. Took about 6 coats of clear just to fill the valleys..

It could have been worse :) at least I didnt do this to it..

Emerald green Skyline bonnet

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
.025 lol.. once you have enough of it on, it feels like coral. Took about 6 coats of clear just to fill the valleys..

It could have been worse :) at least I didnt do this to it..

Emerald green Skyline bonnet

i was thinking of doing a full flake candy job on a vn vp. silver flake base with a apple red candy over it or something.... it would look similar to that bonnet, pretty aggressive and in your face... its alot of work though. including flow coating...

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
i was thinking of doing a full flake candy job on a vn vp. silver flake base with a apple red candy over it or something.... it would look similar to that bonnet, pretty aggressive and in your face... its alot of work though. including flow coating...

Agreed, far more work than I would be willing to put in to do a whole car in it.. and a bit too in your face for my tastes lol

Small areas no worries, just keep laying it on till its solid colour, forget the flow coat and just bury it in clear later. Works a lot better on a black base too of course, less coats needed.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I discovered the iPhone had a very dirty lens lol.. here are some slightly better pics and video. I still havent buffed it, its just off the gun at the moment, it should come up a lot glossier. I am actually a bit worried that its going to look too glossy?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

[video=youtube_share;YsrHzom5DHk]http://youtu.be/YsrHzom5DHk[/video]

gradz

Land Yacht Lover
Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Grange (Daily)
Dak, what do you mean by "too glossy"? They are going to look awesome.

You must remember the old saying: "You can never have too much horsepower, bass or pussy" (in that order). Well, I'd like to add "glossy" to that saying. It's coming along very nicely, can't wait for the final reveal - I'd love to come down to Woodford and have a look, maybe in the Cobra if the weather stays like this.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Dak, what do you mean by "too glossy"? They are going to look awesome.

You must remember the old saying: "You can never have too much horsepower, bass or pussy" (in that order). Well, I'd like to add "glossy" to that saying. It's coming along very nicely, can't wait for the final reveal - I'd love to come down to Woodford and have a look, maybe in the Cobra if the weather stays like this.

Now that will up my rep in the neighbourhood lol.. a Cobra in my driveway :) Hmm or parked out the front maybe, my driveway is a little washed out...

I think you can have too glossy, it depends on the other colour. Remember its a two tone, and the red is unlikely to be quite that shiny, black is just a shinier colour. I'm worried that the black will overpower the red I guess. I'll know within a couple days ;)

Last edited:

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Started work on the front bar today. The bottom is pretty carved up, so first job, in with the grinder and get rid of the high bits ready for some bog.

This is why I like to do things piece by piece. This stuff just doesnt get noticed when you do the whole car at once, and even then, because its low to the ground its awkward to work on and never gets done properly.

Thats a diamond cutting blade on the grinder, I am just wiping over the plastic with it. Care is advised lol, this blade will cut through the bar like butter.

I dont recommend you use a normal grinding wheel on plastic, it will clog it up. If you dont have a diamond wheel, then a rasp or something will do.. all I am doing here is removing the mountains before I fill the valleys.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

similar gouges on the other side of the bar, half done so you can see the process.

attachment.php