Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

A Basic Backyarders Guide to Spraypainting.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
so do you rub the base back then rebase then clear? or you going to just clear over the rubbed base? just wondering...

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
The clear goes straight on now. No more work to do on the base except for another prepsol run just prior to spraying.

I'll do probably 3 wet coats of clear, rub it back as per the original post in this thread (the bonnet), leaving out the glaze step, then move on to the next section of the car. The very fine scratches that remain from the 2000G, which are there but not visible in these photos, will fill nicely and disappear into the clear. Like any clear over base, the real shine doesnt happen until the clear goes over the top. You'll be able to see the metallic in the paint at last.

I'm leaving my options open here by leaving out the glaze step for now. I will get the whole car painted up to those few coats of clear, (including refitted black trims) then decide. If I decide to stop, I'll buff the whole car at once with glaze and polish, and consider the job done. If I go further, I will need to remove the glaze from the bonnet before I continue.

I am considering then adding a coat of holo silver, which is basically a superfine multi coloured sparkle mixed into clear paint. If I do that, then the whole car will need to be done in one go, for consistency, and then I will also need a couple more coats of clear over the top, to have the holo flake suspended or floating within the clear.

The car will still be the same colour, and match inside the doors etc, it will just have a little more bling. Not sure if I am going in that direction or not yet. It may depend on a prospective buyer if we can make a decision quickly. I might have to do a trial on the old bonnet just to see how it looks, and maybe experiment with quantities of the holo.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
My girls are 16 and 12, if I get my way they will be home a long time yet lol ... moving out will be a one way trip when it happens though !

Last edited:

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
More crappy iphone pix. The problem is that the car gets the morning sun, so I work in the afternoon (especially if spraying of course), get impatient to take a photo, and its too dark by then for this crap camera.

In the morning I will get the car into the sun, with the bonnet on, for a few half decent pix before I remove the front and rear bar and get stuck into the door trims, handles and trolley strips.

attachment.php

attachment.php

At the moment its at the same level of finish as the bonnet. It's had a few coats of clear, then been rubbed back with 800G, a 2000G RO pad, then glaze applied with a 4000G RO pad. I've decided against the extra metallic, so I wont be applying more paint. All the painted bits, including the bonnet, need now is a good buff with some nice wax.

attachment.php

attachment.php

It really is a lot better than it looks in these crap photos. I am pleased with how its come up, it has a nice depth to it and no peel at all. Looking forward to finishing the rest of the car and buffing it all up properly.

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
Coming along very well Daks (See what I did there, Jadzia Dax, oh I am so funny).

The finish is very nice and even, can't wait to see you finish it up :)

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Coming along very well Daks (See what I did there, Jadzia Dax, oh I am so funny).

The finish is very nice and even, can't wait to see you finish it up :)

Jadzia has to be the best looking interstellar slug ever, but I think Curzon Dax would be more appropriate lol.. he was male..