Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

A Basic Backyarders Guide to Spraypainting.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Went out to move the Acclaim today, but the damn thing wouldnt start lol

It died when I was parking it there, and I assumed it had run out of petrol, I knew it was low.. so I added 10L petrol today and it still doesnt go. Poured some fuel into the throttle body and it fired instantly, so theres a clue :)

Now I have to research, I have no idea where the fuel filters are. I think the fuel pump is in the tank? Cant it hear pumping at all, so I guess I will check the electrics first then the fuel filters, just as an easier option, before I eventually get forced to drop the tank and get the bloody pump out grrrrr

mattytess

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp berlina
You don't have to drop the tank. You remove the back seat and there is a plate you unscrews and then you will see the tank.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
You don't have to drop the tank. You remove the back seat and there is a plate you unscrews and then you will see the tank.

Cool thanks, I will check it out. I have checked the fuses, have power etc.. disconnected the fuel lines in the engine bay and switched power on, no flow whatsoever. So I am down to a blocked fuel filter or buggered fuel pump unless I've missed something obvious?

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
Jadzia has to be the best looking interstellar slug ever, but I think Curzon Dax would be more appropriate lol.. he was male..

From now on I'm calling you Curzon :p

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Thanks mate, but you sure you are talking about a VR? I now have the seats and lining completely removed and there is no access. The only opening is the small hole and rubber grommet that the tank wires go into but there is no way its big enough to be useful so I am not moving it.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Still havent got it out into the sun, but it looks good. I might have to resort to getting out of bed before lunchtime (while the sun is shining on it) or pushing it out into the sun for a photo unless I get the fuel problem fixed lol

attachment.php

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Can you hear the pump priming when you turn the ignition on ?

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Can you hear the pump priming when you turn the ignition on ?

Nope. Havent had a chance to get to cars the last couple days but I guess I am going to be dropping a fuel tank soon :(

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I've established that the fuel pump is dead. I confirmed this by disconnecting the power plug to the fuel pump, and connecting positive and negative wires directly from the battery to the plug at the fuel pump where it exits the fuel tank.. this should bypass everything and make the fuel pump just keep running.. but I can hear a click as it trys to engage, and then nothing.

So, its time to remove the fuel pump. I just jacked up one side of the car, and put it on some blocks. This left plenty of room for my large body to slide under the car and get easy access to the front of the fuel tank, where the pump and float assembly are easily accessed just behind the diff centre. Fortunately it isnt necessary at all to drop the tank.

First you need to unplug the wiring. The flat plug is for the fuel gauge, the round one is for the pump. Disconnect both.

attachment.php

There are two fuel lines, one is the fuel supply, the other is a return line. To avoid mixing them up when putting it back on, I've put a little zip tie on the lower line. I just have to make sure I put it back onto the lower pipe when reassembling.

attachment.php

With both plugs and both fuel lines removed, I then removed the 5x 7mm nuts which hold the assembly in place.

attachment.php

This lets you withdraw the assembly a little..

attachment.php

attachment.php

After more wriggling and rotating, you can get it out about this far. Note in the photo below, the hose circled in red. You want to disconnect this hose, but you do NOT want it to fall back into the tank. If it does, you will be removing the fuel tank... The clip comes off pretty easily with a small flat screwdriver into the SIDE of the clip.

attachment.php

To avoid the hose falling back into the tank, I've just jammed a large screwdriver up it..

attachment.php

It takes a bit of wriggling and twisting, because as you can see, you have to get the float out, and then the pump. Do it gently, and eventually you will get the whole assembly out.

attachment.php

Once the assembly is out of the tank, you can remove the fuel pump and its little screen from the rest of the assembly.

attachment.php

Just to double check, I again tested the pump with direct power. I can feel something move inside when it gets power, but thats it.. just one click.

More to come tomorrow, I have to go and buy a fuel pump now :)