Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

A Bush Mechanic and the air con belt throw...

P

Pauldw500

Yes you have seen it all now... :D

So while I wait for my new belt off another vehicle, which is an apparent fix as a tighter belt and recommended on another thread on here. My belt is now getting chucked EVERY time I give it a bit. 7 and 15mm plus about 3 minutes and its back on, but after chasing my new belt this morning, only to find it hasn't left the warehouse even tho purchased on the 5th...:mad:.... I have put my head into gear and had a think from outside the box...

Roller is perfect size for the belt and them 2 bolt holes work, but my only worry is the bearing. It's designed for a pitbike chain, not a high speed V8 engine...lol

I've started it and the roller is spinning fine, but will it last I wonder...

Screenshot_20210914-140731_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210914-140045_eBay.jpg

P

Pauldw500

I've started it and the roller is spinning fine, but will it last I wonder...

Altho with 3rd start it (the bearing) started making a noise I didn't like, so took it apart and the washer between the metal bracket and bearing wasn't thick enough so was kinda rattling, but put it right and back together.

Hmmmm... rattle is gone but still making noise... not convinced personally lol

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Ingenious.
But if you were a 'real' bush mechanic, you would ditch the aircon, and have a small wood fire in the passenger footwell in winter, and pull out the windscreen and rear window in summer. ;)

P

Pauldw500

Ingenious.
But if you were a 'real' bush mechanic, you would ditch the aircon, and have a small wood fire in the passenger footwell in winter, and pull out the windscreen and rear window in summer. ;)
Haha... I would.

OK just been out for a 10 min drive. A few quiet roads I know locally which have no houses or traffic so gave it 'a bit' and without doubt prior to the bracket the belt would've been thrown and I'd have stale air coming in, but no I just popped the hood and all still in place...

For now...

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
A lot cheaper than the double roller bracket! Looked at getting the bracket for mine but its $330. I haven’t thrown my belt yet in the 18 odd months I’ve had the SSV (touch wood) but I don’t really take mine above 4000rpm so I’m guessing it’s less of an issue if you aren’t getting up it for the rent.

P

Pauldw500

A lot cheaper than the double roller bracket! Looked at getting the bracket for mine but its $330. I haven’t thrown my belt yet in the 18 odd months I’ve had the SSV (touch wood) but I don’t really take mine above 4000rpm so I’m guessing it’s less of an issue if you aren’t getting up it for the rent.
And is holding strong. Did 200ks earlier, towing too and air con didn't die so the belt stayed on. Gonna look into a better quality bearing and replace it. I too didn't wanna pay the $350 odd for the upgraded bracket so I went for the tighter belt option. It was delivered today, a belt off another car (thread on here about it) but gonna see if I can return it now as with a decent reliable bearing I think this could hold..

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
better bearing and bigger pulley will be best so its not turning as fast keeps the heat out of it, its prob spinning round the 30,000rpm if u redline it, if u can find some use an alternator bearing as they are designed for high rpm, good way round it tho

P

Pauldw500

better bearing and bigger pulley will be best so its not turning as fast keeps the heat out of it, its prob spinning round the 30,000rpm if u redline it, if u can find some use an alternator bearing as they are designed for high rpm, good way round it tho
Yeah this bearing won't last. It's meant for more of a rugged contact what with a motorbike chain, but it's prob spinning at a fraction of what it is now.

Oh and I never redline it...