Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

A/C issue under acceleration

kyefs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais
Hi guys, new to this forum and this has probably been addressed in a previous post but I don't have all night to search and I couldn't find anything after a bit of a look so hoping someone can help...

I have a VZ Calais, A/C works fine when I turn the car on and whilst at speed with low revs but whilst under heavier acceleration and taking off at lights when it gets to about 40kms (still accelerating to anywhere between 60kms and 100kms) the airflow stops coming out of the vents and appears to blow up against the windscreen as if I had the front dimister on. Doesn't appear to actually send any cold air there though and when it's boiling hot and I need the A/C, I pretty much have to take my foot off the throttle and wait a second til it starts blowing out the face level vents again, then go again.

If anyone knows how I can fix this myself, I'm capable of taking apart a car and putting it back together so no issues there, just have NO idea what I am looking for or what part I need...never come across this issue before???

Thanks in advance

derrro

haha tough
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ MY06 SS
Hey here's what I think.

A little while ago I was mucking round in my engine bay I accidently disconnected the vacuum hose to the HVAC climate cntrl unit. What this did was not provide the unit with any air suction, and by default the climate control reverts to demist (perhaps it's a design thing to make sure u can demist if the unit loses pressure or just a fluke?).

So what it sounds like is that when you accelerate the vacuum pressure drops off to your climate control HVAC box. So:

1) Check for lose hoses under the bonnet
2) Failing this check the vacuum hoses are properly clipped up to prevent movement
3) If all ok, disconnect the hose going to the HVAC. Lick ur finger and put it over the end of the hose (on the engine side) to test for a vacuum. Get someone to rev up the engine and check for consistency of pressure.

There is a vacuum cylinder somewhere in the car (inside the cabin maybe). This is to make up for the natural loss of vacuum when the engine revs harder. You might want to look up where this is and check that too.

dfer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina Wagon
kyefs

A/C issue under acceleration
Hi guys, new to this forum and this has probably been addressed in a previous post but I don't have all night to search and I couldn't find anything after a bit of a look so hoping someone can help...

I have a VZ Calais, A/C works fine when I turn the car on and whilst at speed with low revs but whilst under heavier acceleration and taking off at lights when it gets to about 40kms (still accelerating to anywhere between 60kms and 100kms) the airflow stops coming out of the vents and appears to blow up against the windscreen as if I had the front dimister on. Doesn't appear to actually send any cold air there though and when it's boiling hot and I need the A/C, I pretty much have to take my foot off the throttle and wait a second til it starts blowing out the face level vents again, then go again.

If anyone knows how I can fix this myself, I'm capable of taking apart a car and putting it back together so no issues there, just have NO idea what I am looking for or what part I need...never come across this issue before???

Thanks in advance

I'm having the exact same problem mate. I have no idea what's causing it, but as suggested above I will check it out but somehow I don't think thats the problem.

magnetvh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 381pack
Easy fix mate. Could b like the 1st guy said but I rekom It's the heater tap. Under the bonnet near the fire wall is whr you'll find it. There r 2 or 3 vac hoses on it and a medium coolant hose going in and comin out. If 1 of those vac hoses comes of or is damaged it sends the a/c up the windscreen under acceleration. If the tap is farkd, U can pick em up at your local auto shop like supercheap or somethin. Costs around $40.

Trent L

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ Calais 190Kw

Tom

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL Statesman
Re Kyefs A/c problem

Hi Kyefs,
have just joined the forum,and have the same problem as you, I heard from someone today that the flaps inside are controlled by vacuum,
and it may be a leak in the system, there is a valve on one of the small hoses (approx 5mm dia), around the external of the air intake box, which is supposed to be at the back of the engine bay,( maybe or behind the dash), it might be fitted wrongly or there is an air leak somewhere on one of those tubes, anyway give it a try. I am working away, and unable to get to my car for about ten days so can you let me know if it works, or if its something else?
Thanks Tom

Tom

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL Statesman
Hi trent, or anybody that can help, I have the same prob as the other guys, and as you have been there before are you able to give me some info on;-

1 what part of the vac system can be reached from the engine bay?

2 What parts of the dash do I have to remove to get to the actuators?

3 I would be grateful for a bit of a detailed description, on the order in which I remove the dash bits, and any tricky bits to get to,

as I tend to get annoyed when I cant find the screws etc, for the next section to be removed, and I have been known to resort to

some over the top weaponry, such as:- small hacksaws, big hacksaws, small hammers, big hammers, sledgies, angle grinders, oxy sets :),

any help would be appriciated, Tom.

bcw61

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2005 Executive Wagon
I have been there before (exactly the same issue) and it was a vacuum requiring removal of the dash & replacement of actuators - and yes it is a drama

Fortunately you can change the vacuum actuators without having to remove the HVAC unit, or most of the dash. I had to replace both the face & foot actuators on my VZ. The foot actuator can be replaced by working from within the drivers footwell area. The face actuator is a little more difficult to replace, as you need to remove the centre console & central part of the dash (including the area underneath the headunit), to gain access. The vacuum hoses to the face actuator can be accessed via the passenger footwell area. It is a bit of a contortionist act to replace them, but I'm not exactly skinny anymore, and managed to replace them OK. Its far better than the recommended method of removing the HVAC unit in toto.

Access to the fresh air/recirculation actuator is by reaching up from within the passenger footwell area.

Trent L

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ Calais 190Kw
bcw61 has pretty well hit the nail on the head.

The only part you can reach from the engine bay is the one way valve near the firewall. If that is functioning then its under the dash you go.

Hope these attachments are of some use.

Attachments

• ventilation system.jpg
    ventilation system.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 7,883
  • air con.jpg
    air con.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 11,629
  • Vacuum Solenoid.jpg
    Vacuum Solenoid.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 6,111

Tom

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL Statesman
Wl a/c vac info

Hey Trent thanks for the effort you went too to put the info from the manual online.

hope we can help you sometime, Tom