Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

A glimmer of hope for Holden owners?..rewinding Holden

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
And this is relevant in the VF tech section?

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
at what point do we differentiate "made here" to "assembled here" because there are many parts in them that were not "made" here.

it is like apples claim to the iphone "assembled in the usa" but the majority of the parts are manufactured in china so where exactly is it "made"?

If you cook lunch and some ingredients are imported...where was lunch made cuz ?

BTW apple never claimed that. They say Designed in California. Assembled in China

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
If you cook lunch and some ingredients are imported...where was lunch made cuz ?

BTW apple never claimed that. They say Designed in California. Assembled in China

true i got that backwards, i remember tim cook saying the key parts were made in the usa but they were assembled in china.

if i import all the ingredients of your sandwich from china and assemble the sandwich in australia was your sandwich made or assembled in australia?

thats my point, where do we draw the line to made in and assembled in?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I believe the packaging of said sandwich would say it was made in xxx from local and imported ingredients.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
at what point do we differentiate "made here" to "assembled here" because there are many parts in them that were not "made" here.

it is like apples claim to the iphone "assembled in the usa" but the majority of the parts are manufactured in china so where exactly is it "made"?
Yes but some parts are Australian made and at least it's assembled in Australia, the ZB on the other hand....... Also in the early 90s Holden made a lot of their own plastics. Not sure how much of any of the ZB was made in Australia if any at all?

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
true i got that backwards, i remember tim cook saying the key parts were made in the usa but they were assembled in china.

if i import all the ingredients of your sandwich from china and assemble the sandwich in australia was your sandwich made or assembled in australia?

thats my point, where do we draw the line to made in and assembled in?

You would have to agree that for the sake of every day meaning everyone would say 'I made my sandwich at home.'

If you want to be interesting you could say 'I assembled my sandwich at home' ;)

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
oh no, there is a flat earth/moon landing denier amongst us.

it is time for the tin foil hat cat picture lol...

Shane doesn't deny the moon landings happened, it's just that NASA didn't do it. Sasquatches have been there for thousands of years, it's where they bury their dead

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Not sure how much of any of the ZB was made in Australia if any at all?

i dont think anything from the zb is made in australia, the first commodore was an opel and the last one made was an opel.

Yes but some parts are Australian made and at least it's assembled in Australia

going by that logic i could import an insignia and make a commodore badge in australia and stick it on in australia and it is made/assembled in australia therefore a true holden?

how much of a vehicle needs to be made elsewhere for it to pass your not made here standard?

if the engine and gearbox is made in the usa is it not a holden because the heart of the vehicle is made in the usa?
omg is that why people put chev badges on :oops:

your theory is basically because it is not "made here" it is not a holden but the majority of their vehicle lineup for the last 15 to 20 years has been manufactured and assembled outside of australia.
go back 40 years and ask any die hard holden fan if a commodore is a holden and they will tell you no because it is an opel import lol

I believe the packaging of said sandwich would say it was made in xxx from local and imported ingredients.

exactly, our food has that label now because many companies were exploiting the old "made in australia" branding and deceiving customers into thinking it is an australian product while everything in the product was imported, the government took steps to clear up the fact a product might be "assembled" here using ingredients from other countries by implementing the percentage bar.

i wonder what the percentage label would show for the last 10 years of holdens and fords.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Stooge, Holden used Chev engines in the 70s does that mean they are not true Holden? Australian engines were put in Holdens right through the 90s, so not too much Opel in them really. Dores may not have been welcomed in the early days but 10 years on and they were considered a real Holden. None of the rebadged Holdens can claim they are true Holden. BTW plenty of die hard Holden fans on here yet, some born in the 60s yet I haven't seen posts saying Dores are not true Holden except the ZB. So I question your claim unless you're can quote a few 100 posts of those who say the former. How many Holden factory workers would say they are working on an Opel and not a Holden?