Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ABS fault

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Thanks for your input, Fu Manchu, reminds me of how harness’ had extra wires at places for options on the older vehicles EG HZ premiers & statesmans etc. With my thunder, It had no glove box lamp etc (while earlier SS models did). I scored a light and switch out of a VY wreck and ended up wiring it up myself. In hindsight after your words all the required wiring is probably sitting there somewhere. As I wired it up it is live 24/7. Therefore if glove box was left open by morning I would expect battery would be flat! Hummmmm being some 4 years-5 years ago, I wonder how I wired it up. I must add that it would have been done well and tidy, just like the rest of my electrical endeavours. Just another small point. My SS Auto thunder had the sports pedals (silver black dotted) yet the left foot rest was the standard black plastic job. I scored that out of the same VY wreck. So now I have three matching sports pedals. I always figure that they must have been skimping on parts??? Why would and SS thunder not have a glove box light when others do. And the sports pedal??? That seems cheap and nasty.
Don’t talk to me about the footrest. You know what one of those is worth? $200! Watch them for years!

It seems VY had the footrest. VZ didn’t. Mine didn’t have one, yours, and project Monaro didn’t have one. VE don’t either. Now we have the matching set.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I found via the manufacturer of the pedals that the same SS sports pedal was used in a MacLaren of the same year.

slipknot09

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais
Also, that black hazard switch. The entire world hates the red triangle.
Ha ha yeah. I’m really not a fan of the VY or VZ Calais dash. I made my own custom WK dash. With the lcd screen at the top and the better HVAC controls. Wiring was the worst part but I sourced the connectors from mouser.com and made a plug and play harness If I wanted to revert back. Which I do with everything in the car.
I also purchased every switch in the car new and dismantled them and 2K cleared cause I hate how the white paint wears on them. Dash is painted Phantom Mica and 2K clear also. Seems the mode switch wasn’t yet done when these pics were taken though

Attachments

• 3488ABC8-590F-462E-9ECD-FD5889999797.jpeg
    3488ABC8-590F-462E-9ECD-FD5889999797.jpeg
    179.7 KB · Views: 94
  • 410B6305-FF01-4D03-A634-547AA633797F.jpeg
    410B6305-FF01-4D03-A634-547AA633797F.jpeg
    194 KB · Views: 94

slipknot09

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais
Don’t talk to me about the footrest. You know what one of those is worth? $200! Watch them for years!

It seems VY had the footrest. VZ didn’t. Mine didn’t have one, yours, and project Monaro didn’t have one. VE don’t either. Now we have the matching set.
That makes me laugh. I put a watch on eBay a couple years ago too. But I’ve managed to get NOS ones for both my Calais and my SS over time

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
That makes me laugh. I put a watch on eBay a couple years ago too. But I’ve managed to get NOS ones for both my Calais and my SS over time
Where from?

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ha ha yeah. I’m really not a fan of the VY or VZ Calais dash. I made my own custom WK dash. With the lcd screen at the top and the better HVAC controls. Wiring was the worst part but I sourced the connectors from mouser.com and made a plug and play harness If I wanted to revert back. Which I do with everything in the car.
I also purchased every switch in the car new and dismantled them and 2K cleared cause I hate how the white paint wears on them. Dash is painted Phantom Mica and 2K clear also. Seems the mode switch wasn’t yet done when these pics were taken though
Damn it. Now I want to do that.
You should start a new thread on this so I can interrogate you for information on the wiring.

• Haha
Reactions: Lex

slipknot09

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais
Damn it. Now I want to do that.
You should start a new thread on this so I can interrogate you for information on the wiring.
Yeah I could do that for you, I believe I even took photos as I went. I’m sure you are confident with a dremel and a plastic welder too. I probably even have the mouser part numbers saved somewhere

slipknot09

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais
Where from?
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VY-VZ-H...349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=705-154756-20017-0
Just checked eBay and here’s a NOS set for a manual. Dont look at the inflated price tho. Geez the price of commy stuff went thru the roof. A good example would be a few years ago Holden keys were 75 bucks or something, HSV 80. So I bought 3 HSV keys. I used one and will prob sell the other 2 in a few years with an insane profit. They’re already fetching 1k each now. I also bought HSV steering wheel badges a few years back 8 bucks each genuine, horn pads with HSV badges are fetching 1k each now too wtf. There would be some money to be made if we predicted what has happened. I’ve got a couple of sets of new HSV seat covers in black leather. Will probably be worth more than my super when I retire. I’ve managed to fill a whole room at work with NOS stuff just as prices started rising. Calais Headlights, taillights, garnishes, moulds, windows, cup holders, black interior parts, bumpers, side skirts, badges, door trims and handles, exterior handles, catches, lots of caprice interior bits too, prob spent 10k all up.
Not to sell but I plan to put my Calais away for my 3yr old son and want there to be enough spares for him to enjoy an Australian car and to be able to fix it himself