Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ABS / Stability control fault

goon1337

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 3.6 SIDI
Yet another ABS / Stability control fault thread.

I know there's a few of these already, just wanting to know if anyone has had the fault appear in the soecific conditions that mine appears to be happening under and if they've found the cause before I throw more parts at it.

I've got a VE sv6 manual ute that keeps throwing an abs fault. I've replaced the rear sensors, which seemed to help a bit, but it's still occuring.

It seems that it usually occurs when changing gears slightly heavily. Like when downshifting to engine brake or on slightly spirited up shifts. It does occur occasionally under heavy braking or when traction breaks, but mainly on gear shifts.

This leads me to believe it might be the module itself in my case.

Has anyone had the same ser of symptoms?

Cheers.

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES
Did you replace the loom also or just the sensors? Seems a lot of people I spoke with regarding this said to replace the loom as it seems to be the more likely culprit and if that doesn’t work then change the sensors.

goon1337

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 3.6 SIDI
Did you replace the loom also or just the sensors? Seems a lot of people I spoke with regarding this said to replace the loom as it seems to be the more likely culprit and if that doesn’t work then change the sensors.
Just the sensors, the loom is my next point of attack. It just seems strange though that it's not really going out over rough road like you'd expect with damaged cables, but more so on sudden torque changes during gear shifts.

But then again maybe the loom is damaged and it only throws an error when the abs/traction control is worked.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Have you cleaned the throttle body?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.

I know there's a few of these already, just wanting to know if anyone has had the fault appear in the soecific conditions that mine appears to be happening under and if they've found the cause before I throw more parts at it.

I've got a VE sv6 manual ute that keeps throwing an abs fault. I've replaced the rear sensors, which seemed to help a bit, but it's still occuring.

It seems that it usually occurs when changing gears slightly heavily. Like when downshifting to engine brake or on slightly spirited up shifts. It does occur occasionally under heavy braking or when traction breaks, but mainly on gear shifts.

Cheers.
This will also be caused when

• the battery is either holding poor charge (as in can only be charged to 60 or 70% of its capacity).

• the alternator is not charging the battery as well as it should.

Or

• The battery is not able to supply amps when under load. Eg. Starting or Accelerating.

Why? Because the ECM starts rationing voltage to various systems that are power hungry. By dropping them, the available voltage is directed to other more critical systems. This can happen for a moment or it can happen long term depending on voltage. When this happens a fault code is generated because the CANbus network is having an issue communicating with the module.
It’s a bit like your car sticking a stick in its own spokes on a bike.

So, while there are other causes, this is a straight forward one to rock off the list. Battery world will often do a free battery health check and lid test the battery.

For $50 a simple Topdon battery and charge circuit tester will either confirm or deny the condition. Handy bit of kit for any VE owner.

goon1337

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 3.6 SIDI
This will also be caused when

• the battery is either holding poor charge (as in can only be charged to 60 or 70% of its capacity).

• the alternator is not charging the battery as well as it should.

Or

• The battery is not able to supply amps when under load. Eg. Starting or Accelerating.

Why? Because the ECM starts rationing voltage to various systems that are power hungry. By dropping them, the available voltage is directed to other more critical systems. This can happen for a moment or it can happen long term depending on voltage. When this happens a fault code is generated because the CANbus network is having an issue communicating with the module.
It’s a bit like your car sticking a stick in its own spokes on a bike.

So, while there are other causes, this is a straight forward one to rock off the list. Battery world will often do a free battery health check and lid test the battery.

For $50 a simple Topdon battery and charge circuit tester will either confirm or deny the condition. Handy bit of kit for any VE owner.
New 2nd hand alternator and new battery a month ago.

TheIceman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Ex-cop
what codes are you getting??

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV

Cheers.
Curious but did you find out the issue.

Mines been doing it lately.