Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

adding aftermarket head unit

nielsonp

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs executive commodore
sooo im very very interested in a particular ve commodore 2007 berlina.

my only dislikes about the berlina are the wood grain trim and the integrated stereo head unit.

the latter problem is the biggest headache...

it appears that there is a sort of tray right in the bottom of the dash near the gear stick.... not the best spot but would i be able to fit a head unit in there?

i would rather not mount a head unit in the glove box as you cannot see the song / folder titles.

finally, would i be able to get the steering wheel controls working with an aftermarket head unit? i once saw this done in about a 2000 model xr8 there was an infrared repeater mounted under the carpet of the roof just near the rear vision mirror.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
No after market head unit can be used. These are used as part of the overall function of the car as well.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
there's a few threads on this forum (and other forums) discussing this very issue (search button is your friend). but at present, getting full steering wheel integration with an aftermarket head (and ipod) unit isnt possible.
you can certainly install a seperate head unit to the lower dash pocket and run wiring directly to the speakers (effectively bypassing the stock head unit altogether), but you cant just disconnect the stock unit from the car wiring because its all interconnected with the security system.
there are A LOT of people waiting for this mod to be developed for all VE variants (Im one of them!), and it appears some headway has been made... but nothing reliable as yet. believe me when something concrete hits the market it'll be plastered all over this VE section. many people waiting patiently :).

nielsonp

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs executive commodore
thanks for the replies guys.

i have looked thru various threads on the forum but didnt see anyone mentioning an installation of a head unit in the bottom tray until after i posted this thread.

anway,
what if i were to put one of these 3 options from alpine in? Alpine Electronics of Australia it appears to go in via the auxillary port and claims it can control ipods (which hopefully includes iphones because i plan to get the iphone4).

i mean i wouldnt have steering wheel controls apart from adjusting the volume, but hey you cant have everything i guess.

then i would be wiring up some better quality speakers to it with an amp and i'd be done... until something better is developed for the ve.

SV666

The Commodore Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS EXEC SII
I too am waiting for a break through for an aftermarket head unit for the ve series, at this stage from what I have read you can get a line out converter to an amp and run your seapkers, subs etc etc.. I thought about doing this myself as long as I have an AUX input my ipod lives in the car only to leave to add new songs or to be charged :)

wizeabe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
There has been a breakthrough in the US, a module that separates the HVAC from the headunit. Meaning that it gives you the freedom to put in an aftermarket headunit. Someone has already put in a link here, so do a search for "Feeler Thread" (incl. quotes). Have a read and follow the links.

It was mentioned that something like this was also being worked here in AU but first come, first served.

mi04se1

need for speed
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8GT
Its on g8board.com