Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Adelaide based car with a dead transmission near Melbourne - Options?

carcollector

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice, VZ SS Crewman, ZB Calais V,VE CalaisV
In need of some advice. My Daughter drives a V6 2006 WM Caprice. She is currently on a holiday trip to Melbourne, and the auto trans has just died about 50 km west of Melbourne while on her way home to Adelaide. No drive in any gear. The RACV has diagnosed a dead auto trans, and asked where she wants it towed. Obviously them towing it to Adelaide is not an option - we will probably just get it towed back to Melbourne first up. Ideally, I'd like the car transported back to Adelaide where I can arrange to get it fixed here, but I know most car transporters won't transport cars that can't be driven. I'd also prefer not to drive over with a trailer and drive back with it on the trailer if I can help it.

Does anyone know of any car transport companies in Melbourne that deal with transporting non-running cars? Alternatively, any recommendations for a reliable place to fit an auto trans in the western suburbs of Melbourne? I could then fly over and drive it back.

Also, any suggestions on what has broken in the trans to suddenly lose all gears at once?

Thanks all,

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Is she with the RAA. I have heard that in instances like this of major failure they will arrange to get the car home, even if interstate.

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
Not sure about towing, but it sounds like the transmission has a blocked filter possibly, especially if it has not being serviced.
How many kms on the car?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Transmission shops around Werribee or Hoppers. Should be a few.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
As for moving non running cars, try CEVA and get a container.

They have a yard in/close to Dandenong if I recall.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
As for moving non running cars, try CEVA and get a container.

They have a yard in/close to Dandenong if I recall.
you run into a problem with CEVA (and PRIXCAR) as you as you go to sign to sign their statement-
that the car can be moved under its own power. o_O

Oooops

Crunchy Granola

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz commodore,77 Charger,Cagiva Raptor 1000
If I was you mate I'd be trying to contact the closest reputable car repairer to the car and asking for a quote to fit a second hand trans. I know it's risky sight unseen, but if you plead your case the guy may want to help you out. Either way your in a tricky situation.GOOD LUCK.

vywgn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1967 Holden HR Premier Wagon / 2015 VFII SV6 Sedan
Try KLT Car Carrying, the move dead/crashed cars all the time to between Adel/Melb

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@carcollector, a quick google search of “non running car transport Melbourne to Adelaide” yields some results, two of which are:

I’ve got no idea about these companies and what the costs are or how the costs compare to having the car correctly diagnosed and repaired locally but gne6 are just a phone call away.

As to what the vehicles fault is, in the very few instances I’ve heard about from relatives, roadside assistance is not the greatest at accurately diagnosing what’s wrong with non running cars. They are great at breaking into them though :p

It can be stressful not being able to quickly help a daughter stuck far away, less stressful these days with mobile phones but still…

So what to do? I thought many insurance policies covered remote breakdown when far from home which could include hotel accomodation while you had the car repaired and/or vehicle hire and vehicle repatriation back home… I‘d carefully read your roadside assistance policy and also read your car insurance policy as you may have more options than you realise (or more options than the roadside assistance guy mentioned). Your car insurance may also provide some help (some do some don’t) as it all depends on whether they consider it a claimable condition (like fuel contamination).

It‘s probably all been sorted now so curious as to what the solution ended up being and what the underlying cause of the gearbox failure was and how it was repaired.

Please let us know :cool:

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
you run into a problem with CEVA (and PRIXCAR) as you as you go to sign to sign their statement-
that the car can be moved under its own power. o_O

Oooops
Oh. Hmm. Soz.