Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Adelaide based car with a dead transmission near Melbourne - Options?

carcollector

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice, VZ SS Crewman, ZB Calais V,VE CalaisV
What is the difference between a reconditioned vs rebuilt transmission? Do they mean the same thing?
I’d also suggest servicing the transmission more often now that it is rebuilt
Same thing. Sorry if I was being a bit sloppy in my terminology.

And yes, I agree with you. Modern auto transmissions are often thought of as "sealed for life". I think a checkup and fluid change at intervals is not bad insurance.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Modern auto transmissions are often thought of as "sealed for life the warranty period”.
Fixed it for you! Sealed for life is a euphemism for “as long as it lasts the warranty period we don’t care what happens after that”. All transmissions should be serviced despite what the manufacturer may claim.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah normal driving about every 65k with full syn seems to be what's recommended by trans builders I've dealt with.

carcollector

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice, VZ SS Crewman, ZB Calais V,VE CalaisV
Hi all. The Caprice is fixed and driven back to Adelaide. The 5L40 trans was completely rebuilt - given their unreliability, I did not want to trust a second hand unit. Not a cheap fix, but at least now it's one less component to worry about on the Daughter's car for a fair while.

Thanks all for your interest, advice and input.

Thanks and a recommendation too to both Fast Track Towing and Hasty Auto Trans in Ravenhall. Both gave us great service, and helped us out considerably.