Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Advice on tracking down family of deceased former girlfriend - NSW.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
You are looking at it from your perspective and the way you may feel regarding sensitivity. Just contact her. Is there any other way other than "Hi, you may not remember me, I'm Neville Nobody, your sister and I had a thing back in *insert year*, I heard she passed away, sorry for your loss". Or something. Just say it and see what happens. After 30 years, I think the pain of losing her would have diminished somewhat.

NAAF

You must be a bloody mind reader. That's precisely what I've been coming back to as an initial approach. I have her work address so I'm actually thinking of ringing her and trying to arrange a meeting.

Updates will follow.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Unless you were trying to get into her pants while you were dating her sister, I can't see it going badly.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
No problems there. I behaved with complete decorum and respect. Very old fashioned upbringing.

haven't been keeping track, did you end up telling the mrs what you are up to?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
haven't been keeping track, did you end up telling the mrs what you are up to?

I've decided to but need to pick my moment. It will be done before i go any further. Probably this weekend when no grandkids are around.

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
Not going to read 5 pages BUT!

Tell your wife.

If you approach her husband then maybe as an old friend rather than an old boy friend, not lying but not initially throwing it out there.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Any updates yet ???

Yes mate, from today. My internet modem crashed a couple of weeks ago and the only access I've had has been via my phone. The copy of the death certificate I requested a month ago was sent to me but Outlook decided it was junk mail and filed it in that category, which isn't an option on Outlook on the phone. Got the internet back on today and there was the certificate in the junk mail.

I now know the cause of death, which was as I had "hoped"it would be in view of her young age. She had told me she was epileptic when we were a couple and I remember asking her what I should do if she ever had an incident in my company (which never happened, thank god). In recent days, I had started to wonder if her death was natural, accidental or the result of foul play. It was natural. An epileptic attack, which obviously must have been pretty severe. She died at home, leaving two kids, 3 and 1. I guess at those ages, neither ever got to really know their mum.

The certificate has answered many of my questions and I'm not certain now whether to contact her sister or not. I would only want to know if she had resigned from our employer because I'm sure that if she was still employed, I would have heard it through the grapevine at the time. I've located her two kids on Facebook and they seem to have made a good fist of their lives. I won't be going there for obvious reasons. There was also a third child (the eldest) who must have died very early as she was recorded on the death certificate as deceased. It's all pretty sad, really. I just wish I had found out at the time. The marriage was only four years old, so it took place about two years after our trip to Kyogle and I suspect that when we last met walking to work one day around 1977/78, she was already married. It's an sad coincident that she died the same month that my other half was advised she was pregnant with our first child, who was born in July 1981. Life goes on.....

Just as a matter of interest, I did tell the other half. Her reaction was much better than I thought it would be and she had no objections to me making contact with the sister. If I do contact her, and there is anything of value to add to this thread, I'll post it but I suspect that it might end here.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Thanks .........................................

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
this has sort of been an amazing mission, and glad i got to read about it. thanks Calaber