Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

AFM L76 lifter rattle when cold WTF?

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Our 09 SS AFM has a little rattle on start up, was there from 10000kms when we got it now at 70000 its better. Used to do 150kms a day on the highway to work so put in some 10w60 as I've run in my L98's big mistake made the rattle worse, car is on 5w30 edge now(it only does a 5km trip to work now that we moved).

Try a good oil a see if that helps 5w30 works for us could depend were you live re temp

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Do you leave the insulation there full time, or just overnight?

It's only for top security runs, same principle as the cone-of-silence in Get Smart... still being tested, not practical all the time, the industrial-grade noise insulation cloak is fitted only when there's a bit of a hangover.

Actually is left over from sound proofing the rest of car :yarr:

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
Any details on what you've done there and the outcome? I'd like to make mine a bit quieter on raod.

/thread hijack

VY'er

FluroSSV
Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE SSV Sedan
After lots of thought and ringing around performance shops in Perth I have decided to get a few things done to rectify this lifter rattle in my L98, first thing was to try PI4ATES method he suggested which was to put some high zinc 10w40 engine oil to see if it would help, it did but only to a certain degree. Also the oil which I replaced was sent away for viscosity check to see if any metal shavings where apparent and yes there was, which basically meant the cam needed replacing,this is where the camshaft has shown signs of wear from the metal to metal contact. It can go from bad to worse when the roller wears enough to split in half and leave the now roller-less lifter to dig into the camshaft, this is where the noise goes from chatty parrot to an even worse sound and the repair bill may go from a couple of thousand to a whole new engine according to the shop.

So now have it booked in for a VCM-21 camshaft, Lunati dual valve springs, retainers, locks, chromoly pushrods, upgraded 3 bolt cam sprocket with ARP cam bolts, water pump and timing cover gaskets. Next I will be changing out the lifters for Morel Tie Bar Lifters, MLS Head Gaskets and ARP head bolts. Then its in for a VCM OTR and tune, all up Im looking at 5K. I could go for just the Morel Tie Bar lifters if the head gaskets and ARP head bolts aren't extremely necessary and save around 1k but am not sure if anyone can enlighten me that would be great.

The only issue I face atm is having stock heads and cats as well as stock exhaust I would have liked to go the normal route ie full exhaust system otr then cam but I just don't have the cash to do the whole lot in one go I know I am not going to draw anywhere near the power from the stock headers and exhaust after the cam install but that will be on the cards in the next few months. I read that changing the oil pump should be done along with a cam install should I add this to the list?

Any advice before I bite the bullet would be appreciated.

P.S. thnx PI4ATE for ur help so far mate.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
How many km's has car done??

Engine LS3 crate for $7200 might be a better option

I've done heads cam in my VE myself and the chain tensioner should be changed to a LS2 item so put that on the shopping list, get arp head bolts for sure(you can reuse). Try and streach for an exhaust otherwise you will need a retune down the track.

VY'er

FluroSSV
Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE SSV Sedan
How many km's has car done??

Car has just done 90,000ks

Engine LS3 crate for $7200 might be a better option

Would be if I didnt plan to keep it for more than a couple of years plus after cam otr etc will should have more power although the thought of an LS3 is nice after labour its gonna cost me more anyways

I've done heads cam in my VE myself and the chain tensioner should be changed to a LS2 item so put that on the shopping list, get arp head bolts for sure(you can reuse). Try and streach for an exhaust otherwise you will need a retune down the track.

Thanks for the advise I will make sure I ask for the tensioner to be done also, exhaust is on the cards but will have to wait a month for that ;( . Update retune isnt too bad I just hope all this will fix my issue it may be costly but I think its gonna be worth it!

bigdaddycool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS SILVER SEDAN
My car has the starter lifted rattle depending on if I change it's tune.

It's caused by two things. The car cooling down too fast and it being overly rich when starting.

You can 'tune' the issue out more then likely.

My guess is you had made some sort of modification correct?

Queball

Reaction score
Members Ride
Honda
Pretty widespread problem if this thread is anything to go by. What I take from this as a possible purchaser is to avoid L76 and early L77 motors altogether? Does anyone have a pic of where to find the engine build date? I realise this does not necessarily relate to the build date on the ID plate.

Does this sound reasonable?