Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

AFM L76 lifter rattle when cold WTF?

bluessv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore SS Thunder Ute
60thssv, yep it's ticking away. Your model has proven issues with cam and GM have since released revised litters for your L98 too. Would definitely be taking it to the dealer armed with heaps of research...even revised part numbers etc

Advanced_Amatuer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS 2010
From what was discussed here im sure if you had a problem it would be pretty darn loud.
Mine makes a tappy noise like most but is normal.
I even gauged it next to my mates clubby and they sounded the same ( his has 80,000 km
On the clock mi e has 5,000 )

60thssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
60TH VE SSV
Oh gosh , my husband works away and im trying to deal with this and Holden just kind of keeps pushing me away telling me its normal :( One wanted to charge me for saftey checks and to put it on the computer the other one said i have to pay for oil pressure tests and stuff. The one i went to yesterday noted it down that i had taken it in for noises but said until they can hear it in cab then its hard to do a warranty job on it? Thinking they are stuffing me around. Brian Gardner said its not normal but there is no way they can get our car in to check as they are to busy. AHHH ive never had to deal with warrantys b4 in so nervous.

I will take a video of what it sounds like when bonnet is open and ill take the video from there.

60thssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
60TH VE SSV
From what was discussed here im sure if you had a problem it would be pretty darn loud.
Mine makes a tappy noise like most but is normal.
I even gauged it next to my mates clubby and they sounded the same ( his has 80,000 km
On the clock mi e has 5,000 )

ok cool, hopefully its normal then.. i dont know much about these engines we've always had the old 5ltr hehe,i dont think ours a AFM

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
ok cool, hopefully its normal then.. i dont know much about these engines we've always had the old 5ltr hehe,i dont think ours a AFM

The only ticking noise you should hear from the engine is the sound of the fuel injector tick. Any other mechanical noise (knocking, clunking) or otherwise should not be consided normal. This is a general response to get you to go away. Others on this forum have Gen4 and LS2/3 engines which do not make this noise so it could hardly be considered normal!.

I would definately video record the noise so you have a record also at which time the noise always occurs. If its morning (cold start) then its no use taking the car to a dealer during the day and asking them to hear the problem. The issue wont be present. You need to put them in the same environmental condition you hear it.

60thssv, refer to my earlier post (185) for some guidence. Alternatively you can PM me.

60thssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
60TH VE SSV
thanks , it sounds perfect on start up and untill its warm then it noise starts. Sounds down low at the bottom of the engine, and stays the same doesnt get louder or change rythem. Im thinking of putting it in to a mechanic i havent been to before and get them to do a report on it. I called Holden customer support but she couldnt help me out at all and also suggested for me to take it to an independant mechanic. I just wish it was simple and they would say yes that isnt a normal noise and we will fix it .. lol wishful thinking hey. After reading how much trouble you guys have been threw with it im dreading it :(

I have recorded the sound and will write a few things down that i have found on the web and suggest they look further into this.We are looking at extending our Holden warranty so if there is any further problems with this car we can hopefuly fall back on the warranty. We have only had this car for 2 months and the tapping has started in the last few weeks.

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
My new L77 engine arrives tomorrow.

Hopefully it has the right build date and should be going in next week. I have everything crossed this one proves to be better than the last.

L98 engines have been discontinued. The L77 will replace VE's with the L98 where warranty is valid.

SSVAGON

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII SV6 Ute
It will be interesting to see that build date on the L77.

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
Been to look at the new motor. It's a 3/4 or long crate motor (minus the intake manifold, coils, TB)

Build date: 07/04/2011 built at 04:33

OldDog

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 1 SS Storm Ute
Was it just me that checked that 7th April was not a Monday or Friday? LOL Keep us posted on how it goes Phil