Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Agents Fees - Selling a house

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Just put our property on the market and got varying amounts of fees. From 2% to 3.3% plus "marketing" - basically an internet and local paper ad.

This is for a house in the Northern suburbs of Adelaide. Got told that the % amount decreases with the property value, eg. if its worth over $400k, 2%, 600k 1.5%, 800k 1% etc (These are not real figures, just an example)

"Marketing" is the sting. Most of the time I just cannot fathom why you possibly need some of the suggested marketing that many seem to thrive off. FFS - you are the agent - you find the buyers and sell the house. That's what the vendor pays the commission for. The extra is just paying again and more so for the agent to do their supposed job. That said, listing with Realestate.com.au and domain.com.au along with some professional photography are pretty much needed in most cases.

timbo888

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
yep our last agent was bagging other agents for just whacking a few photos on the net to sell houses, he was claiming he had buyers on his books waiting for a house etc etc.

in the end all he did was put our pictures up on the net and a small ad in the local paper for a week or two. had 1 couple inspect the house and offer $50k under what the agent told us he could get. there were no other buyers interested and we wanted the house gone so we sold it. he made about $11k commission for bugger all work, nice work if you can get it.

after that i was thinking next time i could just whack some photos on a 'housesales.com.au' type site and sell the thing myself - works for cars, why not houses? (would need a good lawyer/conveyencer)