Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Air Bag error code 31

Mark205

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Sandown Wagon
Hi Guys

Last couple of weeks my air bag light has been coming on after start up (1998 VT Commodore wagon). I had the local garage look at it and reset it. They said they had reset it but it is still coming on. They also had a print out that the error code was 31, does anyone know what that fault is, or where i could find it? Had a good look around the forums but cant find anything referring to this code. Thanks

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I'm not 100% sure but I think it's the clock spring.

SID888

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX1 5.7L Berlina Wagon A4
My manual says for code 31, Drivers air bag has open circuit 347 or 348, loop capacitance too low. Basically clock spring i think.

VTS5

TechJunkie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA 3.6L Dual Fuel
Code 31 - Theft Deterrent System: No Signal (Anti-theft communication between PCM and BCM) (could be wrong,cause there isnt a 31 error code for VT V6 in the book)

dazzlimo

dazzlimo
Reaction score
Members Ride
50th ann calais v6 s/c lmt
buy a brand new clock spring from holden take the steering wheel off you will need to take the colem cover off after
thr steering wheel then take the clock pring out put the new one on then turn it 2 half times left then like one and a half right
until you see the marker on it go to green keep it in position then place the steering wheel on
the waring light will still be on so take it to a good machanic to plug in the computer and take the warning off
do not take it to a servo

Mark205

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Sandown Wagon
Sounds like general consensus is clock spring, what exactly is a clock spring (apart from the one found in a clock)? So to take the steering wheel off, is that fairly easy? Do I have to take any precautions with the steering wheel air bag?

Thanks I will see how I get on and come back.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Sounds like general consensus is clock spring, what exactly is a clock spring (apart from the one found in a clock)? So to take the steering wheel off, is that fairly easy? Do I have to take any precautions with the steering wheel air bag?

Thanks I will see how I get on and come back.

Below is a picture of a clock spring, it goes behind the steering wheel. It is quite easy to replace yourself but if you are not that competent I suggest you get it done by someone who is. If you want to do it yourself then buy a workshop manual and it well explain the whole procedure as well as any precautions regarding airbags etc.
If you buy a new clock spring it will already be centred.
You might want to make sure that code 31 is the clock spring, because after thinking about it, I seem to recall code 21 when my clock spring failed.

Attachments

• vt-vx-vy-clock-spring-air-bag-for-sale_130503152801   2.jpg
    vt-vx-vy-clock-spring-air-bag-for-sale_130503152801 2.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 1,820
Last edited:

Mark205

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Sandown Wagon
Thanks accentstencil, I am capable so I will try and confirm the code but i think it read on on the sheet of paper printed out on the diagnostic something about low impedence on steering wheel airbag? Dont have the paper in front of me at the moment but when i get it i will post it. Cheers

SID888

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX1 5.7L Berlina Wagon A4
The reading i mentioned earlier for code 31 is for SDM version 6.2. August 98 they changed to SDM version 8.0, a 2, 3 and 4 loop system and version 8.01, a 6 loop system. accenstencil is right but code 21 is a clock spring code in version 8.xx