Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Air Conditioning Advice

P

pest

I have a VR Statesman that used to get a foul smell coming out of the vents. The air-con also died about the same time. The smell was very similar to the oil in the air-con system and contant re-gassing of the system proved to be a waste of time. I then pulled out the dash and heater box and there was the problem, a very ugly looking evaporator with bubbles in the alloy. Problem solved. This would've cost a fortune if a mechanic did the job.

Bud

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Shagmobile
I have exactly the same problem with my VS Executive where the air con (including fan blower) doesn't come on straight away and then will come on 15 minutes or so later on it's own.

Did you end up finding a solution? It's driving me mad!

Email me please - [email protected]

Thanks

Bud

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Shagmobile
Here's a solution I performed today -

1. Remove the cover from the relay box in the engine bay
2. Unclip the relay assembly from the body (2 clips in the middle)
3. Locate the "Ignition" relay and remove it
4. Unclip the black/grey wire from the relay housing and solder a wire to it.
5. Clip the connector back into the relay housing and insert the relay
6. Remove the relay that is next to the "ignition" relay
7. Unclip the black wire from the relay housing under this relay and solder the other end of the free wire you soldered previously to it.
8. Clip the connector back into the relay housing and insert the relay
9. Push the relay assembly back onto the body
10. Re-fit the relay box cover

FIXED!!!!!

:D :cool: :)

gsmrobinson

Reaction score
This is for a previous question posted here, sorry been away for a while

Two options, BIG job and Not recommended job.

The only correct option if the heater core is leaking it to take the whole dash out, about two days work.

The other option is to take the bits of ducting and trim from under the drivers side foot area and cut the pipes from the old heater corre and do the same with the new one and then flare the ends of the pipes and fit a hose btween the pipes. The reason this is not recommended or done normally is that the hose can get a leak in it and spray boiling water over you feet wilst driving.....but it does save about a day and a half work.

Sorry did not get a look at picture...could not locate it.

Hope this helps....regards Guy.

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VE SportWagon International A4
pest said:
I have a VR Statesman that used to get a foul smell coming out of the vents. The air-con also died about the same time. The smell was very similar to the oil in the air-con system and contant re-gassing of the system proved to be a waste of time. I then pulled out the dash and heater box and there was the problem, a very ugly looking evaporator with bubbles in the alloy. Problem solved. This would've cost a fortune if a mechanic did the job.

Not sure if this is the same problem as I have with my VR. A/C works fine, but sometime a musty smell comes though the vents. One way I have found to solve the problem momentarily is to switch between the recycle vent and the fresh air vent. Usually good for at least 5 minutes, then the smell comes back. Hoping to find away to fix the problem permanently.

gsmrobinson

Reaction score
Glen 20 (not the hospital one though for obvious reasons)

Turn the flap to inside air (recirc) remove the glove box and spray the glen 20 behind the glovebox area. This will get rid of any "bugs" the system may have causing the smell.

If it is the oil from the a/c system then the only option isd to remove the evap and replace it.

Regards guy

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VE SportWagon International A4
gsmrobinson said:
If it is the oil from the a/c system then the only option isd to remove the evap and replace it.

Regards guy

Now that I am running the air con more often and longer, it seem the musty smell is the oil from the a/c system. How do I check the evaportor for damage, more importantly where is it located and how do I get to it ? :unsure:

C

Crazy

i have a vr bt1

and the a/c dosent work i turn it on and it starts off cool and 5 seconds later it starts to blow heat wat the **** is going on please help

Z

zimmy

a word to the wise

think carefully about repairing climate control air con in vr commodores, you open up a can of worms and the cost can escalate very quickly $1500 dollars was eaten up fast this was using after market parts holden parts would have been a telephone number job my two cents

S

sick vs

when i have the either the heater or aircon on when i accelerate medium to fast the air that blowes into your face or whatever other setting you had it on changes to blowing on you foot.The controls arnt moving it just changes direction automatically. Then to get it back to the original setting you have to back the car right off. Also it changes when you just have the ignition starts of on the setting that you want the changes to blowing on your feet. I hope that makes sense. Any ideas of what could be. Thanks