Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Aircon actuator

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
got the dreaded clicking sound behind the dash-actuator failure common fault, after it was stuck on demist (still blowing cold air ) have managed to get it to come out from the front vents, now does anybody have pics DIY fix or which actuator it could be, have got two new actuators ready to go so want to find out which one it could be, clicking from the middle to upper part (behind display/radio area) can you remove a cover or two to find out which one:hmmm::rip:

Last edited:

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
have replaced the actuator at the top on the passenger side and all good, I do remember reading something from a thread (cant find it)put up by our resident Holden guru Ricey about dropping the bottom trims and looking up and feeling which one was clicking, found it and replaced in an hour, not too hard just the top screw a bit difficult (used a snap on 6 inch long drive and socket with a Phillips bit in it) all done

Blockab

R8WAGZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE HSV CLUBSPORT R8 TOURER
mine was clicking in the same area just mine was stuck on feet then i turned it on and off to get to blow through the face vents and now it wont change between feet and face.
face to demist is no dramas at all

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
have you tried the relearn, if id doesn't work you probably need new actuator

Jonesy40

Reaction score
Members Ride
Voodoo VE SS UTE
Hi MYVESSV8 can you please tell me where you sorced the actuator from and how much were they?

my ute has stuffed two top passerngers and top drivers have 'manulay' made them work for now.

thanks

Jonesy

Jonesy40

Reaction score
Members Ride
Voodoo VE SS UTE
Thanks, good to hear they are very cheap :)

Stuart123

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 SSV Manual Sportwagon
Hey, I know this thread is 5 years old, but I don't see any more recent one for this topic and I had some info to share.

My s2 ve started the clicking on startup few weeks back. I read through a few of the topics here then found this via google
https://www.autoinstruct.com.au/man...dore/replacing-air-conditioner-actuator-hvac/
(a good read if you just want to diagnose what's happening with your vents)
I know you can get them cheaper, but I figured I used their guide so I owed them one.

Turns out mine was the top drivers side one, which they list as the most difficult....
Symptoms was that I could not turn the passenger side off cold, and unable to change which vents the air comes out of. (floor/face/window etc)

I have quite large hands and I admit it was difficult. The back of my hand ended up swollen just from jamming it in there :D
Its hard to explain but you can only fit one hand up there, the screw is perpendicular to your arm, so you need to place a finger on the end of your tool to push it sideways into the Phillips head screw, then use other fingers to rotate your ratchet. But your hand/arm cannot really move.

Having a universal joint screwdriver might help, or a very tiny ratchet. My smallest Sidchrome one was way to large to fit.
I ended up taping a driver bit into the end of a 1/4'' spanner (was only able to get about 1/8th of a turn out of it. Then untape it and turn the driver bit 1/8th of a turn... so on and so forth.

Whole job took about 2hours.
Afterwards, running through the relearn process made everything work fine.
I have a picture of the cog that breaks in the actuator if anyone is interested.
Its incredibly small and is the cog that is directly turned by the worm drive on the motor shaft.

I hope anyone who has this one break on them is blessed with small hands :)

Regards,
Stuart.