Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

AirCon Leak, and warranty woes

Sfitz38

Reaction score
Members Ride
2018 ZB Commodore LT
I recently picked up a 2018 ZB LT (2lt cyl) from a local car yard.
Runs out of warranty in June of next year.

The aircon wasn't 'cold and took it back and he agreed.

Booked it in for me at the Holden dealer (well service department) who said it has a leak, put dye in it/filled it up. Took it back a week later so they could pinpoint, and organise repairs under warranty.

Back in October, when they filled it, for 2 weeks it was cold, but it is barely cool now. They have the receiver dryer, but have been waiting on the high pressure hose since diagnosed. I ring weekly, and they can't give me an ETA. They told me Holden have NO parts (hose) and are trying to source from other dealers.

They told me this weeks ago also. They can't even estimate if it will be sorted before I will be travelling up north over Christmas (summer in QLD with no air eek)

So dealer warranty runs out soon (3 month)
Factory warranty June next year.

Suggestions on a quicker response, or who or where to go?
The leak was just the high pressure hose but apparently need to replace the dryer at the same time.

Thank you!

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca

The leak was just the high pressure hose but apparently need to replace the dryer at the same time.

Thank you!

dont stress about the warranty times because you have lodged the issue so you are covered for that issue.
unfortunately you have to wait for the parts to come from europe most of the time.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Systems usually leak at the pipe to hose junction (which is used to absorb vibrations and/or movement an avoid pipe fatigue).

Repairing the hose requires $20 worth of parts and a $250 crimping tool that any/all aircon joints should have ain’t rocket science.

If your in need or a quick repair, here’s how it’s done...

and alternative fix (maybe a little more costly and less factory looking)...

So it can be repaired and put on the road without delay but Holden can’t see past remove and replace due to having to provide warranty on the repair (which I understand)... If it was me and it was a warranty job, i‘d want the factory fix of new parts... Your desire/need due to impending holidays may differ so discuss it with the dealer...

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I recently picked up a 2018 ZB LT (2lt cyl) from a local car yard.
Runs out of warranty in June of next year.

The aircon wasn't 'cold and took it back and he agreed.

Booked it in for me at the Holden dealer (well service department) who said it has a leak, put dye in it/filled it up. Took it back a week later so they could pinpoint, and organise repairs under warranty.

Back in October, when they filled it, for 2 weeks it was cold, but it is barely cool now. They have the receiver dryer, but have been waiting on the high pressure hose since diagnosed. I ring weekly, and they can't give me an ETA. They told me Holden have NO parts (hose) and are trying to source from other dealers.

They told me this weeks ago also. They can't even estimate if it will be sorted before I will be travelling up north over Christmas (summer in QLD with no air eek)

Thank you!

Warranty will still be honored

Other people to speak to are the gov't and the shipping companies and the supplier....Holden can't hurry the ships with the parts up, nor can they hurry the supplier up, especially with this virus getting round. So it's a case of patience

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
high pressure hose went in my VF, air con guy said they use a crappy one so replaced it with a custom made jobby that will likely outlast the rest of the car for a fraction of the cost.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Aircon is a sealed for life system and about the only thing that should cause a leak is a crash or something hitting the condenser... A leaking hose joint is either poor manufacture or substandard design... It's up their with space shuttle rocket booster o-rings design philosophy though not as immediately deadly...

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Aircon is a sealed for life system and about the only thing that should cause a leak is a crash or something hitting the condenser... A leaking hose joint is either China manufacture or substandard design... It's up their with space shuttle rocket booster o-rings design philosophy though not as immediately deadly...

Fixed it for ya!

Sfitz38

Reaction score
Members Ride
2018 ZB Commodore LT
Thanks everyone, good to know the warranty will be honoured. Just don't feel as though the hose order/request has even been placed.

Especially when they say 'Holden have no parts' and 'we will look at other dealers and call you back' and never get the call.

Will wait it out a little longer for now :)

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
How long is life these days? 5 yrs, 8 yrs oops, maybe only 4 yrs ;) (kidding).
Hahaha, I did ask a consumer body some years ago and they said life isn’t define in ACL so can vary depending on who is hearing tje case but they consider 10 years is an ok timeframe... I asked them on what basis they came to that conclusion and whether they’re concerned since they are middle aged and thus only have 5 years left... would be better for them if they followed the life = 25 years as in the criminal justice system :p

Reactions: Lex