Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

All items for a minor service?

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
well, like anything on the internet of course anyone reading can’t verify most info. But I’ll say this - BITOG is the most reputable oil related website on the net, and people who post there generally don’t troll.

here’s the link to the whole thread..make your own mind up.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3752760/Re:_New_AC_Delco_PF48E_&am

This is what he said later, all which is relevant...

"
The engine that that filter was on was a direct injection with overhead cams driven by chains. They are hard on oil. The engine is not dirty though. The wix filters that I had run during the same time looked way better than that ecore. The ecore got ran longer than I normally run for oil changes plus it was not technically the correct size. The dealer installed the filter that was speced for the older models. It defiantly wasn't run outside of gms recommended oci but just barley held up to the job. To close for comfort. If it had turned out like several of the ecore that have been posted here lately I wouldn't have a problem running them."

Also...VF service interval is 15 000km or 9 months or 7500km in 'extreme driving conditions' (which would in slide stop start driving) so if a VF clocked 15 000 km before 9 months it would be most likely significant highway driving...

We are lucky we have many choices when it comes to this, so each to their own... :)

ahhhh nothing like good engine oil related discussion; guaranteed to please ;)

Last edited:

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
plus it was not technically the correct size

That has zero to do with the condition that filter is in. Whether it was slightly bigger or smaller than OEM spec (it couldn't have been much out if it still mated with the mounting face), it shouldn't end up like that after 11k kms. You can't tell me that the superceded PF48 with metal end caps would have collapsed like that?

I'm not sure of your point regarding VF service intervals? But I'll agree, there are many choices out there and I remain unconvinced that the 48E is the best for these engines. Z663ST FTW..!

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
That has zero to do with the condition that filter is in. Whether it was slightly bigger or smaller than OEM spec (it couldn't have been much out if it still mated with the mounting face), it shouldn't end up like that after 11k kms. You can't tell me that the superceded PF48 with metal end caps would have collapsed like that?

I'm not sure of your point regarding VF service intervals? But I'll agree, there are many choices out there and I remain unconvinced that the 48E is the best for these engines. Z663ST FTW..!

Slightly bigger or smaller matters...
Not sure what really happened...
We know very little about what caused whatever is shown in that picture...and I need much better reason to stop using the product than that internet story..
The dude could've just hacked when trying to open it up...
Could have been manufacturing defect...
Could have been anything.
There is no such thing as collapsible ACDelco oil filter gate...

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
D9BD9520-13DD-44F3-B91B-FB76B7ABFDF0.jpeg
Slightly bigger or smaller matters...
Not sure what really happened...
We know very little about what caused whatever is shown in that picture...and I need much better reason to stop using the product than that internet story..
The dude could've just hacked when trying to open it up...
...fair enough..mines in for a service tomorrow and I'm deciding which one of these to give them..the 663 is my first choice..but hey HSV recommend Mobil 1..so if anything goes tits up..:rolleyes:

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
There is no such thing as collapsible ACDelco oil filter gate...

Again though..how many cut them open to check? This one guy did..fancy being the only one out of millions to have a dud.....

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Again though..how many cut them open to check? This one guy did..fancy being the only one out of millions to have a dud.....

How many 663 Ryco opened up...?
Oil filter is fairly simple part. Most are just fine. I ll cut mine next service to have a look ;)

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
View attachment 210521
...fair enough..mines in for a service tomorrow and I'm deciding which one of these to give them..the 663 is my first choice..but hey HSV recommend Mobil 1..so if anything goes tits up..:rolleyes:

I thought HSV also use AcDelco...it was engine oil that HSV recommened Mobil1. Not sure. Go with Ryco so you can open it up for us next time bruz

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
I thought HSV also use AcDelco...it was engine oil that HSV recommened Mobil1. Not sure. Go with Ryco so you can open it up for us next time bruz

Yes Bruz..they just recommend M1 oil..I was being facetious in relation to using a filter of the same brand..

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
Oil filter is fairly simple part. Most are just fine. I ll cut mine next service to have a look ;)

Not simple at all. There are many parts of an oil filter which affect overall quality:

- thickness of the can
- material the ADBV is made of
- filtering media material
- bypass valve construction and pressure required to activate it
- inlet holes (size and number)
- gasket material, (silicone or nitrile)
- core construction and material

the list goes on..

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride

Probably few if any, but contrast the 663 metal end caps and wire backed synthetic media to that 48E with fibre caps and nothing to support the media...I'll make an educated guess the 663 would fare a lot better.