Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alloytec 170 vs Alloytec 190?

international

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sportwagon International
I have a 2009 Commodore International Wagon. It has the Alloytec 170 I believe. What is the difference between the two, and what can be done to the engine i have to give it a bit more poke. I am thinking CAI, extractors, and a swap to the twin exhaust off an sv6.

Cheers, Ben

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
Why do people persist in wasting money modding Holden's V6? It's been done, and it's been proven that it's nothing but a waste of money.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
i dont think he's looking for v8 power mate, just "a bit more poke".
and that's exactly what can be achieved by getting a tuned set of extractors and better air intake.
coupled with a tune, the results are quite noticable.

OP, i know you said you have an International... but just confirming it's not a SIDI?

thehsvmanv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore Acclaim
Only a V8, or turbo driver, would say that!

Nothing like a big Aussie six mate! Especially when its got 3800 stamped on the top!

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
LOL, get ya hand off it. Nothing worth writing home about either.
What I can't understand is why there is 9million threads all asking the same thing. Like, exactly the same bloody thing!

As for the differences, not 100% sure. But From what I've read its a tune...
Don't bother going with the factory stuff unless you're broke and your current exhaust has holes in it. Spend the few extra bucks and get something decent.

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
We can tune these cars now including SIDI models of which we'll be offering mail order tunes to suit shortly :)

Will have more info about on our section of the forum early week :)

MACE sure can!! :D

OP, is yours SIDI or what?

Assuming yours isn't the highoutput engine. It's either the 180kw or the 190kw. The 190kw has more power, but less torque. Can you check?

Anyway, airhammer CAI, pacemaker headers and SV6 exhaust should see it have abit more poke :)

m05tw4nt3d

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV WAGON
Why do people persist in wasting money modding Holden's V6? It's been done, and it's been proven that it's nothing but a waste of money.

Why are your comments always negative, and never help an OP with t&ere question at all? If you have nothing constructive to say don't bother wasting peoples time.

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
Why are your comments always negative, and never help an OP with t&ere question at all? If you have nothing constructive to say don't bother wasting peoples time.

Mate I'm speaking through experience. I spent thousands on my VE Calais Sedan. I was one of the idiots. I learnt the hard way. Don't waste money on a NA V6 (unless you're putting FI in)

Wheels, suspension, CAI, exhaust (full, incl headers & cats), tune... Over $4000 and could easily have spent more. Then I just went and bought a VE Clubby and stock it blew the Calais out of the water!!! Should never have spent a cent on the Calais, other than wheels and suspension for nice looks...

So it's not about "being negative". It's providing advice from experience. Spending thousands on a 170kw Alloytec is stupid! Buy an SS Sportwagon and be done with it.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Have you had your pills today CSP?
You're actually making sense :D.

For some reason the V6 brigade see it as being negative when you tell them the truth...