Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alloytec 190 - Hmmmm, I sseem to be using a little oil....

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
dont forget manuals will use more oil than autos, because of engine braking at say 3,000rppm creates huge vacuum behind the butterfly, so it'll pull oil up the sides of the rings

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Yes, good point Andy. (I'll get that strip of LEDs to you real soon too Mate - sorry about that....)

Again, that's the thing with these thinner runnier oils I guess...

Ah, not to worry - I'm doing an oil change this weekend, so I'll keep a close eye on it. Thatnks for your tip too CNULTR - I'll have a look at that. (I assume you mean those long plastic plenum tubes running along the top behind the radiator?)

Cheerz! :thumbsup:

shiftySLE

The Lion will never Die!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE, VZ Acclaim
I would say 1 1/2 litres in 3500 k's is too much. For VZ's that are only a few years old, the rings shouldn't be that worn to use that much oil. If they are, the plugs should be oiling up. I've had engines with serious compression issues due to worn/cracked rings and even they didnt use that much oil. Are you sure you dont have a leak. It doesnt matter if you don't see oil on the floor, a lot of the time it lands on a rail or burn straight off after dropping on the exhaust. Check the filter carrier, rear main, rocker covers and other obvious parts for leaks.

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
this only occures in a 190 useing a 175 dipstick.
175 dipstick is shorter and subequent overfilling of the sump, natural burnoff.
take to holden and run dipstick "id" to confirm correct stick used.

calay

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais
i found out yesterday that my oil filter canister has been leaking some oil and has been difficult to open.. gotta love apprentices telling u stuff about ur car that the boss won't say...

shiftySLE

The Lion will never Die!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE, VZ Acclaim
i found out yesterday that my oil filter canister has been leaking some oil and has been difficult to open.. gotta love apprentices telling u stuff about ur car that the boss won't say...

Yes definatelty, you can rely on the apprentice to give out company secrets to nake themselves look smart, happy to hear you sorted it out. The VZ filter carriers have a torque setting that should be used, not just a spanner as they are prone to leak once cracked open.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
Yes definatelty, you can rely on the apprentice to give out company secrets to nake themselves look smart, happy to hear you sorted it out. The VZ filter carriers have a torque setting that should be used, not just a spanner as they are prone to leak once cracked open.

they only leak if you dont replace the o-ring when you change the filter

Davek78

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 vz s ute
Common fault, crankcase ventilation sucks on these 3.6lt v6. Not a proper PCV valve as such, more of a nipple with a pin hole to reduce suction from the inlet manifold while it is running. Once the outlet on the drivers side rocker cover is clogged, it draws Bock through the unrestricted passenger side rocker cover, drawing oil back through the system into the inlet hose between the air box and throttle body. Which can cause a horrible carbon build up inside the inlet manifold and generally make it run like crap.

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
Common fault, crankcase ventilation sucks on these 3.6lt v6. Not a proper PCV valve as such, more of a nipple with a pin hole to reduce suction from the inlet manifold while it is running. Once the outlet on the drivers side rocker cover is clogged, it draws Bock through the unrestricted passenger side rocker cover, drawing oil back through the system into the inlet hose between the air box and throttle body. Which can cause a horrible carbon build up inside the inlet manifold and generally make it run like crap.
instead of reviving an 11 year old thead should have done a search and found this thread about the pcv mod that we have all done
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/alloytec-pcv.279039/