Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

alloytec fault i thought i would share.

bcw61

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2005 Executive Wagon
he then told me to hold the accelerator pedal about halfway down

Actually, you can activate the 'Clear Flood Mode', by holding the accelerator pedal all the way down (WOT), whilst cranking the engine. The Clear Flood Mode causes the ECM to completely disable the fuel injectors, prevent any fuel being injected and allowing the clearance of the unburnt fuel. Also having the accelerator at WOT during the Clear Flood Mode allows maximum airflow through the engine during cranking, further enhancing the removal of unburnt fuel. The ECM will maintain the Clear Flood Mode as long as the accelerator is at WOT, and engine speed is less than 1000 rpm. This feature in the ECM goes as far back as the VN, and is is similar to the 'unloader' feature on old carby engines, to assist starting a flooded engine.

It is surprising that the owners manual does not appear to make any mention of this feature, as it may possibly have saved you some time, money & grief.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
My brother-in-law is notorious for shifting the 2005 Holden Astra CDxi (Ecotech engine) 2 metres back every day so he has workshop space. It often splutters, shakes and coughs from this treatment week in week out. To him, advice on better ways to treat the car is unwelcome. Fine. Glad he's not in charge of my VZ!!

I wanted to know, does the digital display in VZ actually say "CLEAR FLOOD MODE" as a message with or without an associated trouble (or error-) code and "OK!" confirmation message??
The Owners Manual does have a lot of irritating omissions which have only been answered well on this forum, and it could with less pomp and posturing with English and more refinement and existing content inclusion of lesser-known but very valuable and helpful information.

bcw61

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2005 Executive Wagon
I wanted to know, does the digital display in VZ actually say "CLEAR FLOOD MODE" as a message with or without an associated trouble (or error-) code and "OK!" confirmation message??
The Owners Manual does have a lot of irritating omissions which have only been answered well on this forum, and it could with less pomp and posturing with English and more refinement and existing content inclusion of lesser-known but very valuable and helpful information.

I fully concur with your sentiments. The 'Clear Flood Mode' is inbuilt into the ECM. I haven't tried the Clear Flood Mode out on my VZ (might try it out tomorrow when I'm less pissed), but the factory manual makes no mention of any indications or warnings coming up.

Like you, I'm really surprised that the owners manual makes no reference to this mode. This is the same as my old VN - which also had this facility inbuilt into the ECM - I don't recall any reference to this mode in the owners manual. Maybe an attempt to extract extra service dollars for dealers perhaps???

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
The "clear flood" feature is apparently a standard feature in most ECU's.As explained above,its activated by holding the throttle wide open and cranking the engine over..Its mentioned a few times in the tech 1 handbooks and user manuals.. Id never even heard of it until reading it in these tech 1 manuals.

Burdurky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ v6
i started my vz and moved it about 4 meters, back into the garage.
the next day i went to start the car, it turned over but refused to start.

Same thing here! I moved car for 10 seconds one cold rainy morning and then it would not start later. The solution for me ( i assume) was to wait until another cold morning at same time with similar temp and light rain (humidity?) and it started after a very short while. It wanted to start straight away but I had to keep trying for only a minute or so. I am guessing the computer remembered those original cold conditions and locked them in, so when I was trying later in warmer dryer conditions it kept flooding because it thought it was freezing cold and wet?

I tried for days before that, firstly I installed new battery, the nrma came out and checked the fuel pump relay and fuel supply. He checked oil and coolant levels and turned it over for 10 mins with a jump start cable from his van with foot flat on the accelerator and still no luck. I also noted he would lock the doors and unlock them on every new starting attempt, maybe to reset the immobilizer? He also asked me for the spare key so he could also try with that to make sure the connections between the barrel and key where working. He also put some petrol into the intake manifold whilst I was turning it over and it spluttered a bit. He gave up after 20 mins and told me it was simply flooded, a common problem with VZ and to wait for a while (days maybe) and it would dry out and start eventually. He told me I could speed up the process by taking the plugs out and allowing the chambers to dry for an afternoon, which I did and it still would not start. I must have flattened and recharged the battery 6 times over the last few days.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I have a Territory, and with the VVT, if you start it and then shut down, or if it doesn't start first up, the cams may go "out of phase".
To restart, hold WOT and wind until it fires, splutters, and will eventually settle to idle. I've had to do this a few times.
The more technically minded people may jump all me over for this, but maybe the alloytec suffers the same problem.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
As above.....
Holden Factory Service Manual said:
CLEAR FLOOD MODE
If the engine floods, it can be started by pushing the accelerator pedal down all the way to the floor while cranking the
engine. The PCM then pulses the injectors with zero millisecond pulse width, which should "clear" a flooded engine.
The PCM holds this pulse width as long as the throttle position sensor input indicates the throttle is above 80% and
RPM is below 400.
If the throttle is held wide-open while attempting to make a normal start with a non-flooded engine, the engine
will not start.

CONROD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS THUNDER 6.0l 6 Sp
The moral to this sorry story is probably quite clear: avoid very short runs.
Historically I have avoided whenever and wherever possible running the engine — any engine, not specifically the Alloytecs — for something like moving it forward or back a few meters. Oil is not going to circulate through a cold engine in say 30 seconds of driving, simple as that.
Could not agree more mate, :smoking:

Hrd455

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz v6 ute
If u read the manual it says to hold accel pedal all the way in and crank it it will un flood the engine