Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alternator / Battery Process Advice

onehappycamper

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 Vx Berlina S2
Hi all,

So, after the Christmas tree lights and speedo died last week, the alternator has finally drained my battery (probably the regulator)

I wasn't quick enough to change it over and this morning the battery is completely flat (according to the window indicator on it - says to recharge). I'm assuming due to the symptoms that the alternator has drained the battery.

I'm going to replace the alternator tonight, but need to know - do I jump it once replaced or slow trickle recharge overnight and hope it all works tomorrow morning? I would like to know asap that the replaced alternator is ok.

What would the experts recommend?

(VX Ecotec V6)

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I would go the charging method if possible.

onehappycamper

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 Vx Berlina S2
Thanks - I thought that was the best way. What I should have done was put it on charge before I went to work this morning, so that it was charged up over the day. Guess I'll have to wait and see how it all turns out and hope that she works.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Definitely charge the battery if it is completely flat. A flat battery will have relatively high impedance so it won’t be able to suppress alternator spikes as well a charged battery can. Even an hour or two on the battery charger will help.

Even if you jump start the car, Run it for a few minutes with the ‘jump’ connected to get so charge in to the battery, stop the car, disconnect the jumper leads, and try and start the car again using only its own battery. This is a basic battery test - if the battery can start the car, it will usually be charged enough to suppress alternator spikes.

onehappycamper

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 Vx Berlina S2
Thanks - think the plan will be to do the swap over and charge it for 3-4 hours tonight. I'll then see if it starts, if not I'll jump it and do what you have said. Battery should be ok; is fairly new and the indicator window says to charge it, not replace. So hopefully there's still some life in it.

onehappycamper

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 Vx Berlina S2
Update: Alternator in, slow trickled charged over night, however battery indicator light still says to recharge. I've managed to drive it to work this morning (without any Christmas lights) - I'm hoping that it all holds together to not require anything further. Maybe the battery is dead? Or does it just need more time to charge? It's one of those maintenance free batteries.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Give it a bit more time as you have nothing to lose. Batteries are consumables are might as well be used until they fail or wear out. If it is dead, or down, it’s dead or down and you’ll need to replace it. However, if it come good, then use it while it is okay and replace it later.

KustomKulture62

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 Specialized Hardrock Sports Disc 29er
No expert, so I say go buy a new one.

H

harrop.senator

Can you get to the cells and see if they need topping up? Sometimes theyre low on water they can legit roll over and go green to white just by getting the correct acid level and will go white again when it goes flat. Also the window only shows one cell. A lot of the time it can say recharge but will keep working.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
You can't get to the cells on a sealed battery.
Trouble with car batteries is, that once they go dead flat, they don't like being recharged, unlike discharge or deep cycle batteries that are designed to be charged from flat,
You might get away with it and if you do, the battery will probably never be the same again.
They are designed to be kept charged. Not cycled