Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

American Gun Gontrol

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
um ok, I'd love a full auto that holds 30 rounds, why is it that I shouldnt be allowed to have one? Because some one else cant be trusted with it does that mean I cant play with one? Sooo the kid who stole a car last week and killed 4 of his mates means that I now cant have a car?

I disagree. Full auto weapons have no place in civilian hands no matter what your intentions.

myVRrules

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 3.8L manual, VE Omega Sportswagon
You may be able to buy guns illegally, most of us can't. I would not have a clue where to get one and don't want to know. So the law does stop me and most of the population from getting one. If I am angry at you I only have my fists, the cops or the courts to help me, if they can. I can swear at someone pretty nastily too (although not in this forum!). And if those people you know have that illegal guns have the fuzz pay them a visit they'll 'go away' for a long time - which discourages a lot of people.

So the laws do work.

The problem with thinking about this as a mental health problem is that most people who do acts of violence are not mentally ill as we usually think of it. You would probably have to lock us all up at some point in our lives if you want to remove anyone who is potentially dangerous from the community. So it comes down to a straightforward choice - Should we lock each other up? Or lock up the guns? Before you answer look at the stats on how many people are in prison in the U.S. compared to elsewhere.

tommygun

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 M6
Do you know how easy it is to get a gun licence? It's about 150$, criminal check and a membership or a letter from a friend with a certain amount of acreage. It's pretty easy to get a gun if you want one and can prove why you are using it.
Gun control won't stop anyone hunting or recreational shooting. Just stops guns been readily available, I don't see how that's an issue to someone who wants a gun for those reasons.
I still haven't heard a legitimate reason not to have it.
Are there any people who actually shoot guns who have a problem with the laws we have in Australia?

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
um ok, I'd love a full auto that holds 30 rounds, why is it that I shouldnt be allowed to have one? Because some one else cant be trusted with it does that mean I cant play with one? Sooo the kid who stole a car last week and killed 4 of his mates means that I now cant have a car?

Please explain what possible use you could have for a full automatic weapon?

Trying to make the arguement that "Oh, cars kill people too, lets all be wowzers and ban cars too" is stupid. It shows that there is no real proper, free standing arguement for why automatic/semi-automatic/any gun should be owned by a member of the public "just because" and the only way that gun supporters can knee jerk their way into fighting their corner is to try and find other things that people die from.

Well you know what, people die from choking on food. They also die from slipping and falling in their shower. By your reasoning of how you seem to think that gun control is an over the top measure people would seek to have eating and bathing banned aswell. I've not seen one convincing arguement put forward in this thread, or anywhere else as to why there cant be some form of legislation into firearms.

Aussie V8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC SL/E 308/T350. 1989 FJ75 Toyota Troopcarrier
Where i live i know of someone that was sliced open with an axe by his schizophrenic son that had one of his attacks and nothing was done about it. Others have been killed in fist fights by mentally ill people. Banning guns will not stop mentally ill people from killing.
I used to live 50kms north west of Mt Gambier in Millicent/Tantanoola. About a year after I moved back to NSW the guy who run the swimming lake went missing, his wife and her bf (who worked at the local supermarket as a butcher) killed him and buried him in sand dunes. The point of this story is people don't have to be mentally ill to kill, they can be outright evil to.

twogirlsdad

Waiting for my summer.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'09 Commodore/Pontiac G8 GT Sold. '17 Chevy SS
Gun owning, flag waving Tea Party NRA yank here. I live in Illinois so I can't tote my Beretta legally. Illinois is the only state in the US that does not allow any carrying of a concealed weapon. Chicago, our largest city has some of the toughest gun control laws in America but frequently leads the nation in gun violence.

I am disgusted by the actions of that twisted sick individual like any normal human being would be. That being said mass murders will continue to happen even if you disarm the entire world in the blink of an eye. Don't believe me? Try googling Happy Land fire. A man gets into an argument with his girlfriend who tells him to take a hike. Man returns later with a plastic container of gasoline. Man pours it on the stairs leading into Happy Land, end result 87 dead and not one shot fired. Next try Kim Dae-han. This Korean nut case committed suicide by arson but took 198 people with him and again not one shot fired. Zheng Minsheng killed 8 people in front of a school in China with a knife and again not one shot fired.

Limiting guns to the military or police only also does not guarantee you your safety. Just ask the families of the 56 victims of Korean police officer Woo Bum-kon. Also the military is a great place to learn to destroy things such as the Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City Oklahoma. That came to 168 dead and nearly 700 wounded with out firing a shot.

EgyptAir Flight 990 and SilkAir Flight 185 were murder suicides killing over 300 in total.

I'm not even going to list the suicide bombers going boom on an all too frequent basis.

Simply put you'll never stop the mass murderers you'll just change their method of the delivery.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I haven't read the whole thread and don't intend to either, what happened in the US is really sad but gun control laws are for those that abide by the law, criminals and those that haven't got all their marbles together are still going to get hold of what they want, yes, under the current US system it's fairly easy but no matter what laws are in place, those that want to get hold of a firearm will get hold of a firearm. This unfortunately is fact. Yes, gun control could tightened so that you need some sort of vetting system rather that been able to walk into any firearms shop in the US and purchase a full auto weapon of the shelf without somebody taking a second look at the person.

Just to follow up the post above, in one town in Texas I believe just about everybody caries a side arm and they have one of the lowest crime rates in the US !!!

Last edited:

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Gun owning, flag waving Tea Party NRA yank here. I live in Illinois so I can't tote my Beretta legally. Illinois is the only state in the US that does not allow any carrying of a concealed weapon. Chicago, our largest city has some of the toughest gun control laws in America but frequently leads the nation in gun violence.

I am disgusted by the actions of that twisted sick individual like any normal human being would be. That being said mass murders will continue to happen even if you disarm the entire world in the blink of an eye. Don't believe me? Try googling Happy Land fire. A man gets into an argument with his girlfriend who tells him to take a hike. Man returns later with a plastic container of gasoline. Man pours it on the stairs leading into Happy Land, end result 87 dead and not one shot fired. Next try Kim Dae-han. This Korean nut case committed suicide by arson but took 198 people with him and again not one shot fired. Zheng Minsheng killed 8 people in front of a school in China with a knife and again not one shot fired.

Limiting guns to the military or police only also does not guarantee you your safety. Just ask the families of the 56 victims of Korean police officer Woo Bum-kon. Also the military is a great place to learn to destroy things such as the Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City Oklahoma. That came to 168 dead and nearly 700 wounded with out firing a shot.

EgyptAir Flight 990 and SilkAir Flight 185 were murder suicides killing over 300 in total.

I'm not even going to list the suicide bombers going boom on an all too frequent basis.

Simply put you'll never stop the mass murderers you'll just change their method of the delivery.[

Last edited:

Biznatch303

Pew Pew Lasers
Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR Ute/ 16 MQ Triton
Meh, It's just as easy to get a fully automatic weapon in Australia as it is in America. If someone has the motivation to go out and kill people it's going to happen no matter what.