Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Americans to pay $10,000 less for VF Commodore

h4ydos

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice S2
Its GM and GM is an USA company. getting the car for 10,000 bucks less then us is still good for us. they are going to sell 4000-6000 odd cars a year. thats more jobs for us and i dont see the problem.

lets be honest. once you put a chev badge on a LION holden car, You loose 10,000 bucks any way :p

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
Exactly H4ydos, instead of worrying what the Americans are paying, just be thankful our production line is getting the volumes to keep it viable. If the volumes drop then RWD V8's could be retired to the history books

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7

Mungus

SSV364
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SSV Sportswagon
That's the 'Ripped Off' part that shits me! Costs aside, why do we not get the 6.2L? It's not just the extra 0.2l volume but the engine also has some good mods imho! AFM, Camshaft phasing, E85, improved breathing and others. Is this so HSV get their option of performance enhancements? Why can't we have this L99 engine?

Cava454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VZ SS
Buy from their and import in?

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Few factors which i reckon the journalist didnt state on nor did Holden boss elaborate on things.

Its a Chev engine right?

Wrong

So why ship the engine to australia then the car back to USA? Wouldnt it make sense to keep the engine in USA, ship the car shell and install it there using one of their production lines or something?

Besides being stupidly expensive and impractical (ever tried pushing 300 or so cars at a go onto a car transporter ship??), every car that leaves the Holden plant (or any other for that matter) has to be a finished vehicle.

Maybe thats a costings factor, eg shipping, weight, reshipping, weight

Alot of parts as GM based right, so they be able to get things cheaper anyway.

??? You have completely no idea of how the auto industry works do you???

There are several reasons why cars in NA are cheaper than here. Some is based on higher/different taxes and charges, some regulatory and also market forces.

IN the real world all the consumer's would boycott buying the VF, television shows would broadcast the great rip off. The ACCC would jump in a put holden out off business...

Lolwut??? Since when has it been the ACCC's role to set prices??? Further to that, go check out what comparable Toyotas, Fords, Mitsubishis, Hyundais, BMW's, Mercedes, Porsches and any other manufacturers sell for in NA compared to here. Case in point - BMW M5 sells on the road for near $250,000 in Australia. In USA it's just over $90,000. You are bitching about a 20% premium Holden charges in Aus (10% is explained by the GST straight away) when other manufacturers are 2.5 times that???

BUT IN fairness we are such week barstards THAT we will take it up the Ar-E .. YOU will all jump up and down about the $$,

The AUS$ is higher than US$. That makes Aus exports to NA more expensive, not cheaper. I think you have your thinking back to front.

but the weak australian will stop crying and buy their product.. IF we had any balls the vf would sit in holden's yard till they stopped ripping (taking the piss)out off us aussies.. THE stupid goverment would also step in and sort the issue's out... WE ALL KNOW THE YANKS THINK WE AUSSIES ARE STUPID, now we will prove by buying their overpriced product and smile..

And the Australian car industry along with hundreds of thousands of direct and in-direct jobs will all disappear. Yet you appear to be entirely fine with buying over priced imports :bang:. ITS NOT ONLY THE YANKS THAT THINK YOU ARE STUPID!

i thought this discussion would have been more vocal.. LOOKS like we aussies are going too take the ripping off us, and LOVE it....WHATS got me intreeged is my vz dosent suffer from crap timming chains, but the ve does??? AND i work for a auto part supplier too gmh, they want a cheap product, not a great one, so it looks like the vf is going too have more issues than the ve,

HEC changed the timing chain supplier (& spec??) between the VZ and VE models. The later VE SIDI cars don't have the same timing issues AFAIK. That said, why risk it, buy a LS3 :)

To add insult to injury, it's been confirmed that we will still get the 6.0 V8, whereas the Chev will be a 6.2 V8.

So we pay $10K more and get less power and torque.

Holden forced to confirm 6.0-litre V8 for VF Commodore |#CarAdvice

I'd expect a change not too far down the track. The timing of the VF is a little bit out compared to when the new generation motors are rolled out in 2014.

Reaper

Last edited:

Troyziee

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 SSV-R Sportwagon
I read that the Chevy model will have paddle shift auto.... no mention of that for the holden counterpart....

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I read that the Chevy model will have paddle shift auto.... no mention of that for the holden counterpart....

The word is no but a yes for HSV.

Reaper

swingn_wasabi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 SS-V Redline Ute
Personally, given our strong Aussie dollar, I was expecting to see the VF pricing come down slightly. Basically what we saw happen with Jeep & Chrysler.

That's not to say we'd see massive savings since the bulk of the cost would still be labour of which Australia is certainly not cheap.