Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Amp for JL Audio W3 D4 Twin 12"s?

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
Hey everyone... Just wondering if anyone can recommend an amp or sell me one even for 2x JL Audio W3 D4s with the following specs.

Nominal Impendance: Dual 4Ω Power Handling (continuous): 300W

Cheers.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Something that makes 600Wrms or more into 1 channel at 4 or 1 ohm. Can't recommend brands.

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
Something that makes 600Wrms or more into 1 channel at 4 or 1 ohm. Can't recommend brands.

Hmm ok, thought I might need more like 800-1000WRMS.

What's the difference between 4 & 1 ohms?

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
Ohms is the unit used when measuring resistance. You could have an amplifier that produces anywhere from 600wrms + to infinity. Just be sure to set the gains correctly on the amplifier when tuning. What sort of budget are you looking at?

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ohms is the unit used when measuring resistance. You could have an amplifier that produces anywhere from 600wrms + to infinity. Just be sure to set the gains correctly on the amplifier when tuning. What sort of budget are you looking at?

$100-$350 ideally. I don't see the point spending much more than that.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
i know hifonics amps do alright, pm me if you interested, there il shh now coz these other ppl on this forum are so negative against them
I hope it's not as awesome as the Eonon head units you liked too :clap:

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
Don't listen to Nic haha :\

Option Audio equipment is highly recommended around here as excellent value gear. You have two options.

The first option is their 600W RMS monoblock (which produces 600W RMS at 1 ohm): From here for $249
The 600W amp is perfect for your subwoofers and is able to power both with 300W RMS when run together in parallel to produce a 1ohm load, however it leaves no headroom if you wish to upgrade to more power-hungry subwoofers at a later date.

The second option is their 1200W RMS monoblock (which produces 1200W RMS at 1 ohm): From here for $339
The 1200W amp is more than capable of powering your subwoofer, and allows a lot of headroom if you wish to upgrade your subs at a later date. For only $90, the investment is worth it.

To ensure your amps don't over-power your subwoofers, you will need to turn down the gains and ensure that you don't hear the subwoofers struggling at a higher volume.

If you need advice on how to set your gains or how to wire up the subwoofers in parallel to produce a 1 ohm load, just ask.