Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Amp power wire keeps melting fuse holder in engine bay,wtf

goldvnaero

HOLDENS RULE
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS A4
hey all,just wondering if anyone has any ideas why the power wire fuse holder under the bonnet keeps melting,i mean the fuse holder itself keeps melting,its 8 gauge,running a 4ch 1000w boss amp,which is running a 15inch kicker,bridged of course and a pair of 6x9's.do i need to upgrade the gauge from 8 to better,wat does everyone suggest?any help would be much appreciated,cheers

goldvnaero

HOLDENS RULE
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS A4
cheers mate,thats wat i thought,do you think its worth getting a capacitor or dont worry about it?it will be louder with 4gauge as well wont it?

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
a capacitor just keeps a constant power supply pretty much. and no i dont think the sound quality will be any better

goldvnaero

HOLDENS RULE
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS A4
cool,cheers mate,appreciate it.wat about a 4ch 3200w amp,just running a single 12inch pioneer,not bridged though.4 gauge or bigger?

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
wat sort of fuse holders were u using? they werent some cheap holders that rnt heat resistant r they?

goldvnaero

HOLDENS RULE
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS A4
stinger ones,ones that camr with the kit

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
no worries some ppl buy the cheap stuff on ebay n usually wonder y things keep happening 2 them lol but as suggested upgrading ur power wire would prolly help. makes sure every things hooked up n running right also wouldnt hurt 2 double check incase thats another reason y they r melting

goldvnaero

HOLDENS RULE
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS A4
yeh it definately will help,i know a fair bit about stereos and installing them,always putting stereos and hu's in for mates,but havent come across this problem before,had a thought that it might be the power cable getting 2 hot from all the power being drawn,so would definately be wiser to change it to 4gauge,hopefully that fixes the problem.cheers for ur help though mate