Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Another onee to stick in the shed until I get to it...

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
just google "sbc head identification" the ones you want are the double humps (E) the smog heads i had on my 327 and theyre very very MEH. supposedly those double humps with stuff like what youve got (performer manifold etc) are the perfect little setup for mild cam.

i reckon yours are M's which still are not too bad.

PS, surprisingly, those finned rocker covers are worth a fair ol whack of cash

edit* wait this thing is from a vette? those extractors look very much like 80's vette LHD jobbies...

Hangman

Aspiring Sociopath
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Land Yacht
The smog heads will do for the moment just to get the car drivable. I'll probably leave this engine alone once it's in the car and sort out the other one.

On it's way to me are:
New Dart SHP 4.125 bore block
New Edelbrock 15 degree heads, titanium valves, T&D rockers. Been ported and cc'd etc
New JE pistons notched to suit the head
New 6in H beam rods
Ported Victor High Torque manifold
Offset roller lifters

Need a cam and crank obviously but it's a good start. And the blocks clearanced for a 3.75 stroke crank, 400 cubes woo lol

Bloke changed his mind on what engine he was gonna use and I picked it up.

Hangman

Aspiring Sociopath
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Land Yacht
It came out of a HQ wagon. Apparently they're Vette rocker covers and it has a Corvette 350hp grind cam, I have no idea what that is and haven't looked lol, I just wanted a running engine for a decent price.

I've got a pic of the cast number, I'll have a look.

3970010 cast# on the block, nothing special from what I can gather.

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
To be honest, nearly every factory SBC head (except vortecs) is junk now anyway. Yes, fuellies were a very good thing back in their day, but they're all around 50 years old now and most of the time they're cracked and junk. Given how cheap decent heads are nowadays, you wouldn't mess around with them.

Having said all that, IMO they're still the best head for a mild 327 or 350, but you just can't buy them in good nick anymore. Anything bigger than a 350 (i.e 383) they're out of their depth because of the small inlet runner size.

3970010 is just a high nickel content passenger car block, available in 2 or 4 bolt mains.

Hangman

Aspiring Sociopath
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Land Yacht
Found some original paint on the munro. Happy about that, along with what appears to be the original Flax pinchweld, it points to the tags matching the car :smoking:
20141103_161623-1.jpg

My poor dash though :mad:
20141103_160749-1.jpg

Anyone used a rares hq dash facia? Need some gts gauges to fill the holes too.

Hangman

Aspiring Sociopath
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Land Yacht
Probably not gonna get time to do it for about 2 and a half weeks when I've got a couple of weeks off work. The next three weekends are booked solid.

I plan to rip the 304 out before then if I can so that's done before I'm off.