Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Another Qantas plane has engine failure

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
Today in the Advertiser a couple on an Adelaide bound Qantas plane out of Melbourne claim they saw flames shoot out of one of the engines whilst on the tarmac and reported it. The plane was checked over and nothing was found, however this couple decided to get off the plane, hire a car and drive to Adelaide.

The same plane flew safely here.

Personally I would fine this pair of twats for holding up a flight for no reason. Surely if flames had shot out of an engine others would have witnessed it.

VKCOMMO

Carpark Mechanic.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 T5, '77 BMW 320i e21, and a pair of Nike Air
Thats what everyone says, If there is any hint of any sort of failure, even the lift for the food trays, people will say they saw flames/sparks coming out of an engine. Its just so they can get their mug on the news in an interview at the terminal for half a second..

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Did you even read the investigation reports? The explosion was due to a mix of oil in the turbine which blew the casing off the engine which smashed into the wing narrowly missing the fuel lines which would have sparked, caught on fire, exploded in the fuel tanks blowing the plane out of the sky.

actually, a fuel line was severed. i have a preliminary damage report here in front of me with detailed schematic drawings and actual photographs from Airbus themselves. there was as much luck involved in this plane landing safely as much as the pilots following established procedures.

a modern jet turbine is suppose to contain all the debry inside the engine casing during a major event like this, this did not happen. that in itself should worry Rolls Royce.

as much as this is scare mongering by the press, there are some underlying design issues with the engine. minux, personally i don't follow politics in aussie and it has no relevance to this issue which is very real.

the aviation industry as a whole actually has a fairly bad record when it comes to safety. many "known" issues have only been fixed once loss of life has occurred.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Did you even read the investigation reports? The explosion was due to a mix of oil in the turbine which blew the casing off the engine which smashed into the wing narrowly missing the fuel lines which would have sparked, caught on fire, exploded in the fuel tanks blowing the plane out of the sky.

Engine explosion is a serious issue mate. Next time your on a plane and you watch the Engine blow itself apart and realise that it could take the wing off and destroy the plane...you come and tell me there was no major scare.

Could of, should of, would of, didn't.

Today in the Advertiser a couple on an Adelaide bound Qantas plane out of Melbourne claim they saw flames shoot out of one of the engines whilst on the tarmac and reported it. The plane was checked over and nothing was found, however this couple decided to get off the plane, hire a car and drive to Adelaide.

The same plane flew safely here.

Personally I would fine this pair of twats for holding up a flight for no reason. Surely if flames had shot out of an engine others would have witnessed it.

'Final Destination' wannabees?

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
I actually know a lot about what happened...

Plane landed safely and there was no fire. Regardless of why, that's NOT a major scare.

I'm not saying it wasn't a serious failure. But it definitely wasn't a major scare.

A bird almost flew past me today, narrowly missing my windscreen which if it hit it could made me turn into an oncoming bus full of school children blowing it off the freeway and killing all the kidlets.

The above example is no different to what you gave.

Media are bored and they are still mourning Labors loss in Vic, so these hot air stories are the next best thing of reporting real news :p

actually, a fuel line was severed. i have a preliminary damage report here in front of me with detailed schematic drawings and actual photographs from Airbus themselves. there was as much luck involved in this plane landing safely as much as the pilots following established procedures.

a modern jet turbine is suppose to contain all the debry inside the engine casing during a major event like this, this did not happen. that in itself should worry Rolls Royce.

as much as this is scare mongering by the press, there are some underlying design issues with the engine. minux, personally i don't follow politics in aussie and it has no relevance to this issue which is very real.

the aviation industry as a whole actually has a fairly bad record when it comes to safety. many "known" issues have only been fixed once loss of life has occurred.

'Final Destination' wannabees?

I understand what your all saying. But as I said, an engine 'blowing up' with real risk of compromising the airworthiness and the overall safety of the aircraft and more importantly the lives of everyone aboard is a scare. I get uneasy in Turbulence, I would **** my pants if an engine blew.

Regardless that it didn't happen. The possibility of what 'COULD' have so easily happened should be a 'SCARE' in itself.

I don't see how you guys can't understand or appreciate my point of view that I'm saying that when something actually goes seriously wrong with an aircraft, that that isn't a 'SCARE'....

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute

luckily. but im more surprised Rolls Royce havent had a grilling from the media about how they were what caused... (blah blah (rant at media))

the pilots would have trained for the situations anyway, they do hundreds, even thousands of hours in a flight simulator in preparation. so they are pretty sure of how to handle these situations.

atleast they landed safely, and those problems can be fixed. its better then having it blow up and life is lost, before it is fixed.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L

Engine explosion is a serious issue mate. Next time your on a plane and you watch the Engine blow itself apart and realise that it could take the wing off and destroy the plane...you come and tell me there was no major scare.

Major scare and major even are 2 different topics.

My fiancee considers finding a huntsman in our bedroom a major scare.

True, the casing on the engine did cause some damage to the aircraft wing, but it did not cause any issue that could cause the plan to come down.

Their biggest issue what actually the landing because apparently the event knocked out automatic brakes or something of that sort.

An in regards to a fuel line being severed, sparking and the plan exploding. Extremely unlikely. Aviation fuel has a high flash point and is unlikely to ignite easily.

It's a serious problem no doubt, but in terms of danger to the passengers and the aircraft in the case of the A380 event, it was minimal.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
True, the casing on the engine did cause some damage to the aircraft wing, but it did not cause any issue that could cause the plan to come down.

Their biggest issue what actually the landing because apparently the event knocked out automatic brakes or something of that sort.

An in regards to a fuel line being severed, sparking and the plan exploding. Extremely unlikely. Aviation fuel has a high flash point and is unlikely to ignite easily.

Some damage.... that is a understatement. fairly major damage.

A fuel line WAS severed. they did loose control of a lot of the systems on that wing

there was a crash in Karachi yesterday, eye witness reports state a engine was on fire as the plane left the airport. fire is a very real and one of the most dangerous situations that can occur. this also clearly shows that aircraft are in major trouble if they loose even one engine during the take-off cycle if they are loaded. once flying at altitude then it's a different situation

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Some damage.... that is a understatement. fairly major damage.

A fuel line WAS severed. they did loose control of a lot of the systems on that wing

there was a crash in Karachi yesterday, eye witness reports state a engine was on fire as the plane left the airport. fire is a very real and one of the most dangerous situations that can occur. this also clearly shows that aircraft are in major trouble if they loose even one engine during the take-off cycle if they are loaded. once flying at altitude then it's a different situation

True a fuel line was severed, but I'm pretty sure that all these modern planes have monitoring devices that shut down pipes/lines that are compromised, it then divert the fuel though other lines.

Maxxiz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SV6
I think this is just the media starting to chase stories about nothing.

There are plenty of planes that are taken out of service because faults are detected prior to take-off.

It's just pointless brand bashing at this point. The only reason this stuff is making it into the headlines is because of the event with the A380.

And that was an issue that was found to affect most of the A380 engines, just happened to be that the major failure occured on a QANTA's jet.
Exactly! Before that engine 'explosion' happened they didnt headline every engine malfunction, now they are.
I say stfu media!