Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Another Qantas plane has engine failure

wickann15

YEEHAAAAAAAH
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS HSV Clubsport
You think the media would find another story to spin out of proportion. How many people because of media reports will choose to fly with another airline because they think Qantas isnt safe anymore?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Exactly! Before that engine 'explosion' happened they didnt headline every engine malfunction, now they are.
I say stfu media!

this type of engine failure is rather uncommon. the fact that these engines haven't even reached there first overhaul cycle is rather worrysome.

i'd certainly think twice about flying any airline that is using the A380 until there has been a mandatory safety bulletin issued to repair the engine faults. but then i've never been a big fan of Airbus at all.

and yes, Qantas has probably received a bad rep for something that wasn't there fault

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
i'd certainly think twice about flying any airline that is using the A380 until there has been a mandatory safety bulletin issued to repair the engine faults.

That comment = media scaremongering win!

QANTAS & Singapore Airlines use different engines (Rolls Royce) on their A380s than Emirates & Air France (General Electric Pratt & Whitney). Emirates and Air France A380s are unaffected.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
That comment = media scaremongering win!

QANTAS & Singapore Airlines use different engines (Rolls Royce) on their A380s than Emirates & Air France (General Electric Pratt & Whitney). Emirates and Air France A380s are unaffected.

CSP = fail

If you read my entire previous comment (which i will repeat here for you) you'll note that i have never been a fan of Airbus so my stance has absolutely nothing to do with media scaremongering.

I'm a Boeing fan, always have been, always will be simple. Then again i won't fly Qantas any way because they have such crap service. never again on long haul.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
not 100% sure on this. but wasnt/ isnt the servicing of these planes and engines of qantas done overseas?
im sure i read that it was to cut costs.... which if that was right, whereby they took it overseas to cut costs, and this keeps happening, then i say go ahead and media bash these companies until they come to their senses. that being to bring it back to aus where it belongs, and where they do the right job. which it used to be.

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
CSP = fail

If you read my entire previous comment (which i will repeat here for you) you'll note that i have never been a fan of Airbus so my stance has absolutely nothing to do with media scaremongering.

I'm a Boeing fan, always have been, always will be simple. Then again i won't fly Qantas any way because they have such crap service. never again on long haul.

I'm sorry, what? Did you even read my post before going off half cocked?

these engines are basically brand new!!! but ignorance is bliss right :D

Only the Rolls Royce engine on the A380 that failed was reasonably new - it certainly WASN'T brand new. The 747's that have had issues recently are all using much older engines. So sorry, you fail. :D

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm sorry, what? Did you even read my post before going off half cocked?

Only the Rolls Royce engine on the A380 that failed was reasonably new - it certainly WASN'T brand new. The 747's that have had issues recently are all using much older engines. So sorry, you fail. :D

I did read you post but it is obvious that you didn't read mine. I'm getting my information from sources other then the media. i tend to take most of what the media say with a grain of salt. the media only tend to report the most sensationalist facts of a story because that is what sells.

How long have the A380's been in service, how long have the 747's been in service? in comparative terms the A380 is a baby and are basically new so there is absolutely no point in comparing any issues 747's have had recently to the engine failures on the A380, i though this thread was about the A380's

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
I did read yours and it made no sense as a reply to mine. And I too have information from sources other than the media...

Again you aren't making much sense. This thread is about engines failing. 747s have been around since the 1970s. The ones still in service are much much newer than that though, and their engines certainly aren't the originals. There would be many 747s currently in operation with engines NEWER than those on the A380s.