Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Another VT Ignition barrel thread...

Mick1988

W.A. Cruise Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.sarichtechnology.com
Members Ride
Too many to list......
I would have just replaced the entire inner part of the steering column. Just remove the steering wheel, plastic shrouding, indicator and wiper stalks, undo two bolts and it all slides out with the ignition barrel inside it.

wombatisone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim
Okay so you strip the steering column down to get to the bolt you need to drill to get the ignition off. Any pictures. Once you have done that how do you get it back together again.

I cannot turn the key at all. I do not live in town. My ignition did not play up just died. I am on a pension cannot get the car started to get it to town to see the locksmith so okay HELP!

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
okay so you strip the steering column down to get to the bolt you need to drill to get the ignition off. Any pictures. Once you have done that how do you get it back together again.

I cannot turn the key at all. I do not live in town. My ignition did not play up just died. I am on a pension cannot get the car started to get it to town to see the locksmith so okay help!

best advice wouldbe to call a mobile lock smith cost a bit but i would not be pulling the stering wheel ect apart

ConstantVelocity

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII SS M6
Here's how to get a jammed one out, GM fixed it in the states but never bothered here?!

Ignition switch problems

USA GTO's have the same part (exported monaros).

Locksmiths must get rich of vt-vz commos, such a poor design.

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
That link was very interesting

Ses

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt exec 5ltr s1
I had the same problem last week mate I called around the locksmiths in town after trying for hours to get the key to turn one of them told me he buys these ignition barrels in lots of one hundred lol so must be pretty common. In the end I got the key to turn by pushing on the centre of the barrel (the peice the key inserts into) with a screwdriver while at the same time moving the key in and out 1-2 mm and trying to turn it it worked so at least you can get it to the 'on' position to replace the barrel or drive it to the locksmith to save the call out fee. Hope it helps.

Veex

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx Berlina S2
Well guys,

It's fixed....12 locksmiths and $240 bucks later that is.
So frustrating to know I could have done it for around $100, even more frustrating to watch the locksmith work for all of 5 minutes to get it unstuck and all of 15 minutes to fit the new one....Thank you $240 bucks please.

Better then being stranded I suppose.

Thanks again guys!

NOTE TO SELF: Next time ignition starts to stick act straight away and save yourself the headaches later on.
Give us the insider info ;) what did he do/use?

Veex

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx Berlina S2
Legend..
Yep, thought the same thing about locky’s cashing in on commi’s. If it’s this common shouldn’t Holden be responsible?? Or at least reimburse the procedures cost? It’s not our fault the otherwise great car has a widespread design fault.. especially if it’s being corrected elsewhere.

Here's how to get a jammed one out, GM fixed it in the states but never bothered here?!

Ignition switch problems

USA GTO's have the same part (exported monaros).

Locksmiths must get rich of vt-vz commos, such a poor design.