Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Anyone fitted an Airhammer CAI to their LFX engine?

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
www.devildrake.deviantart.com
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
Nah - The air filter just needed a fair push to get into the bit it needed to.

EDIT: What I mean by that is when i finally noticed it could go further down and re-moved the piping thinking that was it - and it wasn't. I'll completely re-do on Saturday and post results.

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
Try disconnecting the pipe going from the MAF to the pod fiilter so only the maf and the pipe between the maf and the throttle body remain hooked up. Take it for a drive and see if it's still lacking power. It'll be ok without the filter for a test drive. I'm wondering if there is a restriction in either the pod filter or the box the pod filter is mounted in.
At least you can narrow the issue down...

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
Yeh I was going to just put the pod on the end of the maf pipe and try that - If it was still doing it I would then try that.

Not sure why one bit of pipe would block all that air but maybe something is wrong with the Pod - who knows. You can definitely hear it sucking when you start it up though. I reckon the PCV hose isn't breathing properly. But i don't see why..

MACE

Reaction score
Hey guys

As title suggests - I just finished fitting mine (mind you it almost seemed like it wouldn't fit together properly - but that's a different story) and went for a drive.

First up, sounded great had more induction note for sure, even when driving. Has a noticeable amount of response down low.

Main issue I'm having is I go up about 3-4K Rev's and it seems like it's not getting enough air? The revs start building some-what lower than usual with less power.

Anyone else has this issue with the LFX trying to adjust to the new air intake? Idling/reving on the spot is no problems at all.

I had put a fair bit of pipe into the air filter though as it wouldn't fit otherwise.. and even then it was a VERY tight fit..

Anyone else have drama's fitting? Hoping to hear mainly from LFX owners as I think this kit i have is slightly different to how it needs to be for fitting as I had to buy more parts for it (roughly $20).

Cheers, here's some pics (FYI not having a go at Mace - Steve helped me out with this one just wanted to know others input on it.) It looks like it's fit straight on with the MAF pipe but It isn't.. had to sort of go on an angle.

I CANNOT feel/hear any air leaks.. but I could be wrong.

EDIT: Just adjusted a little more and the A/F is properly secured onto pipe rather than alot of it in - Still has the same issue though.

Kinda bummed at the moment, went for a drive and you can EASILY hear the induction roar but just the real lack of power that's heaps less than usual. I hope it's a learning thing but I wont find out for 6 months without a license. Only took it for a 30 minute spin around my block few times.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Ok three main things that could be giving you the grief that you're experiencing, assuming that everything has been installed 100% perfectly

*Change in fueling requirements based on what is commanded by the standard calibration. The main reason for this change is that the MAF operating characteristics have changed due to the upgraded air intake. Two ways around this which would be to rack up a number of kilometers such that the appropriate changes to the long term fuel trims are made automatically by the ECM, or get a tune done to suit the intake.

*ECM could be registering some form or knock. This could be false due to the air intake rattling (?), or due to the fact that the mixtures are out as the ECM hasn't have enough time to adjust.

*The torque management within the factory calibration may be holding the power output back, as the power output that CAI makes tends to be higher in the higher RPM range.

The only way to really know though would be to take some logs of your vehicle.

Generally speaking the threshold for mods on newer vehicles is becoming less and less, resulting in a greater importance on getting the car tuned when even simple mods are done.

In saying this though, I'm genuinely surprised as to what you're experiencing as I've never come across this problem before in this context. The only thing that I can suggest to improve the performance of the air hammer kit is to cut a portion of the bumper liner as per the instructions.

Hope this helps

Kindest Regards,
Steve

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
Well little update - Didn't try putting original back on, but pull almost all the pipe off and ran just the pod and still had a hissy fit so i'll wait til i finish fitting up my exhaust this weekend and organise a tune. Could easily smell it running rich so it'll need to be looked at.