Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Anyone managed to update GPS data yet?

1qazwsx4

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB commodore sedan RS
Yep another GPS thread... Wondered if anyone has managed to update it even have a dealer update their GPS maps?

Yes I know I can use carplay/aa but I like the OEM integration with the HUD and displaying road speed limits on the dash etc.

Red needle VXR 2018 for additional info

Cheers

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
knowing holden they probably didnt even release a au/nz update, the zb lifecycle was so short they probably said stuff it.

1qazwsx4

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB commodore sedan RS
knowing holden they probably didnt even release a au/nz update, the zb lifecycle was so short they probably said stuff it.
Yeah that's pretty much what I'm expecting but perhaps someone has worked out who supplies the OEM maps that can be purchased independently of dealers? Pretty sad that they didn't enable a way for users to update the maps for the last people who actually brought their vehicles.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
holden probably locked it down like the vf, but i swear i remember someone posting a link that had updates for some gm vehicles which was from one of the mapdata providers like here maps.

i was going to install the satnav system into my rs but since installing aawireless my phone is always connected so it is just easier to say hey googoo navigate to ... and it does it plus i never have to worry about nav updates.

1qazwsx4

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB commodore sedan RS
holden probably locked it down like the vf, but i swear i remember someone posting a link that had updates for some gm vehicles which was from one of the mapdata providers like here maps.

i was going to install the satnav system into my rs but since installing aawireless my phone is always connected so it is just easier to say hey googoo navigate to ... and it does it plus i never have to worry about nav updates.
I've normally got torque/poweramp running on my headunit but I do like the factory nav for the speed signage on the HUD and dash (not quite speed sign recognition) sadly some roads are reduced speed now so it'll show 100 but it should be 80 etc... Sold my aa wireless and got a carlinkit to run android and love it

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
There was an update released around 2018 sometime.

Depending on when the vehicle was sold the update may or may not have been done.

It's my guess there will be an upgrade pathway somehow somewhere to more recent maps. The underlying system will be in more than one model/make of car. Just a matter of someone being persistent in looking around.

1qazwsx4

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB commodore sedan RS

Depending on when the vehicle was sold the update may or may not have been done.

It's my guess there will be an upgrade pathway somehow somewhere to more recent maps. The underlying system will be in more than one model/make of car. Just a matter of someone being persistent in looking around.
Yeah it seems like the Buick regal lads have access but the issue is maps for Australia/NZ don't seem to be available... Apparently a USB update that is hard coded to a cars vin when accessed so it can't be reused on any other vehicles etc.

StrayKiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY18 ZB VXR

I asked about a GPS update in early 2020 between the COVID lockdowns when I was getting my car serviced, the Holden Service Centre said there wasn't one available. Haven't bothered to ask since.

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
I asked about a GPS update in early 2020 between the COVID lockdowns when I was getting my car serviced, the Holden Service Centre said there wasn't one available. Haven't bothered to ask since.
I asked too and basically got told the same thing. I think that response was around a current or up to date update.

However I also found out from the dealership that there was an update which may or may not have been applied to my car before it was sold. I'm pretty sure it wasn't.

What annoys me is the database was way out of date from when the car was new. I think they have a moral responsibility to at least ensure it's up to date when the car goes out the showroom door.

Also I think if they won't provide updates they need to allow a pathway for the owners to use a third party.

Last edited:

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
the part that i find annoying is that they lock the update down with an encryption key, packaging method and vin number.

the mapdata which would be the same data found on all sorts of devices has to be packaged up using gms software tool and the key only known to them so it makes it impossible for the owner of the vehicle to update the maps without getting it from gm.