Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Anyone managed to update GPS data yet?

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
the part that i find annoying is that they lock the update down with an encryption key, packaging method and vin number.

the mapdata which would be the same data found on all sorts of devices has to be packaged up using gms software tool and the key only known to them so it makes it impossible for the owner of the vehicle to update the maps without getting it from gm.
I agree, however locking things down like this to corner the market isn't unique to GM. I would pay $99 every year or two like they can in the US to get updated maps.

When Holden cannot or will not provide updates even from new thus crippling one of the features the car was advertised with, then, in my opinion they have a moral obligation to providing a pathway for owners to use a third party.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
In car sat nav info needs a serious look at by ACCC.
These are features that are a big selling point on a car. If it wasn’t, then they wouldn’t have them.

Even our new Santa Fe has out dated info. Incorrect speed zones, roads that are incorrect or speed/red light camera locations that are out dated. It only adds to a degree of difficulty for the driver.

If these systems are offered, they need to be easily updated by the owner. The manufacturers need to be more accountable to maintain driver assistance features.

Say I’m driving along and the Heads Up is showing speed zone is 80. I don’t notice a sign and get busted because the zone is now 70. Their disclaimers etc will say, watch the road. Fine, but they shouldn’t display the speed zone if they regard it as irrelevant. Their system guides a driver to break a road rule without true intention to.

They design it all so info is displayed as you drive. If it is a disposable feature, they should not be allowed to be factory options. End of story.

VZ maps, VE maps, Falcon maps, Hyundai, VF maps, the list goes on.

Stroppy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Sportwagon
I'm thinking of buying a Calais V 2018 model. It has the HUD. Now I might reconsider reading this as the HUD was the main feature I liked.

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
The HUD displays a lot more stuff than just nav data. Plus nav still works pretty well except for areas where there have been roading changes.

Not a reason not to buy the car IMO.

1qazwsx4

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB commodore sedan RS
To anyone looking at purchasing, keep an eye out for your rear diff... I had VXR for 3 months and had nothing but issues. and the final straw was the diff covered in oil. Dealer was great to deal with but I had no faith in the vehicle so I returned it. Genuinely disappointed because it was an amazing vehicle but it was just a financial timebomb

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
To anyone looking at purchasing, keep an eye out for your rear diff... I had VXR for 3 months and had nothing but issues. and the final straw was the diff covered in oil. Dealer was great to deal with but I had no faith in the vehicle so I returned it. Genuinely disappointed because it was an amazing vehicle but it was just a financial timebomb
i have seen a few posts about this with the vxr, i wonder why this is such a problem with them.
i am glad i went with the povo vxr (rs awd) lol

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
i have seen a few posts about this with the vxr, i wonder why this is such a problem with them.
i am glad i went with the povo vxr (rs awd) lol
The power train mechanicals on all the V6 AWD models is exactly the same as far as I know. The differences are in the suspension and rims plus the VXR mode which I think is a recalibration of gearbox change points and perhaps steering response.

My RSV had a leaking rear diff which was dealt with under warranty. Touch wood it's been OK since then. I would be hitting the dealer up about fixing the leaking diff since it's a known issue and it's possible the leak predates any warranty expiry.

Reactions: Lex

StrayKiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY18 ZB VXR
The differences are in the suspension and rims plus the VXR mode which I think is a recalibration of gearbox change points and perhaps steering response

VXR mode adjusts the shift map, adaptive damper settings and adaptive cruise control response. I haven't noticed any change in steering response.