Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

anyone tried Champix to quit smoking?

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
Cold turkey is the only way. It is all about will power and self control...

nf_vrII

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 Ford AU II Falcon
I was on champix 2 months ago. It didn't really work on me to be honest. Into week 2 I quit for about 8 days in total (better than the usual 13-24 hrs by cold turkey). After the 8 days (while still on the champix) I was back to smoking again.

Champix pretty much made me sleep all the time. Had some horrific dreams on it too. Noticed while I was on them I was starting to eat more.

In the end I stopped taking them because I was still smoking while on them after a month and a half of taking them!

I'll probably give champix another go when I can get another prescription again (next yr).

might be a bit of a hijack, but what posesses smokers to take up smoking in the first place?

I was 14 when I first started smoking. One day I decided to try it and thought "wow this isn't too bad I don't mind it at all!" So pretty much at recess and lunchtime at school me & a couple of mates would sit right at the back of the playground and just chill out and have a smoke. Although right up until the age of 18, I was only a social smoker...one every couple of months. When I turned 18, I started going out and drinking and thats how I became addicted to cigarettes. I'm 20 now and have tried to give up numerous times and unsuccessful each time.

alexasmokes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
Hey bud, have you seen the freaking list of side effects? I mean... it's something... here's just a portion of it! sudden severe itchy swellings, severe painful red blisters the skin with chills, fever, aching muscles and generally feeling unwell, breathing problems, stomach or bowel problems, wheezing, constipation, difficulty breathing, feeling bloated, shortness of breath, indigestion, dry mouth, vomiting... and it goes on... http://e-cigarette-review.net/champix-chantix-varenicline-side-effects/I'll tell you what, I quit smoking using electronic cigarettes, you simply keep reducing the strength of the nicotine cartridges every month or so... it took me a good 2-3 months, but hey, it beats puking blood lol :)

shaggy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
Not so simple

I took a puff only once in my life just to see whats its like. GAWD its awful, How can people get addicted to this kind of stuff??
I mean seriously, it does not taste, smell good either. Whats so special about that makes people addicted to it?? I must be missing something here...

By the way GOOD LUCK!!!!

Well, it's not so simple. Many of us grew up at a period when it was the norm to smoke. Our parents did it, our uncles, aunties, grand-parents etc. In fact it was generally acceptable to smoke. I grew up in a house where everyone smoked so my future as a smoker was pretty much set. My mum smoked two packs Rothmans plain a day. My dad smoked at home in the evenings and week ends. They often played cards with my uncle who chain smoked champion roll-your-owns and my siblings and I would often get to play cards with them before bed time. So there, you'd have the whole family together happily playing cards around the dining table in a smoke filled room.

I hope that paints a general picture of what it was like for my generation and probably the one before. I'm 49 and after 33 years smoking am still trying to quit. I've made many serious attempts over the last ten years. I've just started on champix and hope that finally I can say good bye to the damn coffin nails.

Please don't take such an attitude towards smokers. It's bad enough that we do smoke and for many of us becoming a smoker was per-ordained. Being made to feel like lepers and the dregs of society doesn't help, it just causes more stress and makes picking up that next cigarette ever so much easier.

Pie-VK

That guy.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Series I VY SS Ute 5.7/M6
I used champix for a while

it gave me.some crazy nightmares

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
I mentioned this in another thread but my brother was admitted to hospital with a serious heart condition after using champix. Evil stuff.

Old, thread is old

02rickg16

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ss thunder ute 2012
i used them once before and gave up for 1 year and started up again start again first week in thay worked last time hope to kick it this time good luck ;-]