Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Are 20's too big?

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
I think 20's can look ok. Unless you have coilovers then you have to use 225 rubber and it looks crap! Tyres are skinnier than the wheels!

Agreed :thumbsup:

19 inch and 20 inch tyres are about the same price. but as i said before a 20 inch tyre usually doesnt have the correct load rating for a commy, ive been pulled up by nsw coppers and they dont say **** about my 20's, even though i have like 275 tyres on the rear. just depends on how bad the coppers are in your area

275's on the rears with 20s? u got a pic of those id like 2 see them on? and r they on ur VR?

lol, yes the tyre price is worth a set of rims alone

Just make sure u dont go the cheap way out yes they mayb expensive but if u can afford a set of 20's u should b able 2 spend up properly on a decent set of 20 tyres and not just the 1st cheap set u see that has the right load rating. Otherwise if u cant afford it go down 2 18s.

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
it'll b on ur plac card under the bonnet or they might even b in the inside of ur doors i think on these models.

YEP-20S

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Clubsport
yeah man i got 275/30r20s on my VR Calais 5.0. The rear rims are 9.5 inches wide they look pretty sweet, pretty expensive though. ill post a photo soon. There is already some pics in my profile if ya wanna take a look but ill post a pic of the rear tyres soon.

zouse

I Love my VT
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt acclaim
yeah man i got 275/30r20s on my VR Calais 5.0. The rear rims are 9.5 inches wide they look pretty sweet, pretty expensive though. ill post a photo soon. There is already some pics in my profile if ya wanna take a look but ill post a pic of the rear tyres soon.

Nice i like them! u have any complaints bout them?

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore V6 S2 and a BA XR6T
in QLD here the current law is you cannot go more then 2 inches bigger then the biggest size rim your car came out with (particular model came out with). However i have see countless times cops let them off for havering huge (20+) rims on....

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
in QLD here the current law is you cannot go more then 2 inches bigger then the biggest size rim your car came out with (particular model came out with). However i have see countless times cops let them off for havering huge (20+) rims on....

Goddamn i've already done this once this thread. That is wrong. 15mm +/- original overall rolling diameter of tyre+rim combination. Every state except SA (and perhaps NT).

Paiste402

My workin on the car face
Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 EB Fairmont Ghia
20s are uber lame. Keep it to 19s maximum, less wank factor.

i have to agree, i reckon 18-19''s look good. They are sporty and subtle. I may get flamed for this but i really dont like big 20'' BLING mags. I end up hating the car they are on rather than respecting the money used to mod it.

YEP-20S

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Clubsport
Just updated some pics of my calais in my profile...................