Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

are front brake calliper bolts torque-to-yield?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I'll also add if I'm working on a customers car I'll recomend replacing bolts where the torque info states to. But sometimes it's not my call.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
As far as caliper slide bolts are concerned I just never undo them (most mechanics do) as I'll remove the caliper off the anchor points and do everything I have to then re-attach them. The anchor bolts are just straight normal bolts and can be reused a hundred times or more, thus no extra cost involved.

In most workshops the lazy way is to undo the top slide bolt and hinge the body open to replace the pads, but they'll never replace the slide bolts nor will they apply any loctite either.

Point blank...................I never trust any of these so-called factory trained technicians as that line is all BS, they all migrate around from workshop to workshop seeking a better deal for themselves. In other words, less work, more money.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
As far as caliper slide bolts are concerned I just never undo them (most mechanics do) as I'll remove the caliper off the anchor points and do everything I have to then re-attach them. The anchor bolts are just straight normal bolts and can be reused a hundred times or more, thus no extra cost involved.

In most workshops the lazy way is to undo the top slide bolt and hinge the body open to replace the pads, but they'll never replace the slide bolts nor will they apply any loctite either.

Point blank...................I never trust any of these so-called factory trained technicians as that line is all BS, they all migrate around from workshop to workshop seeking a better deal for themselves. In other words, less work, more money.

Some cars don't allow that as abruptment shims have tangs that stop removal of the pads inwards. I think VE have this and mazda 6 and a few other cars.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
The issue is though if every other workshop re-uses caliper bolts and you're the only work shop that charges the extra $20 a bolt you don't win quotes.
That's simply a justification for performing non compliant work and a justificationfor a slide to the bottom.

If the manufacturer specified that a bolt should be replaced on removal, then that's what any competent mechanic must do or decline the work...
I'll also add if I'm working on a customers car I'll recomend replacing bolts where the torque info states to. But sometimes it's not my call.
The law is a funny thing as your level of workmanship is not the customers responsability :eek:

Simply put, if the customer has a failure because you didn't replace TTY bolts, you will be held liable in a court. The fact the customer didn't want to spend the extra money for new bolts is irrelevant. The law will see you as the expert and will see it as your failure to not do what must be done. That's because they will expect you to do the job to industry standards or decline the job (i.e. not do a substandard job).

But hey, anything for a dollar... :oops:

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
That's simply a justification for performing non compliant work and a justificationfor a slide to the bottom.

If the manufacturer specified that a bolt should be replaced on removal, then that's what any competent mechanic must do or decline the work...
The law is a funny thing as your level of workmanship is not the customers responsability :eek:

Simply put, if the customer has a failure because you didn't replace TTY bolts, you will be held liable in a court. The fact the customer didn't want to spend the extra money for new bolts is irrelevant. The law will see you as the expert and will see it as your failure to not do what must be done. That's because they will expect you to do the job to industry standards or decline the job (i.e. not do a substandard job).

It's different here in the ACT as the buisness must be licenced and have a manager that is qualified. The buisness is liable for any court cases.
In NSW each mechanic is licenced and liable for their own work. So I just do what my boss tells me but if I see something totally wrong I will refuse to do it.

But all this BS is one more reason I'm moving into heavy fitter.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
what ? where the liability is even bigger and much bigger consequences as an end result.

No because you don't have to quote the customer. You say this 2million dollar machince needs XYZ and you get XYZ. So if any bolts need replacing you just get them and no one blinks an eye.
In light auto the margins are tighter.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
It's different here in the ACT as the buisness must be licenced and have a manager that is qualified. The buisness is liable for any court cases.
In NSW each mechanic is licenced and liable for their own work. So I just do what my boss tells me but if I see something totally wrong I will refuse to do it.

But all this BS is one more reason I'm moving into heavy fitter.

You put your name on a job card as doing the job, YOU are responsible for the work performed on that car...So don't try the old palm off trick....It doesn't matter if you are in ACT or in NT, as a mechanic you are licenced to perform that work all around Australia and are responsible for your work performed....So again, don't try the palm off trick

Another thing that I find rather intreguing is, you were admidant that you don't have to replace TTY bolts everytime, now you are doing a complete back flip..Why?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
what ? where the liability is even bigger and much bigger consequences as an end result.

Just look at it this way....A diesel engine from a truck goes kerboom, it's a cool $60K+ to rebuild.....If it's a petrol engine from a car, we're only looking at $10K+.....

The company might love him, for the extra business he creates as a result of shonkiness ;)

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

I honestly think he forgets he is part of the Motor Trades Association of Australia (not of the ACT) and being a member of that association, he is licenced to perform this form of work and is responsible for his work performed throughout Australia....

I also think he forgets, the business isn't going to cop the whole blame if things go pear shaped....They will pull out the job card relating to a particular vehicle, see who performed the work and that person will be standing right beside them looking at the man behind the desk....

Of course, the possibility is, he doesn't actually put his name on the job card and palms it off on the poor bloke working beside him, therefore denying all responsibility for his stuff ups :)