Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Are GM Aussie management still living in a river in Egypt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reacher

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Caprice
don't see where @Ginger Beer wrote this ......
"In Dec 2004 I bought a brand new GTO for $19,300. That was with a $10,000 rebate to the dealer from GM, who lost money on everyone they sold"
What Ginger Bear wrote was:
Historically typical to the 2004 Monaro, about $50k AUD new, and the 2004 Pontiac GTO for $32k USD

I responded to that with "In Dec 2004 I bought a brand new GTO for $19,300. That was with a $10,000 rebate to the dealer from GM, who lost money on everyone they sold"

I did not intend what I wrote to be placed in the quote, but it was. I'm sure you can see this but if you were confused, now I've clarified.

The photo of the new K frame brace was to update this with the fact that I still have the 2004 GTO I wrote about. For a new 04 GTO it was a great price. By Dec 04 the LS2 05 GTOs were on the lot and the dealers could not sell a 04 without a deep discount. They didn't have any easier a time selling the 05 and 06 either. As I wrote, GM lost money on everyone they sold.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I did not intend what I wrote to be placed in the quote, but it was. I'm sure you can see this but if you were confused, now I've clarified.
No, I was not confused .......... it seems you were on how to correctly make a quote.
The news media calls it spin or selective editing ...... making people to appear to say things out of context to change the meaning.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
I don't see where @Ginger Beer wrote this ......
"In Dec 2004 I bought a brand new GTO for $19,300. That was with a $10,000 rebate to the dealer from GM, who lost money on everyone they sold"

When quoting somebody, at least get it correct. I am sure that Ginger Beer would have loved a new HSV GTO for $19,300 ........... but that didn't happen.
Yes, I wish I did get a new GTO in 2004 for $19k

I would have optioned it without the ugly GTO front bar that some had, or the silly pointless bonnet with Ford XB-XC style intakes

Reacher

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Caprice
Yes, I wish I did get a new GTO in 2004 for $19k
Yes it was a once in a life time deal. No ugly front bar nor the silly non functional "intakes".
GM sent me a month later a large folio with details like " YOUR car has the ZO6 T-56 transmission".
Marketing at its best. A Commodore based 04 GTO would have been more like the 64+ US GTO but for some reason they thought the Monaro would be better. It's 55/45 weight distribution did nothing to create a legendary handling car and the 50/50 of the Commodore/ Caprice body would have. Nor did the 55/45 do anything for launch. Or braking, and the tires!

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
And reasonable people call it not being very familiar with the site. That's how my quote ended up where it did.
Mistakes do occur and I’ve seen it from various members at various times but it’s easily fixed if you go back and edit the post in question.

The edit button is bottom left of you post so hit that and then hit the [ ] icon often hidden behind the 3 vertical dots on the top left. You’ll notice the following:
Code:
[quote=“Reacher, post: 3347978, member: 207814”]
Historically typical to the 2004 Monaro, about $50k AUD new, 
and the 2004 Pontiac GTO for $32k USD 
(The text you quoted)

In Dec 2004 I bought a brand new GTO for $19,300. That was 
with a $10,000 rebate to the dealer from GM, who lost money 
on everyone they sold 
(The text you typed within the quote)
[/quote]
They deserved to 
(more text you’ve typed outside the quote)
Just move (cut/paste) the text you typed within the quote block to outside the quote block and then hit post which will fix your mistake and no need to argue or explain.

You’ve now learnt how to edit malformed posts ;)

PS: you’ll also learn to toggle between bbs/html format and normal mode as you can’t add emojis in bbs/html mode unless you know the code for them :p

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Yes it was a once in a life time deal. No ugly front bar nor the silly non functional "intakes".
GM sent me a month later a large folio with details like " YOUR car has the ZO6 T-56 transmission".
Marketing at its best. A Commodore based 04 GTO would have been more like the 64+ US GTO but for some reason they thought the Monaro would be better. It's 55/45 weight distribution did nothing to create a legendary handling car and the 50/50 of the Commodore/ Caprice body would have. Nor did the 55/45 do anything for launch. Or braking, and the tires!
They are great cruisers that love eating up miles though, and as a coupe, they have that "pseodo" performance aspect when rolling slow and "lowish" over the "family based grocery getter" 4 door

The only reason I never got a Monaro coupe was the limited space for rear passengers (3 teenage kids)

Reacher

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Caprice
They are great cruisers that love eating up miles though, and as a coupe, they have that "pseodo" performance aspect when rolling slow and "lowish" over the "family based grocery getter" 4 door
All true
I still have mine because it made the perfect "teach the kids to drive stick" and eventually my daughter just could not resist it.

Status
Not open for further replies.