Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Are nitrous systems legal in QLD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diesel_junkie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Well street tiers are quite obviously normal road tiers. Unless Of course your picking on my grammar.
I too would be concerned with running street tyers on the street... whatever they are :hmmm:

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
ok i cannot be bothered making a new thread for this.

ive looked at importing a car, it has a full nitrous set up in it. however if its not "hooked up" with a full bottle (empty or no bottle) is that still illegal?\
i only ask because its an awesome car. and becuase there seems to be alot of incompeltes around it
(car is a 69 chevy nova with a 383 in it)

if not is it hard to take it off?

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
In QLD it is illegal to have ANY component of a nitrous system fitted to your regoed car.

Obviously for this reason, insurance will skip off into the sunset, making confetti out of your policy papers should they find out.

The OP is a bit weird.
I havent heard anyone say that the 200 dry shot is a bit out of reach with most of the fuel systems on here.

iUte

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute 328RWkW 3.9 LSD Rip Shifter
Sabbath,

I am no expert and never said i was (you did infact which says a lot about your own knowledge or lack there of). I used to help a close mate about 10 yrs ago who lives interstate now, play around with nitrous systems on many Harley Davidsons and yes have seen one installed on a V8 in the manner I descried (a HQ 350 chev with 750dp, which is slightly different to the fuel injected L98 i currently have hence my asking).

In the thread I genuinely asked if it was legal, which was answered (NO not in QLD), and also inquired about price and sizing of a system to suite my engine ... once again, read the thread.

In future you should read the thread and answer the question asked and if you don't know (which is pretty obvious now that you know about as much as the guy who works at 7/11 and watches to fast too furious) then don't bother replying with an answer you are unsure of, let someone who does know reply.

I asked you how much a system of the size you suggested would cost and tips on how to conceal it on an L98 engine/VE arrangement (hence me posting this on the VE section of the website). If you dont know or dont want to help then thats fine, I just dont have the time to get into a pissing contest with someone who probably knows less than me by the sound of it.

I'm hear to talk about the topic and gather information, not get into a childish pissing contest, sorry mate!

iUte

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute 328RWkW 3.9 LSD Rip Shifter
So one minute you're clueless:

And the next you're some expert who's got a "friend" who's an expert.

Which is it?

ok i cannot be bothered making a new thread for this.

ive looked at importing a car, it has a full nitrous set up in it. however if its not "hooked up" with a full bottle (empty or no bottle) is that still illegal?\
i only ask because its an awesome car. and becuase there seems to be alot of incompeltes around it
(car is a 69 chevy nova with a 383 in it)

if not is it hard to take it off?

Good question, For an insurance company to not pay you out on an accident due to an illegal modification to a car, I was always told that the illegal or "unroad worthy" defect on the car had to be a contributing factor to the accident ie 22inch rims can effect stability control systems and ABS operation. But having nitrous system plumbing on a car with the actual bottle removed isn't going to be a contributing factor in causing an accident, aslong as you can prove the car had no bottle hooked up to it at the time of the accident (which could be tricky). eg It would be like the insurance company arguing that a towbar that obstructs the rear numberplate view (which is unroadworthy) caused you to run into the back of someone at an intersection, its pretty unlikely that the towbar caused the accident or contributed to it, but technically it still makes your car just as unroadworthy as having a cracked windshield, 22inch rims on a VE commodore or having NOS system plumbing installed. All these things are illegal and make the car unroadworthy, but i dont think an insurance company would deny payment for theft if the car had a cracked windsheild, or towbar obstructing a numberplate. Infact if they found a plumbed up nitrous system in your car when recovering it from theft you can always lie and say that the thieves must have installed it (and broke the windsheild at the same time 'the bastards') lol.

Its probably best to read the policy wording all insurance companies policies are worded differently.

But im sure state to state has different rules and different ways they handle defects on vehicles. I am hoping that in QLD they only issue you with a fine without demerit points and whack a defect notice on the car. If I can keep insurance on the vehicle and thats the only thing i have to worry about, then i'll pay half a dozen fines in advance.

Good luck in finding out mate!

Fight the war, #### the law!

Last edited:

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
Well street tiers are quite obviously normal road tiers. Unless Of course your picking on my grammar.

Sorry, I was talking about road traiyierz suitable for normal everyday traiyierzing :p

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
But im sure state to state has different rules and different ways they handle defects on vehicles. I am hoping that in QLD they only issue you with a fine without demerit points and whack a defect notice on the car. If I can keep insurance on the vehicle and thats the only thing i have to worry about, then i'll pay half a dozen fines in advance.

Good luck in finding out mate!

Fight the war, #### the law!

I must be getting too old... because what you've said above doesnt exactly instill me with a lot of confidence that you actually understand WHY the laws are there in the first place. You're worried about defect notices and fines, when you should be worried about why NOS installed on the street is bad news. Why the #### do you want NOS on the street anyway? Are you that desperate to take your life (or worse someone else's) using NOS on a public road? Wake up dude.

SilverVH

Banned
Reaction score
UFO: Why is "NOS" (actually nitrous, NOS is a brand of nitrous kit) installed on the street bad news? Also why are the laws there in the first place?

Status
Not open for further replies.