Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

are oversized wheels ruining the look of old cars?

Robbo VS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV PHANTOM
i reckon that old cars are a joke with big chromies on them, and would rather some convo-pro's or some other classic wheels.

what does everyone reckon?

Fully agree. The old WB's, HZ's, HQ's etc, should be kept with the wheel size which was designed for them (i think its 14" is'nt it?)
in some nice classic mags.
I see these wankers driving around in WB's with 20" chrome mags, it just does'nt work on the old vehicles, they are way too shiny and way too big.

Robbo VS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV PHANTOM
But then I think massive rims kill the look of any car, they're just plain ugly... Cars are supposed to have tyres, not just wheels :p

Absolutely..!!

Yep, anything bigger than about a 17" is going to destroy the look of most cars IMO. Anything with paint smears for tires is just ridiculous!

Yeah i agree. I don't like anything bigger than 18" on any car.

those wheels ruin that car

Can't argue with that.

Last edited:

1SIKR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK -Project-, VX R8 Clubsport
well i gotta say, depending on the model ... that falcon looked ... like **** to be totally honest .... and the VH .... if they where mabye 18's or 17's ... 5 spokers ... then it woulda looked nice ... but as far as im concerned .. go the right size, stick to the 5 spokers .. =) automatic thumbs up from me lol

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
It totally depends on the style of the car. A 50's/60's/70's done retro tech style needs bigger wheels to set it off however if it's done to old school muscle standards it would be ruined with anything bigger then 16's.

Oh, and if I can work out how I'll put up a pic of my BMW drift pig from NFS Shift.. it's matte black with 15 inch and 17 inch Convo Pros on it :p

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
I agree 100%...I have a 82 Camaro and she looks good on 15" with BF Goodrich tyres, I've seen 16/17/18" wheels on earlier chevs and they look out of place.

Totally agree mate.

Sometimes yes, other times no.
Chromies are a touchy subject, some look amazing and some look revolting.
No one tell me that this doesnt look good:
15556_180036779148_737094148_2982303_4265023_n.jpg

15556_180036769148_737094148_2982302_7244262_n.jpg

As Greenfoam said, that looks bloody horrendous. That guy ought to be shot....That car would look 1000x better with some Convo Pros or original Centrelines on it.

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
I believe the answers you seek lie in the term BILLET... :D

I've seen some very tidy billet rims, which if ever i get the chance, would like to put a set onto a HQ or something similar... And they weren't 14's/15's thats for sure...:rofl2:

IMO, Fully Sick Chrome Uleh, looks ****, whatever car its on. (or at least 99% of them do) :banstick:

I can appreciate how nice the old school look, looks. (IMO) Dragways, Centrelines Convo Pro's etc Are all timeless rims,
But, I intend to run 20's of some sort, if not, definately no les than 18's on my VH Project, because I FEEL that the guards are big enough to take a wheel that size, ;)

To tell someone they're wrong, and say something looks ****, after they have just said that they like it, is just plain wrong, and pretty much rude. (Although, im not a fan of THOSE rims on the hoey :p)

Everyone has different tastes, and whos to say, if you grew up with the technology around, being able to make rims the size they do, and have low profile tyres like we do today, that your opinions would differ...? :hmmm:

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore HSV(without all the gay ****)
I believe the answers you seek lie in the term BILLET... :D

I've seen some very tidy billet rims, which if ever i get the chance, would like to put a set onto a HQ or something similar... And they weren't 14's/15's thats for sure...:rofl2:

IMO, Fully Sick Chrome Uleh, looks ****, whatever car its on. (or at least 99% of them do) :banstick:

I can appreciate how nice the old school look, looks. (IMO) Dragways, Centrelines Convo Pro's etc Are all timeless rims,
But, I intend to run 20's of some sort, if not, definately no les than 18's on my VH Project, because I FEEL that the guards are big enough to take a wheel that size, ;)

To tell someone they're wrong, and say something looks ****, after they have just said that they like it, is just plain wrong, and pretty much rude. (Although, im not a fan of THOSE rims on the hoey :p)

Everyone has different tastes, and whos to say, if you grew up with the technology around, being able to make rims the size they do, and have low profile tyres like we do today, that your opinions would differ...? :hmmm:

i agree its really down to personal opinion, i reckon the GT looks fantastic. but over kill isnt so great, like the VK in one of the recent street macine mags with like 24 inch rims is overkill

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Some people seem to get off on the diameter of the wheel, rather then what it looks like.

BoNeZ-01

"..of mice and men.."
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 50th Anniversary
I think that's true too, as if the bigger the diameter, the higher your street rep is.. :rolleyes:
Thanx to crap rap vids n ****, it makes you gangsta if you roll on 20's or bigger.. :coolpimp: